View Full Version : gphone anyone?

gorilla
12th October 2007, 03:15 PM
Well we've had google mail, google talk, google nearly everything else, but apparently google are set to launch the gphone worldwide in the next few weeks.

I'm not posting links because this is bound to be mere speculation, but a quick google ;) will provide you with some stories in the press.

I did a search (not a google!) on here and low and behold we haven't discussed it. Something came back about an 'iphone' whatever that is ;)

So, is this a winner or hype, or proper mobile software i.e. a google OS for phones, did google buy symbian last night over dinner?

Or are they actually going to buy spectrum, launch their own hardware running gos (google operating system - I made that up) and market it all by themselves, leaving the major networks out in the cold.

I'm getting some serious posting done today, it must be friday!

Hands0n
12th October 2007, 09:03 PM
I'm getting some serious posting done today, it must be friday!

Well, it is POETS day so you can't be blamed.

I was intrigued at the GPhone - and it does seem very topical for everyone to start making a handset. Microsoft have been in the phone OS business for ages and it hasn't done them any harm. Apple are now in the frame, but with the hardware too. So what exactly are Google up to? No one really seems to know for sure. Is it an OS only or a combination of OS and hardware? Questions, questions, and no answers. So maybe it is nothing at all, merely some marketing hype to guage public interest before committing one way or the other? It wouldn't be the first time - the first sight of the iPhone was just a casing, nothing else. But it was enough to set the world on fire.

If, as is speculated, the GPhone will be a vehicle for Google to push advertising at us then I predict that it will be an abject failure. I might be utterly wrong, but I really do not think that we, the buying public, want to have adverts pushed in our face everwhere we look.

It is an interesting proposition nonetheless.