View Full Version : Apple iPod Touch - Unlocked :)

Hands0n
13th October 2007, 04:02 PM
Blimey! I didn't even consider this as an option. Several of us earlier on bemoaned how the iPod Touch was almost-a-PDA for Apple. Maybe that day is dawning, despite Apple's own intentions.

Check out the iPod Touch Dev Wiki (http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Main_Page). If Apple won't do it, then the developer community probably will :cool:

Ben
14th October 2007, 01:00 PM
It's going to be a constant battle with Apple until Apple finally decide to release a product that isn't locked down, but that doesn't make the project any less interesting.

For those of us who have embraced OS X as it has matured since the release of Tiger the prospect of 'full' OS X on a handheld is irresistible. The current, locked down, 'Windows Mobile' approach actually has little meaning when the underlying OS is the same as the desktop counterpart. While security is an issue, the lack of viruses and malware for OS X make the full mobile OS a real prospect where running a full Windows OS on a mobile phone will probably always remain undesirable.

I think, as with Bootcamp, Apple are heading in the right direction anyway. Community efforts may expedite what's happening, though. I read a rumour article the other day suggesting that, when Intel's new mobile chips arrive in a couple of years time (designed to demolish ARM, which they used to own), the mobile version of OS X will switch from being compiled for ARM processors to being compiled for the x86 instruction set. Then Apple would open the door for third party development, rather than have all developers transition their applications - as had to happen when they moved from PowerPC to Intel on the desktop.

But hey, we'll see, and meanwhile there's exciting experimentation to be had.