View Full Version : Nokia N95 & N95 8GB: Head to Head

Ben
26th October 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm fortunate enough to currently have in my possession both the Nokia N95 and its brand new nemesis the Nokia N95 8GB. I'm also in the unique situation of never having used or owned a Nokia N95 or N95 8GB before, and receiving both of them at the same time.

The Nokia N95 is courtesy of WOM World, so I'd like to start by thanking them for it. The N95 8GB is my own purchase, on contract from Vodafone.

Over the next two weeks I'm going to be carrying the Nokia N95 on Orange and the N95 8GB on, of course, Vodafone. I use both connections regularly and keep them on me at all times, so I hope to learn a lot about the differences between these handsets that are oh-so-similar in name - and share these differences with you.

I don't want to overly personalise or sensationalise my experiences, I'm just going to write them here as they hit me and let you, the person reading this, make up your own mind. What you're making your mind up about is none of my business, but could include, for example, whether to pay that bit extra for the N95 8GB, or whether it's worth upgrading from the N95.

As the N95 8GB is brand new, and the N95 is most certainly not, some unboxing photos will be available on a separate thread in this sub-forum.

Please feel free to add comments or questions to this thread as I post my observations, but don't go over the top - there'll be plenty of time for further discussion after my dual-N95 experience has ended.

All that's left to say is thanks for getting this far and I hope you enjoy the phlog (see what I did there?).

Contents of this review:
First Impressions (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24117&postcount=2)
Early Days (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24149&postcount=3)
On the subject of RAM (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24166&postcount=8)
Another day, another difference? (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24210&postcount=16)
Browsing the web on the N95 8GB (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24233&postcount=20)
Browser shortcomings & bugs (N95 8GB) (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24237&postcount=24)
More observations (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24387&postcount=29)
Final thoughts on the Nokia N95 and N95 8GB (https://talk3g.co.uk/showpost.php?p=24560&postcount=30)

Ben
27th October 2007, 12:09 AM
Lets not fit a square peg in a round hole, here. It's time to be brutally honest.

The N95 I am fortunate enough to have has seen better days. Immediately I notice that pushing down on the front of the phone, with the keypad open or closed, creates a 'click'. This is a known fault I know, so I wont dwell on it too much, but it's going to annoy the hell out of me over the next couple of weeks. There's also light bleed out of the sides of the slider.

The Nokia N95 8GB is, obviously, brand new. However, it has neither of these issues and it doesn't seem possible that it could produce them due to the revised slider design. Talking of which, the wider slider, which accommodates the bigger screen, does make the phone seem very much wider. It's not, of course, but it looks and feels that way.

Buttons have always been important to me on mobile phones so it's important for me to mention here the ones on my previous mobile - the Nokia N73. The buttons on this handset are a bit like a see-saw, rocking up and down on either side of the bearing. They're also far too small.

By comparison, both the N95 and the N95 8GB have large and stable buttons. That's a relief. However, my thumbs wont be getting much relief - the buttons on both handsets are relatively stiff. There's plenty of travel, but you have to push quite hard before you get it along with the reassuring click. There are some differences between the handsets, though. Where the N95 has slightly differing sounds and feels from the numeric keypad keys and a loose movement of the front key cluster, the N95 8GB has extremely even numeric keypad keys and a very secure front key cluster. I can put the numeric keys down to age for the time being, but there's no doubt that the front key cluster is better constructed on the N95 8GB.

Going back to that front cluster for a moment, I'd like to touch on the difference in size. The N95 has a positively capacious front key cluster, yet somehow the big keys aren't as independent as one would hope they would be. I found myself making a couple of incorrect key presses to start with, partly because the menu and media keys are very flat. By comparison, the compact cluster on the N95 8GB (which is still larger than that of the N73, by the way, before you start thinking it's tiny) has carefully bevelled keys that are actually far easier to find and press. To be honest, I think both phones could have better buttons on the front, and I think the N73 has nicer soft keys than the both of them, but out of the two it's the 8GB that has the tactile superiority.

The slide. Ah, the slide. Well, lets talk about the N95 first. You push upwards. It resists at first, but then, with a sudden release, the front section slides upwards and locks into place with a very reassuring click. The slide itself is incredibly smooth. Going back down, a quick press on the top of the front section sends it sailing back into its original position, locking again with a reassuring click. The action to reveal the media keys is very similar.

The N95 8GB is really disappointing here. Pushing upwards, the front section almost grinds into position. There's friction, resistance, all the way, not just at the start. When in position the sound generated is more of a soft thud, certainly not a clean click. Unfortunately going back down is even worse. A quick press on the top of the front section sends it sailing down past its original point, exposing a slither of the media keys. I am having to get used to being more careful than with the N95, guiding the front section back into position. The situation is a little better when pushing down to access the media keys.

