View Full Version : What happened to Motorola?

Ben
23rd October 2007, 06:55 PM
One has to ask!

They were at the forefront of 3G mobile phones, with a stack hitting market via Three. Yet the last post here about a Motorola was in March!

I know for a fact that some of you wonderful folks have had, and loved, 3G Moto's, so in your opinion, what went wrong?

I do wonder what Moto's UK market share is like now. They've released another new Razr recently, but that doesn't count for much other than showing how desperate they are by clinging on to a design paradigm that has since passed. Where as Nokia and Sony Ericsson create phones in all shapes and sizes, Motorola seem to have a portfolio of different sizes and shapes of Razr!

miffed
23rd October 2007, 07:54 PM
For me personally , Motorola spent just that bit too long in bed with three during 'the disaster years' to be taken seriously as a manufacturer now (as with NEC
Much as I enjoyed the A-series at the time , I probably wouldn't even consider an NEC or a Moto now - a brief play with a razr reinforced these thoughts for me a few months back

Hands0n
23rd October 2007, 08:06 PM
The E1000 was one of their best phones ever. But since then? Nothing. They seem to be stuck in a time warp with the RAZR. They need a big injection of ideas.

Moto? Past its sell by date at the moment.

hecatae
23rd October 2007, 08:33 PM
Z8, Z10, nothing from the american arm of the company that is 3G is any decent at present.

where is the 3g ROKR, the 3G E680, the 3G SLVR?

or is it the QUALCOMM chipset becoming to expensive and their old chipset stock is causing the battery issue.

I would use a 3G motorola, but there aint any.

Hands0n
24th October 2007, 12:11 AM
Probably copying Apple and going back to EDGE :eek:

:D :D

Ben
24th October 2007, 12:12 AM
Quite a depressing selection of comments there. Talk about a dropping the ball!

I never much cared for their interface. I remember how massively disappointed I was when I went to CPW to buy the original Razr. There I was, playing with a demonstrator, and it was overwhelmingly clear to me that this was a phone I could never, ever stand to use for any length of time. I certainly wasn't parting with any cash for it.

gorilla
25th October 2007, 10:21 AM
Well I had one of their flip phones back in 2001 ish and I loved its form factor. It was a pants phone though. I just remember the hoops you had to jump through to just to get to a specific menu. Awful UI. Never had another one. My mum 'used' it for years however and it still works today. I think it does calling very well, it's just when you ask it do something else e.g. text where it falls down. I must have been the only person who thought that the razr was unimpressive.