View Full Version : Uncrippling the Vodafone N95

Hands0n
18th September 2007, 10:26 PM
Much has been written about how Vodafone branding cripples the Nokia N95, turning it from that what Nokia intended it to be to some sub-species handset. I'm not entirely sure what else apart from the SIP client being disabled for WiFi functionality. This prevents you, the Customer, from using Truphone or any other SIP (VoIP) service. Quite what Vodafone think they are doing is beyond me. I think it is simply outrageous that they did this to the N95.

Some try and justify Vodafone's actions by suggesting that they subsidise the handset. Let me state right now that it will take a lot of convincing to make me believe that Vodafone (or any large corporation for that matter) is a charity. I want to see their certificate of registration at the UK Charities Commission first. But of course, Vodafone nor any of their fanboys can produce such a certificate so I will just have to go on believing that the big V is a large corporation. :)

Right, thats the politics out of the way. What is to be done when Vodafone will not provide a de-branding/un-cripppling service. The answer is amazingly simple - do it yourself. But I won't go into the exact details on here - suffice it to say that a moment on Google will give you all the links you could possibly want for the detail on this.

Tonight, it is the turn of my Vodafone N95 to go through the process to turn it back into a Nokia N95, rather than the monstrosity that was delivered to me.

After changing the product code with NSS I then subjected the N95 to Nokia Software Updater. The first surprise is that the Vodafone-issue firmware is version 11.0.026 - the Nokia EURO1 Plum firmware is 12.0.013 :cool: I'm assuming that this is a significant upgrade, although I cannot tell what the difference is between versions. For sure, there will be many bugfixes. As an aside, my T-Mobile N95 is exactly the same 11.0.026 firmware version - perhaps that is what is intended for the UK release?

Once committed to Nokia Software updater the rest of the procedure is entirely automatic. Some 113MB of firmware is downloaded from Nokia - be sure you're on a good quality Broadband connection if you're going to do this. Don't try it on dial-up Internet connections or you'll be taking a very long time out ;D

WARNING - When doing anything like this make sure that you read all of the prompts and instructions, and do exactly as they say. Do not interfere with the handset or the computer while the update is going on - even if it looks like it has stalled. Wait it out patiently. If you don't then you may well end up with a paperweight, and they're pretty much useless for making phone calls on. The process should take around 10 - 15 minutes to complete.

Following the update be prepared to do some setting up. This is bog standard Nokia, as if you'd bought it direct. But note that at this point you have only debranded the handste - it is not unlocked from the network operator, for that you'll have to pay Vodafone for the unlock codes.

Starting up the "new" N95 kicks off the Settings Wizard where it will automatically set up the Messaging and Internet aspects of the handset.

It is a nice feeling having a standard N95. Well done Nokia :)

Edit:
Post Update
I had a very sweaty 15 minutes! Prior to the firmware update I saved the N95 settings to the memory card like all good IT people do, right? We do all do this, yes? Well, I do. It just makes things that much easier to get your stuff back.

Following the update, I found that all my Contacts and other stuff had gone - anything that was in the handset's memory, which is to be expected. But when I restored the settings from the memory card disaster struck :eek:. The handset would not start, the screen colours were strange, nothing worked and a start-up message referred me to my retailer - Vodafone would have loved that! But there is a way out if you find yourself in this predicament. You will need to perform a hardware reset which is done as you power up the handset. You will need the manual dexterity of an octopus though as there is a very awkward set of keypresses. Do the following

The method of performing a hard-format, i.e resetting it completely to factory defaults and removing all data, is as follows:

1. Switch off the phone.
2. Hold down the following three buttons: Green (call answer) button, * button, and '3' button
3. While holding these buttons, press the power button and switch on the phone
4. When the message 'Formatting' appears on the screen, release all of the buttons

Note that you shouldn't switch the phone off or remove the battery when performing either of these operations, and it's advised that the handset has a reasonable amount of battery charge before performing a format/reset.