Two more important first impressions to cover. There are two omissions from the N95 8GB compared to the N95. The first is the memory card slot. If you need a handset with removable memory then the N95 8GB is not for you - the 8GB is built-in. The N95 does take Micro SD, though the slot and slot door construction is horrible and fiddly. I haven't managed to remove the card yet without sending it flying across the room! The other omission is the lens cover. There is an exterior cover on the N95, where as the N95 8GB only has an automatic interior one - leaving the exterior plastic vulnerable to scratches. However, the mechanism on the N95 is pretty horrible (read 'tacky feeling'), and judging by the muck and dust inside my test handset the cover hasn't done a great deal of good! At least the 8GB version camera is easier to keep clean.

Finally, I want to talk about the overall look and feel. Hopefully many of you will agree that the N95 8GB looks better in a side-by-side comparison. That extra screen size and gloss-black front casing just have an 'of the moment' look. I should also mention that the N95 8GB screen sits much more flush with the front of the handset than on the N95, and that because of this the test N95 has lots of, lets call it 'mank', built up in the hard-to-clean crevices. The behinds of both handsets look pretty good, and I certainly wouldn't like to have to decide which phone looks better from the back. There's something to be said for the two-tone nature of the original N95.

To conclude, the N95 8GB does make some significant improvements to the N95 design. However, where the slider mechanism has been improved in its integration with the rest of the phone it has dramatically failed to feel and operate better. Nokia have run too quickly and too far from the original N95 slider, and I can imagine that those with later N95's that don't make the annoying click when the front is pushed would be reluctant to lose lose it. This alone doesn't spoil the N95 8GB, though. Holding both handsets in my hands, the 8GB just oozes so much more class, and feels like much more of a computer where the N95's recessed screen, like the N80, makes it look like a toy by comparison. It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Ben
28th October 2007, 06:26 PM
It's quickly becoming clear to me that the N95 and N95 8GB are excellent phones, both being very capable and packed with a list of amazing features as long as your arm. Glacial operating speed was my biggest gripe with the N73. Neither of these newer Nokia's can be described as slow by any standards, for a smartphone or a regular mobile phone. Bravo Nokia, better late than never.

There are still differences in speed between the handsets, though. A notable difference is with the camera, where the camera on the N95 8GB both loads up and takes and stores pictures faster than the N95. This is almost always true, though I did take a picture with the N95 8GB last night that looked like it had taken (ie the flash went) but actually 'took' several seconds later resulting in a nice picture of a table.

The N95 8GB is also marginally faster at opening text messages, while contacts opens marginally quicker on the N95.

The N95 has the slightly annoying tendency to blank the screen in between interface changes, where the N95 8GB will change straight from one screen to the next. This is particularly noticeable when opening text messages from the inbox.

A slight weirdness between the two handsets - on the N95 the screen and front button cluster backlights fade in and out together. The keypad backlight, however, switches on and off in a binary fashion. On the N95 8GB, the screen and keypad backlights fades in and out, where the front button cluster appears to switch on and off. I have no idea why they're different!

The volume from both handsets speakers is rather impressive, with music pumping out of each far louder than I've ever heard on a handset. Sound quality isn't all that, particularly at full volume, but that's to be expected. It's still acceptable, and probably comparable to most laptop speakers. I've not tried headphones at this stage.

GPS (Maps) has some significant differences:
N95 has v3.0 wk23 b01
N95 8GB has v1.2 wk37 b05

Why the N95 8GB version number is lower than the N95 one I have no idea, but it's smoother when zooming (less pauses, the N95 paused quite a lot and it was actually quite frustrating to move about). It's also prettier, and has slightly different menus making it generally more refined. Neither is particularly eager to find enough satellites and I even had problems in the car (under the windscreen). In the open air things are better, and, for navigation on foot, I think it's a very useful feature to have.

The connectivity options are fantastic. Having WiFi is just such a great addition, while HSDPA (displayed as 3.5G) really takes the shackles off of mobile data. As far as syncing with the Mac (over Bluetooth) goes, Nokia have a patch for iSync and the N95 but not yet the N95 8GB which comes up unrecognised. This site (http://web.mac.com/the_reamer/S60/isync.html) has a free third party patch that works just fine, but irritatingly you have to email the owner with the phone model before he'll send you a password that lets you install the patch. I appreciate that he wants donations for his work, but IMHO he's taking the piss. Hopefully Nokia will put out an official patch soon.

Battery level is actually the same on both handsets as I write this. I haven't charged the N95 since I received it, but I have been using the N95 8GB more over the weekend. Assuming the N95 from WOM World was fully charged then both handsets being down to half capacity sounds about right.

Finally, I can't describe how much nicer the screen is on the N95 8GB. For starters, it's nice to have seven active standby icons rather than 6. Brightness on the N95 8GB is really good, and the extra size really makes looking at pictures and videos a pleasure - including Spiderman 3 which comes preinstalled on the N95 8GB. That flush-to-the-front look really is a winner, as it was on the N73, whereas the N95's sunken N80-style screen actually makes it look even smaller than it is.

