View Full Version : Mobile broadband to dominate in 2011

Ben
12th October 2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/12/mobile_broadband_research/

Mobile broadband is expected to become the dominant broadband platform worldwide in 2011, according to a new report.

The research, which was carried out by Informa Telecoms & Media, indicates there will be more than one billion broadband subscribers worldwide in 2011, with the majority using mobile rather than fixed systems.

Increased adoption will also lead to bigger revenues, with Informa estimating that more than $400bn in service revenues will be generated by mobile broadband in 2012.

HSDPA (High-Speed Downlink Packet Access) is expected to be the leading mobile broadband technology by then in terms of number of subscribers, followed by EV-DO and mobile WiMAX.

continues...
I'm going to say that, IMHO, this is highly speculative and wishful thinking. However, for those of us who have used 'immature' HSDPA mobile broadband I think it's clear that there is massive potential. Technically the connections are currently unfriendly, but secure. The mobile networks will have to consider allocating publicly accessible IP addresses to their mobile broadband customers if they want to provide 'The Internet', as-is. Transfer rates and latency are both acceptable.

If only Intel had integrated HSDPA. Will they really go against the market and insist on only WiMAX? Hopefully laptop vendors themselves will make integration the rule rather than the exception, and HSDPA modem vendors will come up with even more ingenious designs than we have already.

gorilla
12th October 2007, 11:56 AM
and then the networks will be merely ISP's. I've been saying it all along.

They've been too slow IMO to realise the potential behind mobile data. Charge a fixed rate for data access and let the consumer do what they want i.e. voip. Forget about voice, sms and portals.

Fixed line operators have failed to grasp onto broadband (the lack of progression into ADSL2, limited downloads etc), their competitors are starting to gather.

Who will win? Well wi-max, 3.5g etc will be better placed than the the traditional operators. Makes you wonder why vodafone are starting to buy fixed line operators.

I'd put my house on this, one day there will not be any fixed lines.

Think about it. Why would anyone want to have to plug in a cable to get net access, when their mobile device (whatever form it takes, from cell phone to pda to laptop etc) can access high speed data on the move or in the kitchen. When mobile tariffs equal current landline tariffs, that is the day landlines RIP.