View Full Version : I am so very bored!

Hands0n
10th September 2007, 12:07 AM
If I recall correctly, this time last year (2006) there was a real fire in my belly :) The choice of 3G handsets was fairly extensive, lots of new models and concepts on the go. A great 4th quarter of the year loomed ahead. I was itching for the year to finish because one of contracts was due to end then. I was eager to make the jump to the latest and greatest which, at the time, was scheduled to be the Nokia N95.

Fast forward to September 2007 and I am sitting here completely indifferent to the entire handset range of all manufacturers. And that includes Apple's iPhone (don't get me started on that one!). Everywhere I look the range on offer is so ........ yesterday.

What on earth am I supposed to do next month when my T-Mobile 18-month'er expires? I want to get something HSDPA to exploit Web n Walk Plus. At regular 3G speeds it is okay, but now that something rather better in the form of HSDPA exists I want a piece of the action. But what handset? The range of HSDPA handsets is lacklustre, and I for sure do not want another N95 in my pocket!

It is beginning to look like I will have to play the waiting game and let the contract run through and beyond. I'll have to save the upgrading until something I actually want arrives on the scene.

What an utterly boring [3G] time this is! I hope the manufacturers and networks have got something in the wings to cheer me up :rolleyes:

Ben
10th September 2007, 02:41 AM
Oh I'm completely bored with handsets too. But y'know what, the death of my Nokia N73 has rekindled my imagination!

The Sony Ericsson W900i is bloody fantastic. A phone like no other (geddit?), and one that I cast aside far too soon. I can't get enough of it, even with the bulk.

The other thing, though, is sitting here right now typing to you while connected over Vodafone's HSDPA network in Spain. With zero additional configuration and a palatable business expense of £8.50/day my current speed test results on my MacBook Pro are:
Download Speed: 1458 kbps (182.3 KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 313 kbps (39.1 KB/sec )

Truly sensational, mobile broadband that extends beyond boarders. Reliable, dependable, and frickin' fast - with ~200ms pings to London going via a VPN in Kent it's finger lickin' good. This amount of freedom is empowering and it's only a matter of time before more people are able to enjoy the privilege that is HSPA.

Hands0n
10th September 2007, 06:43 AM
With zero additional configuration

Dunno how you did that Ben. But I had to get some additional scripts to enable the MBP to use my Nokia N63 as a 3G modem. It wouldn't work "out of the box"

For sure, Mobile Data is my current passion. The tariffs for some of the networks are becoming digestable for the average person in the street. T-Mobile still has the edge on Price/Quantity but others are playing catch up, some quicker than others.

But that seems to be it at the moment. I can pick up any HSDPA handset and chuck it in my pocket/bag. Apart from using it as a high-speed 3.5G modem that would be it. There'd be no actual desire/fun in using it for its core purpose, making calls, texts, videocalls, mms - that kind of stuff.

Yes, the W900i is sitting here on my desk beckoning me too :D I can't bring myself to put it back in its box, so its on permanent charge reminding me of its presence :) I wish it were HSDPA, it'd be back in my pocket in a snap. Hmmm, must give Voda a call and get it unlocked.

Ben
10th September 2007, 10:50 AM
I should add that I'm using the USB modem, not the handset, for 3G - hence the HSDPA speeds! I was just impressed that I could come here and connect in exactly the same way as I would at home. Fan-bloody-tastic it is :D

solo12002
10th September 2007, 05:16 PM
Its bad enought I dont have a HSDPA handset as yet. without Ben rubbing it in thats hes having a ball of a time over seas!

Ben focus on the data not the location, my mouth is dripping!

miffed
18th September 2007, 08:49 PM
I am having this trouble too -:(

I have a T-mobile contract , which I still use , ready for upgrade - but I am damned If I can see a handset worth having !

I have just had another look, N95 ? Vario II ? Been there , done that , I have even given the Blackberry's a closer look (then thought better of it)

I suppose I had in the back of my mind that T-mobile might get the iphone deal - but since that obviouly isn't going to happen, I may as well take the half price LR for not ugrading - or better still , re evaluate things and end the contract

Ah well !

Ben
19th September 2007, 11:54 AM
I'm still confused. The improvements to the N95 (N95 8GB) may well make it ok for me, but I was determined not to have another S60. Sony Ericsson seem to have picked now to be monumentally boring, but that W910i will be out eventually so I'll take a peak at that given that the W900i is so stellar (but old, and big).