I'll end with the software versions of each device, unchanged from how they arrived:
N95 v12.0.013
N95 8GB v10.0.021

The Mullet of G
28th October 2007, 08:24 PM
The N95 8GB isn't really aimed at current N95 owners unless your contract expires soon and your in the market for a new phone, as its not enough of an upgrade and more so a diagonal step. Nokia are masters of expanding upon an already great platform to broaden its appeal and shift more units, I'd say from this point of view the N95 8GB is an excellent move by Nokia, theres no doubting that its a better all round phone than the original N95 give or take your preference for removable storage, and they will most certainly sell by the shed load. As to which one you should buy? Its all down to personal preference really, its a choice between two of the best phones available right now so either way you'll end up with a great phone. :)

Hands0n
28th October 2007, 08:43 PM
Welcome to Talk3G Mullett of G (thats gonna end up MoG for short :D)

I think that Nokia have been sensible with the N95 8GB by making the new handset nothing much more than an incremental step from the earlier N95. What I fail to understand is why Nokia choose to put so little RAM in their S60 handsets. It significantly hampers the N95 and it somewhat better on the N95 8GB. But with the cost of RAM these days they really should be sticking in a minimum of 256MB, and more likely 512MB would give Symbian all the elbow room that it very obviously needs.

With their low memories these are hamstrung general purpose computers.

The Mullet of G
28th October 2007, 09:06 PM
Hi there and thank you. :D

Nokia are basically casting there net a little wider with the N95 8GB and trying to catch the people it missed with the N95. Nokia have always been pretty tight when it comes to RAM, but that said Symbian isn't exactly a resource heavy OS. 256MB of RAM on an S60 device would be sweet but its bordering on overkill and 512MB would be pretty much wasted, its not so much about the cost of RAM and more so how much RAM the OS can effectively use, put simply after 128MB of RAM any performance gains would be negligible to non existent. :)

Hands0n
28th October 2007, 10:01 PM
The problem with RAM sizes in S60 handsets seems to be as much to do with how much NAND memory you install in the form of SD cards. As I read it Symbian S60 caches directory information in the handset's RAM and the larger the SD card the more memory gets eaten up. Some of this can be mitigated by formatting the SD with FAT16 but all the same, chuck in an 8GB or larger SD card and you could find there is not too much RAM left for apps to run in.

Personally I don't see much wrong with overkilling the RAM install seeing as RAM is so very cheap these days (£12 for 2GB PC memory I've seen). And in the quantities that Nokia would buy it in they could chuck in 512MB and not have to add that much to the cost of the handset. Or maybe give us a SODIMM slot that we could populate ourselves!

The N95 is already legend for how many apps it won't run without crashing - so I honestly do feel that Nokia could do itself no harm by giving RAM a serious upping in the next iteration of the N95. Hope springs eternal and all that :D

Edit:
A good discussion about RAM is on the Nokia forum here (http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=43089)

And some good reading here (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Avoiding_Memory_errors_on_a_Symbian_OS_smartphone. php) too

Ben
28th October 2007, 10:32 PM
I did a little test to see just how much more usable the N95 8GB is after its RAM increase.

First I started opening applications on the N95. I started with the music player, firing up the Moby - In My Heart song, and then started opening things such as contacts, the web browser, quick office etc. I got to 4 on the N95, excluding Music Player and Standby, before the Out Of Memory errors kicked in. The music kept playing.

Next was the N95 8GB. I did the same thing, opening the same applications, and got as far as 9 before I gave up. I did get a skip in the music, very briefly, when I opened something like the camera (I forget...), but that was the extent of the fuss.

All I can really conclude from this is that the extra RAM is useful if you're really going to use your N95 (8GB) like a computer. Though, with that extra screen real estate, anyone who gets the 8GB variant is almost certainly going to want to do that at some point.

Hands0n
28th October 2007, 10:59 PM
I grabbed myself a copy of Handy Taskman and loaded it up - its on a 14-day trial now. But I got some really odd results. The MB figures are all available memory after doing something....

Before I started any of this I had 15.5MB RAM after shutting down all the apps that were loaded.

No SD Card - 18.8MB RAM
6GB SD Card - 19.2GB RAM

Start Browser (T-Mob homepage) - 12.4MB
Start Sky Anytime applet - 12.1MB
Browse to Talk3G homepage - 10.0MB
Close N95 Browser - 17.3MB
Close Sky Anytime applet - 20.7MB

How come I get more memory after I use some apps? What on earth is S60 up to? :D

Playing around with the usual apps such as Messaging I have seen that memory is not always reclaimed when exiting the app. For example, opening and using Messaging for a while results in there being only 19.8MB left when exiting it (previously was 20.7MB). At such a rate the [suspect] memory leak will render the handset unusable in days!

