View Full Version : 3's Skype phone to hit the pre-Christmas rush

Hands0n
15th October 2007, 11:27 PM
An interesting set of events .....

3's widely-trailed collaboration with Skype will be a new handset that will launch in the run-up to Christmas, sources say.

The operator already offers access to free Skype calling through an application for its X-Series phones. However, the new product will see much tighter integration with the eBay-owned VoIP software. The current implementation fudges slightly by using the voice channel to connect to the phone mast before the network converts the call to a true VoIP.

The X-Series launched at the tail end of 2006. It was the first mobile broadband package to offer fixed line-style pricing. It has failed to jumpstart mass market mobile internet in the way it was hoped to.

3 still hasn't officially confirmed the partnership, which has been the worst-kept secret in the mobile industry.

A spokesman said: "The move marks a radical step forward in operator thinking and will mobilise internet calls for a mass market. It will also close the gap between internet communications and mobile calling and is something you won't see from any other operator." ®

Article Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/15/skype_three_launch/

And a comment from the readers:

Isnt the idea when you're losing money....

Not to get into any situations where you loose more? Loosing more of their calls to VOIP, which they get a smaller payoff for, being included in their data packages, seems like a dumb idea.

Yes, quite!

3GScottishUser
16th October 2007, 09:45 AM
I read this article with interest and am bewildered at the logic behind this move by 3.

Sure it's an opportunity to offer cheap/free calls, so a nice headline offer.

BUT

As anyone who has used Skype knows it's far less reliable than traditional telephony. Calls can fail and have latency making them almost useless. Calls to Skype users are one thing but its Skype out calls to normal phones that could really make the service worthwhile but its hard to see how 3 UK could offer this without totally destroying their own income potential. Maybe the line rental is sufficient to cover all the costs regardless of use?

Bearing in mind 3's weaknesses, call reliability and customer service I doubt the Skype offering would generate anything other than another flood of users whos expeience will further tarnish what is a very damaged brand already in the UK.

We shall see.

Ben
16th October 2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not even sure anything to do with skype would generate a 'flood of users', but it's certainly an interesting addition to a product - something else to play with and, maybe, useful for that otherwise expensive call to somewhere-or-other.

I don't know. Depends on the handset I guess. If it's 'cool' folk will buy it whether they care about skype or not.

gorilla
18th October 2007, 11:29 AM
Being a 3 user, and a sometime skype user I can concur with the above.

Let's put it another way, 3 seem to be making a big effort to support skype (and voip in general). This has to be applauded. I've found that skype works pretty well on three, certainly well enough to make one use it over a paid alternative.

I don't think three loose money on this.

I would like to know how many contract customers actually spend more than their monthly line rental. I don't believe that figure to be high, certainly from personal experience it's only ever a couple of quid. The point being that the if the contract is honored then the network can predict a minimum income. And if three have people making calls over skype, they still receive line rental fees.

hecatae
19th October 2007, 06:28 PM
Limited to 3's own data network, never heard of skype working over hsdpa as currently the phone has to swap to 3g coverage to make the call to the phone mast to transfer to the voip network.

also limited to 10,000 minutes

solo12002
19th October 2007, 07:30 PM
" also limited to 10,000 minutes "

Why how long in a month do you spend on the phone? Im tempted to say get a life! Its long enought surely for normal day to day use

Ben
19th October 2007, 11:22 PM
I think it was more of a factual statement than a pouring of scorn, solo ;)

hecatae
20th October 2007, 01:23 AM
yeah completely factual, who would want to spend 10,000 minutes on the phone on a skype call?:confused:

Hands0n
20th October 2007, 08:47 AM
It almost does not make sense to impose any practical limit on Skype calls - and in defining 10,000 minutes per month 3 have effectively done that (6.944 24-hour days worth of calls).