View Full Version : actual Vodafone upload data rates

Eurfyl
26th October 2007, 11:15 AM
I have recently been uploading data (video) from a mobile device and I find (with a network analyser) that the upload speed often far exceeds the expected theoretical upload speeds of approx 64kbps.

I often read that 64kbps is the theoretical max on the uplink but has this changed or is it possible to get more? Again, I test with websites that calculate download/upload and they also conclude that I get speeds higher than 64kbps............more like 128kbps typically - Is this possible??? Does anyone else experience this? May the case differ if uploading from a mobile device to another mobile within the same cell of the Orange network etc?

Anyone have an explanation?

Ben
26th October 2007, 03:21 PM
Depending on your hardware, on HSDPA you can get up to 384kbps upload I believe. Standard 3G? I'm not so sure.

Eurfyl
29th October 2007, 12:37 PM
Ok thanks..., I haven't got HSDPA/HSUPA so I'm only interested in 3G (UMTS) network with no additional technologies......

bsrjl1
29th October 2007, 04:42 PM
Depends on the operator configuration, but Uplink usually starts at either 64/128kbps & can go upto 384kbps depending on traffic. HSDPA is downlink only, HSUPA will increase uplink speeds considerably.

Eurfyl
29th October 2007, 05:22 PM
Yes thanks.......so does anyone therefore know what the upload data rates is configured for Vodfaone.....or Orange for that matter.

Ben
29th October 2007, 05:32 PM
If it's allocated depending on traffic as bsrjl1 suggests then it varies from 64kbps to 384kbps.

I get 384kbps when connected on Voda HSDPA, so I guess it's possible that Voda give all 3G users 384kbps now if HSDPA has nothing to do with it. Don't know about Orange, I'm afraid.

Eurfyl
29th October 2007, 06:15 PM
Ben - did you mean download and upload there? I wouldn't have thought 384kbps is possible on the uplink (upload).

Yes I know it's depending on traffic....but assuming that there is no traffic (as I am in a remote area) then what is the maximum?

Ben
29th October 2007, 06:48 PM
384kbps would be the maximum for the technology, going off what bsrjl1 is saying. That's not to say that every network offers that, mind you.

midlands_lad
30th October 2007, 05:40 PM
The initial speeds for HSDPA for Vodafone are:

1.8MBps Downlink and 384kbps uplink.

These are the maximum figures you could get using the HSDPA connecting on Vodafone. I'm not able to confirm the speeds on other networks, you could request this information from their technical support teams.

Midlands_lad
Vodafone UK