View Full Version : Apple to roll out Mac OS X 10.5 next week

Hands0n
16th October 2007, 10:04 PM
Oh oh! I feel a trip to the Apple store @ Bluewater coming on :)

Apple has named the day it will release Leopard, the next major version of Mac OS X. It'll go sale in the UK on Friday, 26 October at 6pm.

Apple's pricing the product at £85 over here and $129 in the States - fractionally cheaper than the previous release, Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger, which retailed £89 in the UK.

Perhaps that generous discount is recognition for the longer than anticipated wait Mac fans have had to put up with since Apple switched many of its coders' focus away from Leopard and onto the iPhone version of the operating system.

When it arrives, Leopard will bring the usual array of graphical tweaks and extra features that have become a standard for major Mac OS X roll-outs.

Leopard's Dock, for example, now has a look that mirrors the one in the OS X-based iPod Touch, and Finder borrows a file browsing metaphor derives from iTunes' Cover Flow album art presentation system. The new Dock stacking view is essentially a new way of presenting the menu that current pops up when you click on an icon.

Alongside such graphical tweaks, we are looking forward to trying the new version of Mail with the addition of workgroup collaboration features not since Apple's PowerTalk from way back in the Mac OS 7 days. The Time Machine back-up system looks worthy of exploration - and with so much music, movies and content stored on Macs these days, comes not a moment too soon.

We're also keen to try Quick Look, a way to view file contents without opening applications and an extension of the preview features Mac OS X already offers. And Leopard will come with the final version of Boot Camp, Apple's Windows-on-Mac technology.

Apple has Leopard screenshots and details aplenty here (http://www.apple.com/macosx/).

Article Source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/16/apple_announces_leopard_day/

Ben
16th October 2007, 10:55 PM
So exciting. For those of us who have made the leap to the better way of computing the final arrival of Leopard really marks a big step in OS X's development.

We're also hopeful that Leopard will bring lots of new and exciting features and enhancements, while still being relatively lightweight and 'snappy'. Leopard will run on Mac's with G4 processors, so for those of us with Intel machines - we're in for a treat! Vista take note :)

I hope to update my personal machines soon after launch, but will of course be waiting a while before upgrading the business infrastructure, can't be too careful.

Hands0n
16th October 2007, 11:04 PM
My only concern is that I have Parallels with XP running and that the change to Leopard may well "break" that particular installation! As I have three Macs here I'll be buying the Family pack. Imagine that, a 5 system licence for less than the price of Vista basic poo :) Very nice.

Edit: I'm just downloading the ISO for Ubuntu 7.10 which has a flashy new UI

Compiz Fusion: This innovative compositing window manager enables 3-D desktop effects that let users work with, and see, their desktops in completely new ways.
Trying to find better ways of using my old PCs :D

Ben
16th October 2007, 11:09 PM
In theory your Parallels install will be fine - I've accessed Parallels HDD's stored on shared folders before and booted from them so as long as it all gets copied over to the new OS I can't imagine there being any problems. I don't know how the upgrade process works yet, but I'd imagine it's via 'Archive & Install' - I don't really know how that works either, but I'll be doing a comprehensive backup the first time around, to be sure!

chagle
16th October 2007, 11:23 PM
Just placed my order via apple online! More goodies to play with... :)

Hands0n
16th October 2007, 11:26 PM
I'll run it on my Mac Mini first - all that I have on there is my iTunes library - nothing else that is essential that could not be lost. If that works, then it will be the turn of the MBP and finally the Mac Pro (I couldn't bear to lose the big fella!).

This Compiz Fusion (http://compiz.org/Home/Screenshots) looks a bit of a giggle :) Must find a Vista substitute for my Wintel machines... Could be the way forward, even if it is Ubuntu under the hood (also available on other l*nux distros).