View Full Version : Apple Product - What are you buying?

Hands0n
23rd September 2007, 06:35 PM
Thinking about the raft of new Apple product that has come about during 2007 it occurs to me that there is nothing that they have not touched this year. Every single hardware product of theirs has been updated in some way or another.

That got me to thinking about what others are intending to buy, if at all during the next six months. So, tell us here what it is that you are interested and seriously considering buying. I'm using the Voting feature of Talk3G, but you are able to vote for more than one product - I've also just headlined the products so if you're looking at a particular device feel free to name them in a comment below, and tell us why.

Hands0n
23rd September 2007, 06:55 PM
I voted for iPhone and iPod Touch + Waiting for the next round of enhancements.

My belief is that we can fully anticipate enhancements to both of these products in early 2008. This is classic Apple launch of new product. They've given us an insight as to what Apple can do, and what their intention is for the future.

In the iPhone all that is truly missing is 3G for the Global market (as opposed to the US domestic market). The iPhone is a very capable converged device with phone and PDA built into one rather astonishingly attractive package.

In the iPod Touch we have a rather confusing device. It has all of the hallmarks of the iPhone but with some curious exceptions. Apple have not supplied a built-in eMail client, as exists in the iPhone. They have also crippled the functionality of iCal and Address Book - in which you can read but not edit or create items. So the iPod Touch has some of the makings of a PDA, but with omissions and crippled apps that create a clear distinction from an average PDA.

One has to ask why Apple has done this with the iPod Touch - which Apple market strongly and insistently as an iPod. Do they have any intentions in subsequent software updates to uncripple the two apps and deliver an eMail client? Do Apple have it in the wings to launch an iPDA based upon the iPod Touch? It would take nothing more than some simple software to make this so - and what a gorgeous device it would be.

One thing for sure - early adopters of this latest round of Apple 'Touch product must expect to see their highly-priced objects of desire become rapidly obsoleted by later iterations of the product. iPhones and iPod Touch with greatly increased storage is the first that I would anticipate. Next the already legendary-by-its-absence 3G iPhone will arrive on the scene.

For sure, the year 2008 will be an exciting one for Apple's new touchscreen equipment. One could wait forever, and many of us early adopters are not very good at waiting. But my intention is to resist for as long as I can - at least until I see the next European offerings of the iPhone and iPod Touch.

Ben
23rd September 2007, 07:10 PM
I'm waiting for the next round. I've already got the MBP and MP, and have previous-gen iMac's and a Mac mini. I've got the current gen screens that, while still superb, are due an update.

I can't wait to play with the iTouch and the iPhone but I'm going to try and keep my money in my pocket until they do more of what I want and less of what I don't!

miffed
23rd September 2007, 07:26 PM
I voted touch - as that is the only one that is definate (ordered)

I would consider an iphone , an MBP & a new iMac though :)

Will have to wait and see what happens !

3g-g
24th September 2007, 10:35 AM
I'm buying one of everything! ;)

I'd like a touch, perhaps more-so than getting an iPhone, really cause I can't be bothered with all the unlocking nonsense that would go on with it... well, that may be the case till I get one in my hand, we'll see after that!

Ben
24th September 2007, 10:53 AM
Maybe you can pick up a French iPhone to use over here on Orange?

3g-g
25th September 2007, 12:11 AM
Well the choice is this:

Pick one up in the states in a couple of weeks time, paying about £250 for the device and getting it unlocked. Or, wait till November and see if I can get hold of a French version of it... I'm in two minds. I just don't know how easy it'll be to get hold of a French device without the contract side of things, at least in the US you activate the AT&T side of things on iTunes, I just don't envisage France Telecom or Orange allowing that... ach, who knows!

Ben
25th September 2007, 12:17 AM
Hmm, true, but then I can't see Apple allowing iPhone activation any other way.

3g-g
25th September 2007, 12:19 AM
Perhaps it'll be iPhone activation on iTunes, and the SIM will be done by Orange, or perhaps they'll have a whole bunch of SIMS ready for the handset specifically, your guess is as good as mine! I'm hoping by the time I get out to the States, Steve Jobs will of reduced it again ;)