View Full Version : Do you do data?

3g-g
30th April 2005, 12:17 PM
In continuation from Bleubeans thread about videocalling I wondered if anyone has taken up the real advantage that 3G brings us, well as long as you're not on 3 that is, i.e. the ability to use your handset as a "high speed" modem. Vote in the poll and post your findings, discussion points or any questions you may have below.

In my own working life I use the Orange 3G network everyday, paired to my laptop for remote data use. I find it very useable, quick and reliable. As a little aside to the previous poll about videocalling, I have even had a MSN video conversation using my 3G handset as the modem, although not broadband like with the image movement it wasn't too bad!

@NickyColman
30th April 2005, 12:49 PM
I voted NO. Unfortunately, being a 3 customer, i didnt get the choice!!

Ben
30th April 2005, 01:15 PM
3G data is fantastic! I want my network to be an ISP (which all the networks are heavily resisting) so I can use it to connect to a range of services which I choose. Before my 6680 I used MSN/streaming/web/email on my iPAQ via the Z1010. Now I can just do everything on the 6680 itself. I'll use the 6680 as a modem for my laptop too, but haven't had the need yet.

I think streaming 3G radio will be huge when players like the BBC launch a player or compatible streams - but deals need to be done to reduce the data cost (Virgin are currently working on this).

Jon3G
30th April 2005, 09:12 PM
yes, I use Voda for 3G data.

Question

As anyone here got knowledge of VPN's

3g-g
30th April 2005, 09:15 PM
yes, I use Voda for 3G data.

Question

As anyone here got knowledge of VPN's

To what extent? Whats the question?

Jon3G
30th April 2005, 09:17 PM
I am having a nightmare setting up a VPN at my office at work to connect via VPN. I am using XP on my laptop and Server 2003 on the server at work

Ben
1st May 2005, 07:22 PM
Was speeding around while using Agile Messenger and the web browser yesterday evening - was great! My thumb isn't half sore though!

Instant messaging could so easily revolutionise the way we use our mobiles.

delinquentwoody
1st May 2005, 07:33 PM
Definitely I agree. I used to use MSN messenger via WAP before i joined 3 a year ago, and i still think it would be useful to me sometimes.

I voted no in the poll, obviously being on 3, but when i get my orange phone (6680 when its out lol) i probably will use it for data

getti
1st May 2005, 11:01 PM
I will definatly be using it for data. Once I get my laptop in 2 weeks and I have a 6680 I will make use of the 50mb of data I get free per month. I use about 4mb max on the phone so the rest can be for emails, browsing and uploading changes on my site. The laptop im getting has built in WiFi so of course, if I can find anywhere with an open connection I will use their bandwith :D.

Amazing how many open WiFi signals there are to pick up on

Jon3G
2nd May 2005, 11:08 AM
Yes, I know

In my office block that we share with other companys, I pick up 3 open networks. (I used them while our BB was down). The other day I was traveling and I had my PDA wifi turned on and it must have picked up about 15 sources while I was out and about and at least 6 were open.

getti
2nd May 2005, 11:44 AM
How can you tell if they are open? I have never used WiFi before but if i came across an open signal, i would use it to browse the net.

How would i connect to that point and use IE or Firefox?

Jon3G
2nd May 2005, 11:48 AM
2 ways

On my PDA you need you have to attempt to connect and if its open it will just let u in. On my PDA also it has a key symbol that tells you if a pin is required.

On my laptop, it just tells you if its a open access point or not

Jon3G
2nd May 2005, 11:49 AM
Can you tell what you are connecting with (or trying to)

Jon3G
2nd May 2005, 11:49 AM
To what extent? Whats the question?

Can you help

getti
2nd May 2005, 11:51 AM
Can you tell what you are connecting with (or trying to)

Well nothing yet because I dont have the laptop :p .
Im getting it on the 13th when i get paid but just wanted to know a little about WiFi

Jon3G
2nd May 2005, 11:57 AM
well if its got built in Wifi then use the windows wifi connect client, its really easy to use and simple. When you open the client up it will search for access points and then list them, you simply click on the one u want and if it open and no password bingo your in.

Simple

Getti

Do you know anything about VPN's? and laptop you getting