View Full Version : To touch or not to touch? That is the question

Hands0n
8th September 2007, 11:25 AM
The mobile phone world is buzzing with talk and some evidence of new handsets coming out sporting touch-screen User Interfaces (UI). The most famous on the planet has to be the Apple iPhone which appears to have set the standard. Other manufacturers have either responded (before or after) or can be expected to.

So my question to the esteemed members of Talk3G relates to the new UI. While it is almost irrelevant to 3G, the UI paradigm is the only way that we are able to interact with our handsets. I don't anticipate a wholesale move away from mechanical buttons - although that has very many cost benefits to the manufacturers. But I do expect the touchscreen UI to feature more broadly across handset ranges.

Will this be a flash in the pan, or is it the right way to go? Cast your opinion in the vote below and tell us your thoughts, opinions and experiences.

I have voted "Yes" as I do feel that it is the way forward for the UI - freeing up manufacturers from the restrictions of fixed use buttons. Even when they make the mechanical buttons multi-use it only becomes confusing for the end user. A graphical and dynamic UI such as in touchscreen leads to a much more functional handset. But the manufacturers have got to get the UI right and not just do touchscreen for its own sake. I believe Apple's UI is the standard bearer right now.

Ben
8th September 2007, 05:02 PM
Done right, it's a yes from me, but that's not the whole story.

I'd also like to see more keypads with buttons that are adaptable. The technology works by having small displays on the buttons so the software can control what the keys are.

Whether touch will be the way forward I'm not so sure, but right now it's the way we need to go if we're ever going to bridge the massive HCI (human computer interface) issues we, as a race, have run up against.

Hands0n
8th September 2007, 05:35 PM
HCI (human computer interface)...... .

*Chuckles* How PC everything is these days.

*said in a broad fake-Yorkshire accent* "Eeeeeeee when I were 'lad we used to call it MMI (Man Machine Interface). In them days, girlies were not allowed near t'computer" :D :D :D

Back on topic - yes, the HCI gap is beginning to show ever moreso as we develop new applications and services. I think the built-in pointing device is a good way to go. But we surely must start making use of that one remaining interface, speech. Come the day when we can talk naturally to our computers we will have bridged the gap perfectly.

Ben
9th September 2007, 11:06 AM
I think the gap will be bridged perfectly when the day comes that we can communicate with our computers using just thought. The ability to control simple mechanisms using 'brain power' has already been proven, and while it's a long way from being able to have any sort of useful power over hardware I think it's definitely the end-goal. After all, who wants to talk to their computer? *Flashes of Knight Rider*

3g-g
10th September 2007, 01:33 AM
Eeeeeeee when I were 'lad we used to call it MMI (Man Machine Interface)

And you had to work down t'mine for 24 hours a day, then come home, eat crumbs from t'floor then be beaten by father with barbed wire.

Don't know you're born.

;)

Ben
10th September 2007, 02:33 AM
I can quickly see this degenerating into TalkHipReplacements.co.uk

gorilla
10th September 2007, 10:08 PM
Broadly speaking, yes I would like it, only in so far as it didn't mean bigger phones. I like the screen size of my E65 and the overall size. I could imagine using touch screen tech with it while browsing or opening apps.

Do you think it will last, or is this just a passing fad?

Hands0n
10th September 2007, 11:30 PM
I don't think it is a passing fad - but the manufacturers have got to get it right or folk will not take it on board. But surely the HCI is all important, and the existing tiny button pads cause a lot of frustration and not a little RSI. I do feel that the way that Apple and to a lesser extend LG (Prada) have implemented their respective touchscreens is on the right track.

These are very early days of the current state of development of touchscreen, so we can only be hopeful that lessons learned will be put into improved development.

gorilla
11th September 2007, 09:33 AM
What about 'mucky' screens? ;) That's one of my pet hates.
How do these screens cope with constant finger pressing?

I'm not being picky, as I like the idea, I've just never used it on a phone before.

miffed
11th September 2007, 09:44 AM
What about 'mucky' screens? ;) That's one of my pet hates.
How do these screens cope with constant finger pressing?

I'm not being picky, as I like the idea, I've just never used it on a phone before.

I think modern screens are so bright that muck and fingerprints don't really show untill the device is on standby - this really does make a difference to the user experience
I remember my first touchscreen devices were probably the a920 /a925 etc ... and with the poorer (by todays standards) screends ,the fingerprints etc were a real intrusion , but it is one of those things like glossy displays - a pain in the neck under low brightness, but not too much of a hinderance on a bright enough screen

Hands0n
11th September 2007, 07:10 PM
Yea, I'd go along with much of that. My first experience in touchscreen phones was the Motorola A1000 - I didn't like it much. But the latest play around with the LG Prada has convinced me that there is something in this after all.

Yes, for sure, the screens do get greasy against the face - especially later in the day. But a quick wipe on soft cloth seems to clean them up nicely. No more hassle than keeping a set of specatcles clean.