That little trick got me the handset back - I had to download and re-install the Settings Wizard from Nokia, ran it and got the handset back to working on Vodafone. Now the good bit :D

Truphone (http://www.truphone.com/)
Unless you have been living on Mars for the past few years you will most likely have heard of VoIP (Voice over IP) and/or SIP (Session Initiation Protocol (http://www.sipcenter.com/sip.nsf/html/What+Is+SIP+Introduction)). To you, the User, it really does not matter but basically both of these describe making phone calls over the Internet rather than the mobile network. It should be said that the mobile operators, at this time, generally hate VoIP/SIP and do as much as they dare to restrict its use. T-Mobile, for instance, used to block calls TO Truphone (http://www.truphone.com/), but they lost a High Court case and now charge for calls to Truphone (http://www.truphone.com/) numbers outside of your bundled minutes. So they have honoured the court case to the letter but are not subscribing to its intent. Perhaps Truphone will take them to the High Courts again. I digress.

Installing Truphone (http://www.truphone.com/) to the N95 is a snip. There are two ways, one is to send an SMS message to Truphone, they reply with a link and you download the applet to the handset via the GPRS network - costly if you don't have a data bundle. The alternative is to download the applet to your PC and use a Bluetooth or cable link to install the app to the handset. Nokia PC Suite's Application Installer makes this a breeze.

Setting up Truphone from the applet also generates you a Truphone account and phone number. If you forget the number you can obtain it from the applet itself in one of its menus.

Truphone make setting up the N95 very easy. They guide you through finding your WLAN - or any WLAN for that matter. This is then added to your handset's APN table. The software initially sets itself up to default for outgoing calls. I did not want this and it was easy enough to set the default to GSM network.

It is interesting to observe that call set-up via Truphone is almost instantaneous. No sooner had I pressed the call button than I was hearing ring-tone, and the phone I'd called was ringing. The quality of the ringtone is dreadful - but once the call goes through the voice quality is excellent, but with a noticeable delay. Perhaps this would not be noticed on a call that was not across the room :D

I can recommend trying out Truphone - especially as calls are free right now, some to European countries are included until 31st December 2007. Going forward, calls to other SIP numbers will be free for the forseeable future - it is unlikely that they'll charge for these. Even to other SIP providers. But I do think that they'll have to start charging for national calls to landlines and mobiles. They're going to have to make money somehow. For now, though, lap it up and enjoy being part of the calling revolution - while at the same time pi55ing off the mobile operators who are quietly building SIP into their own networks as they will have to compete or die ungracefully. They'll do this, even if for no other reason than they will massively increase their call-carrying capacity for relatively minimal layout. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, IP Voice is here to stay and will mean very many new players in the voice calls business and more downward pressure on voice tariffs elsewhere.

Do let us know on here how you get on if you partake of any of the above. It does not take a genius to achieve the piece of work I've described here. But do read up on the documentation before you give it all a go. And if anything goes wrong, don't panic! Try the hardware reset before anything else. It just may put right what you just did wrong.

miffed
19th September 2007, 07:47 AM
Well done mate !

The most important point when reflashing , is (unfortunately) not to try and restore from a memory card ! - but you found the solution , so all is good
Isn't there a free N95 / BB5 unlock available to all now ? I got an email in my inbox suggesting this from a reputabale source - but seeing as I sold my N95's I didn't even give it a second look !
I am no longer scared of the NSU (as I used to be :D )
I bricked my 6280 , then got hold of Pheonix , and brought it back to life - then , I practiced flashing my E61, N80 , 6630 , 9500 , it became quite fun after a while :D ... and certainly took away my fear of NSU bricking things

Hands0n
19th September 2007, 07:30 PM
I tried the free BB5 unlocker and utterly bricked a Nokia 6280. It has lost its security memory settings and will have to be re-built by Nokia. Its out of warranty so I keep it just as a fond memory and will probably chuck it come study clean out time.