These are not conclusive results, just observations.

gorilla
29th October 2007, 02:15 PM
I have to say I like the N95 8Gb. It looks the business. However, I'm glad that it's not significantly better than the N95, given that I've only just got the N95!

whatleydude
29th October 2007, 02:36 PM
@Gorilla - having had an extensive play with one myself I can't justify moving up from my N95.

gorilla
29th October 2007, 03:41 PM
Cheers man. I have to say that I'm starting to get E65 withdrawal symptoms. I love the speakers on the N95 as I listen to a few podcasts that way and that beats the E65 hands down, but that aside I'm missing the e65. Maybe all that marketing nokia has been putting the e65 way lately is paying off? Have you seen all the newspaper ads? "emailing has never looked so good".

Anyway...
How durable do you think the 8gb is? Is the screen going to scratched or anything like that?

whatleydude
29th October 2007, 06:17 PM
I'm a big fan of the E65 tbh. I've never owned one but tested a couple quite extensively when I was at Refresh Mobile. Sturdy handset indeed.

RE 8GB N95.. The screen is quite nice, although I don't know if it's as nigh-on bullet proof as the iphone screen.

The Mullet of G
29th October 2007, 07:48 PM
The problem with RAM sizes in S60 handsets seems to be as much to do with how much NAND memory you install in the form of SD cards. As I read it Symbian S60 caches directory information in the handset's RAM and the larger the SD card the more memory gets eaten up. Some of this can be mitigated by formatting the SD with FAT16 but all the same, chuck in an 8GB or larger SD card and you could find there is not too much RAM left for apps to run in.

Personally I don't see much wrong with overkilling the RAM install seeing as RAM is so very cheap these days (£12 for 2GB PC memory I've seen). And in the quantities that Nokia would buy it in they could chuck in 512MB and not have to add that much to the cost of the handset. Or maybe give us a SODIMM slot that we could populate ourselves!

The N95 is already legend for how many apps it won't run without crashing - so I honestly do feel that Nokia could do itself no harm by giving RAM a serious upping in the next iteration of the N95. Hope springs eternal and all that :D

Edit:
A good discussion about RAM is on the Nokia forum here (http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board/message?board.id=smartphones&message.id=43089)

And some good reading here (http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Avoiding_Memory_errors_on_a_Symbian_OS_smartphone. php) too

I grabbed myself a copy of Handy Taskman and loaded it up - its on a 14-day trial now. But I got some really odd results. The MB figures are all available memory after doing something....

Before I started any of this I had 15.5MB RAM after shutting down all the apps that were loaded.

No SD Card - 18.8MB RAM
6GB SD Card - 19.2GB RAM

Start Browser (T-Mob homepage) - 12.4MB
Start Sky Anytime applet - 12.1MB
Browse to Talk3G homepage - 10.0MB
Close N95 Browser - 17.3MB
Close Sky Anytime applet - 20.7MB

How come I get more memory after I use some apps? What on earth is S60 up to? :D

Playing around with the usual apps such as Messaging I have seen that memory is not always reclaimed when exiting the app. For example, opening and using Messaging for a while results in there being only 19.8MB left when exiting it (previously was 20.7MB). At such a rate the [suspect] memory leak will render the handset unusable in days!

These are not conclusive results, just observations.

As you noted in your later observations with Handy Taskman the memory cards size or presence doesn't impact the RAM significantly, I have a 6GB card and a 2GB and they don't differ in RAM usage, I don't think the OS quite operates the way you are reading it, although it may well cache file directory information to the system RAM, the amount of information its caching is probably fairly small and will likely be restricted in the size it can occupy.

Also I'd like to see you squeeze 512MB of PC based RAM into a smartphone :D smaller form factor RAM costs more money, and its hard to justify putting 512MB into a device that simply wont ever use anywhere rear as much as that. Also I'd make sure that £12 RAM isn't low grade high density stuff. ;)

Having personally installed hundreds of apps and games on my N95 with some of the games being over 50MB, I have yet to come across any that wouldn't run properly due to memory issues, before the N95 8GB was released the original N95 had more RAM than pretty much any other S60 based device, so its illogical to think that any app or game designed to run on a pre N95 S60 platform with less RAM would fail to run on an N95. :)

Alas the 128MB of RAM the N95 8GB has is more than enough given the hardware and software its going to be running with, we're unlikely to get anymore RAM for a while unless the touch screen S60 handsets due next year have more, although knowing Nokia they'll shaft us with a low RAM version first then release a proper version 6 months later. :D

Hands0n
30th October 2007, 12:08 AM
The thing is - when using the browser it does not take too many link-clicks to soon run out of memory! :(

Ben
30th October 2007, 12:15 AM
As time goes by it continues to become more and more obvious that the N95 and N95 8GB are both fantastic handsets. It also becomes clear that it's the smaller differences between the two that will ultimately make one or the other easier to live with on a day to day basis.

Lets start with a little niggle that I noticed last night. Nokia have always been absolutely awful at power buttons. Yes, I know during the last few years they have certainly improved, and I know that most consumers don't walk into their local phone store and demand the latest in power button technology, but I do like to be able to switch a phone on and off, and switch profiles, with minimal fuss.

