View Full Version : My Apple honeymoon period over

miffed
16th September 2007, 05:13 PM
OK , so I have gone nearly 18 months into my Apple adventure , and TBH I am pretty p'd off now
My iMac developed a dodgy mark between the LCD & backlight , not covered by the warranty :(
My Macbook developed discoloured palmrests (known fault) - these were replaced as per warranty
It then suffered a melted charger (known fault) - this was replaced under warranty
I then got a problem with keys not responding - not a known fault , but not under warranty now so looks like it will cost to repair (documented elswhere in this forum ! )
I then notice , the topcase is starting to split around the palmrest area - I google it , and once again , known fault ! .. possibly replaceable if I still had warranty

I am starting to realise , that when you buy a Macbook , you aren't simply buying a laptop , you are buying a list of "known faults" - all ready to spring themselves at you on a "timed release" basis

TBH I was *this* close to buying an MBP - but I think I'll leave it !

Don't get me wrong , I love OS X , and I love the cosmetic appeal of the products - but the build quality is absolutely lame IMO

Ben
16th September 2007, 05:39 PM
The early macbooks were problematic, and I believe I'm right in saying yours is first gen?

Do you have Applecare? It's essential with Apple laptops, but really all Apple computers because, at the end of the day, it's only Apple that can fix them.

You should have no problems getting the case and key issues repaired under Applecare if you have it. If you don't, :( :( :(

miffed
16th September 2007, 08:20 PM
No Applecare :( ...didn't think I'd need it !

Yes , mine is a first gen one

Hands0n
16th September 2007, 08:27 PM
TBH I was *this* close to buying an MBP - but I think I'll leave it !

Blimey! I'm shocked to the core [geddit?]. Really though, I'm sitting here with the MBP on my lap, burning a hole in my thighs :D but thinking about your experiences my thoughts are that you've had a dreadful run of luck with Apple product. And I'm half wondering if that really is all that is at work here. For my own experiences are the complete opposite of yours, so far. And I think we both went in around the same period, I was a bit later.

The Macbook is a lot of plastic, and while it does look nice it does not strike me as being entirely robust. Contrast the MBP and here is a relatively solid lump of metal. It feels as tough as it looks. The casing really is industrial strength.

I never went for the iMac for a number of reasons - but I know some who have and not had anywhere near the troubles you've experienced. It must be completely annoying for you to see one after the other flake out. I'd be as irritated if it were me. The new iMacs are now made of brushed aluminium and I'd wager they'd be as tough as the MBP in terms of the casing.

But it is very disappointing to read of such quality issues in what is premium product - no matter what Apple or anyone else say about how "cheap" the Mac is against a PC. £1,300+ for a laptop (the MBP) is a premium price - worth it only if the reality meets the hype.

If I were thee, I'd make written representations to Apple UK (find the most senior name you can find). They fiercely protect their brand and I would try and exploit that passion to seek some kind of redress.

Ben
16th September 2007, 11:41 PM
All laptops are 'fragile' compared to desktops. It's the price we pay for portable systems that have to be both compact and also endure regular movement.

Applecare really is essential - but then so is Dell's 3-year warranty on its laptops etc. Unfortunately, for the first gen Macbooks Applecare is even more essential.

Btw, I don't think you can compare the MB to the MBP. Sooo different! My CD drive slot is a bit deformed, but it was fine until Serviceweb put the new keyboard in so I'm going to get them to have a look when I have time. Aluminium, eh.

miffed
17th September 2007, 04:39 PM
Not sure I subscribe to the notion that all laptops are this frail - got a sony vaio (5-6 years old ) and an IBM thnkpad that must be 9 years old and had no problems other than a cmos battery (fair enough after 9 years !) ..the Vaio is actually sitting next to me at work and is used on a daily basis
I have written a letter to Apple, asking if they think it is reasonable that I should pay £2,198 - then 16 months later, be nursing two machine that don't function properly, even after two warranty repairs, despite having looked after both machines as if they were babies
I have asked them to give me some kind of assurance that if I purchased a MBP , I would not be buying a box of faults waiting to occour
I look forward to their reply - and look forward too accepting a free MBP as compensation ;)

No , seriously - just an admission that these faults are not acceptable will suffice ................and perhaps a touch ! :)

gorilla
18th September 2007, 01:46 PM
I have to concur that laptops are generally sturdy devices. I've had a couple, my current machine is an emachines! Quality piece of kit (well not really) but it has been dropped of beds, chairs, tables and landed every time. The case is battered, as you'd expect, but apart from the edges being damaged, it is as good as it was 4 years ago. Ok, so most of those times it fell onto carpet, but it was still falling from 2-3 feet.

I've also dropped phones on roads, thrown them across the room and not had one break on me yet. I think the snap on covers on the nokia's help this.

Yet, my 4th gen 40gb ipod had the hard drive replaced after it was 'abused' by resting in its dock for 6 months. Now, I have no real gripe with Apple, but I think these things are to be expected from new technology and particularly from consumer goods which I don't generally think are built to last.

P.S. having just re-read the above, I'd just like to point out that I'm not clumsy and do generally take care of my things. I do not advocate trying any of the above out it either!

miffed
28th September 2007, 04:40 PM
Just got a reply from Apple
They are offering to pay for parts if I agree to pay labour - I think this is fair enough tbh, so will take them up on it
I suspect the labour cost of replacing the imac`s lcd will be a lot less than the price of the lcd anyway - so i will pop into serviceweb and see what they say. If it works out too expensive I wont bother , but at least Apple made a gesture to put things right, despite having no legal obligation to.

Ben
28th September 2007, 06:33 PM
I'm glad they've offered you something. Maybe Serviceweb will be nice and give you a good price too.

Hands0n
28th September 2007, 09:04 PM
Yes, that is rather encouraging news, and rightly so.