Actually, maybe I'll set it up to get nicked by someone and video them doing it :D :D :D

whatleydude
19th September 2007, 09:50 PM
Hats off for writing it all down.. I've documented my experiences before with my N73 and now consider myself a seasoned pro at the old - 'change the code and reflash' routine...

As an FYI though - V12.01.13 is buggy.
It may have A-GPS (which is awesome) but the key press bug sucks balls.

You wanna get yourself V 12.01.14 - that's what I'm using...

;)

Hands0n
19th September 2007, 09:59 PM
NSU is not offering 12.01.14 for the product code that I'm using. I'm guessing that you have access to flashing kit that lets you be specific about what you want. Bah Humbug :D

whatleydude
19th September 2007, 10:20 PM
Change your product code to an APAC variant.

Then you'll get it...

Hands0n
19th September 2007, 10:48 PM
Well, thats tomorrow night taken care of :D Thanks for the tip. One has to wonder why Nokia are running so many different versions of the code!

Do you suggest which of these might do the trick?

#0534833: Apac 1
#0536085: Apac 1

Edit: Feck - I'm never going to sleep with this on my mind. NSU downloading the 12.0.014 firmware for the N95 now. I used the first code and hope the diffs between Sand and Plum are not at all significant!! :eek:

whatleydude
20th September 2007, 07:29 AM
They aren't that different at all.

BUT - if you're a power use (and text loads) then I'd suggest .14 over .13.
The keypress bug is SO annoying..

Google it - you'll get a list of bugs that .14 erases.

But yeah - you're the same as me - I R LATEST FIRMWAREZ!

;)

Hands0n
20th September 2007, 06:51 PM
I tell ya what - the screen font in .14 is a bit crazy - its like the old LCD stylee, no smoothing to it at all. Any ideas? Are there any Symbian Fonts around - not that I've ever tried ..... Or themes with better fonts than the standard ones in APAC1. I think I'd almost live with the keypress bug :D

whatleydude
20th September 2007, 10:45 PM
I know what you mean about the font.

The keypress bug really IS that bad though man - seriously.

However - I promise to report back as and when there's a new one available.
I've seen V23.something or other but that was on a dev N95... so if/when we'll ever see it I don't know!

Hands0n
20th September 2007, 10:49 PM
Cheers, it is fair doing my head in - but only 'cos I got the T-Mobile N95 in 11.0.26 and its flawless, as was 12.0.13. Very weird in a weird sort of way :D

I check out the liklihood of changing fonts - its too fraught with danger, it can be done but there's no plain simple managed way that I've seen yet. Just lots of fiddling around with font files. And get it wrong and the N95 turns into an instant paperweight! I'll not be doing that then :)

But then the most important thing, and the whole point of this exercise - see the attached screenshot of my Vodafone Nokia N95, APAC1 debranded and running Truphone just like its manufacturer intended.

Ben
20th September 2007, 11:13 PM
I see what you mean about the fonts. Very IE6 ;) Still, it works!

whatleydude
21st September 2007, 05:42 AM
...and running Truphone just like its manufacturer intended.

I know the guys over at Truphone - you're not on commission are you?

;)

Hands0n
21st September 2007, 06:55 AM
I know the guys over at Truphone - you're not on commission are you?

;)

Do you? And no, I'm not. :) I'm sold on the idea of SIP calling using a multimode handset. It is my handset, I don't see why I can't use it over the WLAN to make calls. What happens when the mobile operators bring in ubiquitous and affordable Internet? Will they then cripple the browser from using the WLAN to protect their "revenue"? It is a perfectly logical step and consequence of allowing them to get away with crippling the SIP client.

I really feel that OFCOM should be giving Vodafone a big slap on the wrist for that and force them to retrospectively remove the lockdown at their own cost through a full UK recall of their Nokia N95.

Hmmm, I feel a letter coming on :D

whatleydude
22nd September 2007, 06:11 PM
YOU think VF should get a slap on the wrist?!

You're not the only one. (http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/vodafonerant/)