So, it disappointed me a little that the N95 8GB has a worse power button than that on the N95. Not only is it slightly sunk into the casing, rather than flush as on the N95, but it can actually get wedged in under the casing a little. It's pretty hard to push and doesn't give a very good tactile response.

However, the power button really is the only place where the N95's buttons outclass those on the N95 8GB. That front cluster on the N95 - urgh! I'm not sure how folk live with it. The buttons are loose and so flat that, despite their large size, I find myself making bum key presses. The 8GB's are so wonderfully bevelled and have such great feedback that I can safely say the power button issue is relatively insignificant.

From buttons to more general build quality now. Where the N95 8GB feels chunky, solid and robust, the N95 feels much more fragile and, how do I say this... nobly! Increasing the width of the front slider to match the body of the phone has made the whole thing feel more unified and complete, where the original N95 feels like a small screen with one biiiig backside!

The biggest issue I have encountered is present on both handsets, though. It's those damn music controls. I just can't stand the dual-way slide. Yes, it's always good to think outside the box and find new ways to add in additional physical buttons that make a converged device easier to use, but this just isn't the answer. Both N95's would have benefited from having a much better slider mechanism at the expense of the music controls, and hopefully we wont see them again on future sliders. FWIW, and for anyone who uses the music controls, they're easier to press on the 8GB as they're not so flat.

Before I stop moaning for the day (more positives to come soon I promise) I want to talk about removable storage. I'm going to make a gross assumption and say that I use memory cards in mobile phones in much the same way as everyone else. I buy one, I put it in, and there it stays, almost never coming out again. Pictures come off by USB or Bluetooth, as does music and video in both directions, and applications go on via the phone. With 8GB of internal storage, does removable storage bring any further advantages? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I'll end on a happier note. As my Inbox starts to fill up with text and picture messages, I can't help but notice how fast and responsive both handsets are. It's so refreshing to be using S60 with the OS actually helping me get to my information rather than just getting in the way!

Hands0n
30th October 2007, 12:31 AM
Re Removable Storage.

My own personal taste is for storage to be removable. Why? Because until not so long ago 4GB was the max, then 6GB and now 8GB - and prices tumble soon after the intial surge. It is fair to assume, then, that within the lifetime of the N95 8GB that 16GB or higher SD memory will become available. I like the abiity to choose whether or not to upgrade the memory. I do not like having that option, formerly provided, being taken away from me in the next generation handset.

Before anyone compares the N95 8GB in respect of the Apple iPods and soon-to-be iPhone - my response would be that these started life with fixed memory. I'd go further to suggest that they'd benefit from being able to be upgraded.

My tuppenceworth - when tuppence was actually worth something :D

The Mullet of G
30th October 2007, 11:45 PM
The thing is - when using the browser it does not take too many link-clicks to soon run out of memory! :(

The built in browser can be a bit of memory hog at times, I use Opera instead I find it performs better, although it has some cookie issues from time to time that require the inbuilt browser to be used briefly. :)

Re Removable Storage.

My own personal taste is for storage to be removable. Why? Because until not so long ago 4GB was the max, then 6GB and now 8GB - and prices tumble soon after the intial surge. It is fair to assume, then, that within the lifetime of the N95 8GB that 16GB or higher SD memory will become available. I like the abiity to choose whether or not to upgrade the memory. I do not like having that option, formerly provided, being taken away from me in the next generation handset.

Before anyone compares the N95 8GB in respect of the Apple iPods and soon-to-be iPhone - my response would be that these started life with fixed memory. I'd go further to suggest that they'd benefit from being able to be upgraded.

My tuppenceworth - when tuppence was actually worth something :D

Word out to that my good man, I prefer having the ability to upgrade my memory as the technology becomes available. Also I use my card to carry files to friends houses, with the use of a USB card reader I can access the files without installing drivers etc. :D

The Mullet of G
30th October 2007, 11:50 PM
As time goes by it continues to become more and more obvious that the N95 and N95 8GB are both fantastic handsets. It also becomes clear that it's the smaller differences between the two that will ultimately make one or the other easier to live with on a day to day basis.

Lets start with a little niggle that I noticed last night. Nokia have always been absolutely awful at power buttons. Yes, I know during the last few years they have certainly improved, and I know that most consumers don't walk into their local phone store and demand the latest in power button technology, but I do like to be able to switch a phone on and off, and switch profiles, with minimal fuss.

So, it disappointed me a little that the N95 8GB has a worse power button than that on the N95. Not only is it slightly sunk into the casing, rather than flush as on the N95, but it can actually get wedged in under the casing a little. It's pretty hard to push and doesn't give a very good tactile response.

However, the power button really is the only place where the N95's buttons outclass those on the N95 8GB. That front cluster on the N95 - urgh! I'm not sure how folk live with it. The buttons are loose and so flat that, despite their large size, I find myself making bum key presses. The 8GB's are so wonderfully bevelled and have such great feedback that I can safely say the power button issue is relatively insignificant.

