View Full Version : Removal of TETRA mast - a step too far?

Ben
30th April 2005, 02:24 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4500051.stm

Legal action for removal of mast

A council in Cornwall is demanding the removal of a new police radio mast.
The mast, at Treworval Farm in Mawnan Smith, was put up in November by 02 without planning permission.

An application for retrospective planning permission was refused in March and Kerrier District Council said the Tetra mast had to be removed.

On Friday the council confirmed legal papers for an enforcement notice were being prepared. O2 said the mast had been erected under "emergency powers".

A company spokesperson said it had needed to complete a chain of "transceivers" for the system, which cost nearly £3bn.

It said the company was in negotiations with the landowner and the council.

There are 200 Tetra police masts in the South West, which allow police officers to communicate over secure radio links.

The masts have prompted protests from some people at several sites in Devon and Cornwall who claim there has not been enough research into possible health risks.

TETRA is used by our emergency services here in the UK as a secure way of communication - I assume O2 won the contract as they seem to operate all the masts. I think it's disgusting that anyone would force the removal of one of these masts given the role they play. Once again, completely unfounded and unproven fears, despite numerous research projects, take their toll on mobility. Put up or shut up!

3g-g
30th April 2005, 03:52 PM
Of all the things to complain about... the emergency services. Now I can see people complaining about the mobile phone mast they can see from their back garden, fair comment, possibly not the nicest sight, at least if people are complaining about coverage they can move elsewhere (network operator wise that is).

Now can you imagine the Police, Ambulance etc are called to remote area and are unable to get comms as people have complained about that TETRA mast they don't like the look of? This is when it's a risk to someone's health... the person they're trying to save and are unable to get incontact with the a doctor or the air Ambulance. "Yeah, we got rid of that ugly mast last week, that's a victory for the small person!".. "Oh, did you hear that wee Jimmy down the road died as the Police weren't able to call an ambulance?"

O2 have a difficult enough task as it is, part of the TETRA rollout contract was that they have to supply 100% geographical coverage. I think people should think about their actions before complaining about something that could be the deciding factor in whether someone lives or dies. Of all the things that should be top priority on every member of the publics list should be the support of the emergency services.