From buttons to more general build quality now. Where the N95 8GB feels chunky, solid and robust, the N95 feels much more fragile and, how do I say this... nobly! Increasing the width of the front slider to match the body of the phone has made the whole thing feel more unified and complete, where the original N95 feels like a small screen with one biiiig backside!

The biggest issue I have encountered is present on both handsets, though. It's those damn music controls. I just can't stand the dual-way slide. Yes, it's always good to think outside the box and find new ways to add in additional physical buttons that make a converged device easier to use, but this just isn't the answer. Both N95's would have benefited from having a much better slider mechanism at the expense of the music controls, and hopefully we wont see them again on future sliders. FWIW, and for anyone who uses the music controls, they're easier to press on the 8GB as they're not so flat.

Before I stop moaning for the day (more positives to come soon I promise) I want to talk about removable storage. I'm going to make a gross assumption and say that I use memory cards in mobile phones in much the same way as everyone else. I buy one, I put it in, and there it stays, almost never coming out again. Pictures come off by USB or Bluetooth, as does music and video in both directions, and applications go on via the phone. With 8GB of internal storage, does removable storage bring any further advantages? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I'll end on a happier note. As my Inbox starts to fill up with text and picture messages, I can't help but notice how fast and responsive both handsets are. It's so refreshing to be using S60 with the OS actually helping me get to my information rather than just getting in the way!

I rarely use the USB cable that came with my phone, I use wifi or card reader for movies and music, and for the odd picture I use bluetooth, apps and games depending on size or number of files I use bluetooth or card reader. :)

Ben
31st October 2007, 12:36 AM
Well, I'm currently on the handset, and here's what I think.

There's no doubt that a big screen is required for web browsing, and that's where the iPhone is a winner. However, the S60 browser is really coming of age.

I can use my web based email, log in to web based service accounts and even use forums. Granted, if I were to click bold again now like I did a minute ago I'd lose my post. So, capability is catching up to the PC while usability lags behind.

While script seems to work quite well, Flash unfortunately doesn't. I can't help but think it should in the browser in this day and age, but there you go!

I'm loving that frames are properly supported though. It's nice to be able to see a whole site without having to faff around picking which one I want to work in and see.

All this text entry is killing my thumbs, so I guess that's one big reason to go either full keyboard or touch screen. The browser is useful and functional, but unfortunately the N95 8GB isn't going to replace your PC any time soon.

Hands0n
31st October 2007, 12:48 AM
All this text entry is killing my thumbs, so I guess that's one big reason to go either full keyboard or touch screen. The browser is useful and functional, but unfortunately the N95 8GB isn't going to replace your PC any time soon.

Geezer! Get yerself Bluetooth keyboard me ole chum :D http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/How_to_Use_a_Bluetooth_keyboard_with_your_smartpho ne.php

I used to use a fold-up keyboard for a Palm PDA and it worked a treat. At meetings if I was taking the minutes or notes (why does the Chair always have to do that!!!?) it was always with some amusement to others that i whipped out the keyboard and propped the Palm PDA into it. I soon wiped the smile off their faces while they still struggled getting their Windows laptops up and running before I got the meeting underway (it was with sadistic pleasure that I'd kick off imediately my PDA/Keyboard was ready.

I don't have the need at the moment - but if ever again, then I would seriously consider the N95 with Nokia Bluetooth Keyboard (http://www.mphone.co.uk/acatalog/nokia_su_8w.html) as per the link! But they are not exactly cheap.

Ben
31st October 2007, 01:37 AM
Carrying around a separate keyboard is so 2005! (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=760)

Hands0n
31st October 2007, 07:15 AM
ROTFL :D I had not even remembered that. Gosh! Was it really that long ago?

But that does seem to be the way to go for anything more than SMS usage. I've tried my N95 on Talk3G and other resources and, like you, found it tedious to use the keypad. Perhaps an effective speech recognition is required (i.e. Dragon Naturally Speaking but for S60)

Ben
31st October 2007, 10:15 AM
Well, it was hard to talk about bugs while actually using the handset because often they involved wasting huge amounts of time. These issues probably affect the N95 too.

The vBulletin one I found particularly annoying. As a form field has to be 'selected' to be typed in, it's effectively deselected when doing anything else. So, if you click one of the smileys or formatting tools on a vBulletin post window, while they do work, the contents of the post is lost and replaced just with the formatting. As Peter Andre would say, that's insania.

Going back also isn't always perfect... I was in my web mail and hit back only to end up on BBC News, where I'd been many pages before. Quite what went wrong there I don't know, but there was a sizeable gap in my browsing history.

The thing also caches like an absolute biatch! I could delete mails in my webmail, but they'd still be there when the page reloaded. Of course they weren't really there, but how can a browser still show old information even after a form submission that has sent it new data for the page?! If Nokia were trying to prevent excess data usage then the game's up - whenever I went 'back' the handset appeared to fetch the cached page all over again. Not really sure what was happening there, tbh.

While using the Nokia Wireless Keyboard (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=760) I was slightly annoyed that Tab doesn't jump between form elements as it would in any other browser. Nono. It just inserts a tab into the current form field! Annoying. Hitting Return also doesn't submit a form, you have to press the 'dot'. Fn was as annoying as I remembered, the split space bar even more so. Another thing that will irritate is that when the backlight goes off you can start typing but it wont come back on for up to a couple of seconds - during which time you're staring at a black screen. Still, writing on it was an improvement over thumbing in data on the keypad.

GMail/Google Mail displays the mobile version, which works fine, and 'remembering' login details (ie on gmail, talk3g) also seems to work.

Sometimes when scanning around large pages (the window-in-window appears so you can see where you are on the page) old content is displayed from the previous page/previous time window-in-window appeared. It sorts itself out as you scroll, but it doesn't exactly look good.

So, this is all what I meant when I said this "isn't going to replace your PC any time soon". Maybe Opera is better? Maybe a mobile Firefox for S60 would make browsing really useful? As it is, while the browser has improved leaps and bounds since days of old, you'd still have to be pretty desperate to use it a lot. Compare that with Safari on an iPod Touch or iPhone and you realise that despite having HSDPA and a 5mpx camera it's the Nokia N95 that's behind on the times. Software is king.

The Mullet of G
1st November 2007, 01:26 AM
Yup Opera is definitely better, I've never liked the built in browser on any S60 handset I've always found them to be poor at best. The wireless keyboard thing is a good point as the N95 isn't really designed for entering large amounts of text input, but that said I doubt the iPhone fares any better here, I managed to connect my diNovo Edge via bluetooth without any problems but obviously carrying a PC keyboard around isn't all that practical.

On another note for email Profimail is a pretty good solution, it doesn't support Windows Live Mail but theres already a live app that does, I find both are better than checking your email via the web browser. :)

Hands0n
1st November 2007, 08:10 AM
...... but obviously carrying a PC keyboard around isn't all that practical.....

Oh you might be surprised :) I was sceptical at first with my PDA and Keyboard combination. But these keyboards are tiny and fold up double. The pair would fit into my suit pockets without causing embarassment :d and was so much superior to lugging the laptop around.

One particular large project I was on concerned the construction of a new 35-floor building. I had a distinct advantage over the laptop users at site meetings because of the sheer pocketability. There was much less to carry around the construction site, less dangerous even. If I could have [then] combined the use into a handset like the N95 I'd have been as happy as the proverbial.

For sure, these keyboards are not for everyone. But in the right circumstances, and if the N95 is going to be used as a PC substitute, a keyboard becomes more essential.

The Mullet of G
1st November 2007, 09:16 PM
Oh you might be surprised :) I was sceptical at first with my PDA and Keyboard combination. But these keyboards are tiny and fold up double. The pair would fit into my suit pockets without causing embarassment :d and was so much superior to lugging the laptop around.

One particular large project I was on concerned the construction of a new 35-floor building. I had a distinct advantage over the laptop users at site meetings because of the sheer pocketability. There was much less to carry around the construction site, less dangerous even. If I could have [then] combined the use into a handset like the N95 I'd have been as happy as the proverbial.

For sure, these keyboards are not for everyone. But in the right circumstances, and if the N95 is going to be used as a PC substitute, a keyboard becomes more essential.

I probably could get away with carying the diNovo around as it is pretty slim and compact as far as PC keyboards go. A fold up wireless keyboard would be the absolute dogs bits though if you have to enter large amounts of text, just switch the phone to landscape and let fly. :D

The Mullet of G
2nd November 2007, 12:14 AM

Come tomorrow all things going well I think those media keys will become a lot more useful, I have reason to believe that the N Gage app will use them for landscape gaming which would be almost impossible otherwise, don't quote me on that but I saw a few hints here and there. :)

Ben
5th November 2007, 04:17 PM
As time goes by I still prefer the N95's slider over the N95 8GB. I could never live with that irritating 'click', but if I had an N95 without this fault it'd be pretty sweet. The larger area for the front keys does also make opening and closing the slider easier with the thumb.

That's about where my preference for the N95 ends, though. The N95 8GB's software is definitely quicker than that of its predecessor. Messaging is quite similar in speed, but Gallery, Contacts and other areas you're likely to use often are a lot faster.

The speed of the N95 8GB is matched if not exceeded by its stability. Where the N95 has reset itself a couple of times, the N95 8GB hasn't made a fuss. The only thing I have noticed is a 'flicker' as the screen fades to black while the screen saver is active.

You know, I still love both phones and it's true that there isn't much between them. Yet they feel so very different. While I would find it hard to recommend the N95 over the 8GB version, I can appreciate that some will still prefer it. For a few I know the memory card is a deal breaker anyway, but I can't help think that anyone taking the original since the 8GB has been released is getting screwed with their pants on.

I think the N95 8GB should really be called the N95i 8GB. It's misleading to just emphasise the extra memory when the phone just feels so different. But then Nokia probably didn't want to anger too many N95 owners.

Ben
11th November 2007, 01:57 PM
Well, armed with my duo of N95's I'd be lying if I didn't admit that my mobile usage has changed considerably over the N73. Omitting the unusual restarts of the older N95, both handsets have otherwise performed remarkably well. The N95 8GB in particular is the first Nokia I've had for many years that doesn't feel like it's a beta release. It's also the first I've had on a network rather than SIM Free, so I'm hoping that's a coincidence though I suppose it's entirely possible that a network handset, particularly an exclusive, may well have been subjected to more extensive testing than an early SIM Free.

I might be wrong here - but is there any directional capability of the N95 GPS, ie to act as a compass? I found out how to set the map north, but what I was really looking for is for the map to lay itself out according to the direction I was facing. I think the omission of this compass facility is a bit of a let down, particularly for on-foot navigation. As for finding nearby features marked on the map, I found a lot of phoneboxes... and not much else.

In my personal opinion, anyone wanting an N95 does, from now on, need to get the 8GB variant. The only exception is for folk who keep multiple memory cards and regularly interchange them, or who use them for printing their pictures - at supermarket kiosks for example. Otherwise, as the N95 already has mini USB 2.0, why not just attach the handset to a computer in order to quickly switch content in and out of the whopping 8GB of mass memory on the new variant? With so much memory on board I really see very little point in having removable storage when the handsets life expectancy is probably only 18 months for a power user and it's doubtful that during that time frame removable memory will offer any overly substantial improvement.

The reasons for this choice are well documented. There's improved camera start up and capture time. I think the capture time is particularly impressive, and thankfully I haven't been able to reproduce my 8GB's one-off delay of several seconds. I think this probably related to the autofocus in low light situations... so just be aware. Then there's battery life. I get about the same battery life out of my two N95's, with both being good for over 48 hours. However, I'm using the 8GB way way more, for GPS, browsing, pictures, calls and more. What I can conclude from this outcome is that, while the N95 and N95 8GB share an almost identical feature set the 8GB really does allow you to use those features in a meaningful way. Then there's RAM. Battery life aside, if there's one thing that will really allow you to get the most from your N95 it's the ability to run as many applications at the same time as you need to. The 8GB makes multi-tasking on S60 a reality, with no OOM (Out Of Memory) errors to report and seemingly no worrying leaks given that I haven't switched the thing off in over a week.

Those are some of the big factors. But what could be bigger than physical appearance? It's the first thing anyone is going to notice, and it's not hard to conclude that the 8GB variant is also the aesthetic winner. More than the black exterior, it's the vast screen that makes this stand out in a crowd. On paper the extra screen size doesn't sound like much, but in practice? It's remarkable how even a slightly bigger screen can make a handset so much more accessible.

So where does all this leave current N95 owners? Well, I'd say that if you can get hold of an N95 8GB at an expense that is acceptable to you then you're unlikely to regret it. Otherwise, for the majority of N95 users under contract, there's not much you can do until your next upgrade anyway. So, not to worry, you had a fantastic smartphone months before the 8GB variant was available and you'll be able to upgrade to the latest and the greatest months before 8GB users can. I do feel for you, though. It's an absolutely infuriating update to an incredibly popular phone, practically an admission that the original wasn't good enough, and if I were you I'd be tempted to kick up a fuss under your warranty if your original N95 is experiencing problems that make it unusable to you. I'm sure, though, that in reality this is an incredibly small number of people and I'm doubtful you'd get anywhere anyway.

Where does this leave me? I'm very happy with my N95 8GB. It's certainly the best Nokia smartphone I have ever used or owned.

Thanks for tracking this comparison and review. I hope you have found it useful. Enjoy your N95's!

Hands0n
11th November 2007, 04:49 PM
I might be wrong here - but is there any directional capability of the N95 GPS, ie to act as a compass? I found out how to set the map north, but what I was really looking for is for the map to lay itself out according to the direction I was facing. I think the omission of this compass facility is a bit of a let down, particularly for on-foot navigation.

With GPS the "Compass" feature can only work when you actually induce some movement in any particular direction. This is because [when you are static] GPS is giving you your position on the planet, not the direction you are facing. It cannot hope to know your direction unless the instrument you are using has some kind of magnetic sensor built in. GPS will not percieve your rotation on the spot.

Some reading for you :)

The Magnetic Compass

A traditional compass uses a suspended pointer which swings around to line up with the earth's magnetic field. The pointer indicates where North is. You can then rotate an outer dial to align with North and read off your current bearing.

The Differential Compass

This is an alternative way to take a bearing. You must be moving and it's essential to know your precise position so it's perfect for GPS. As you move through the countryside the GPS periodically records your position. By comparing where you were to where you are now the GPS can work out which direction you are heading and uses this to indicate the current bearing.

Limitations of a Differential Compass

You have to be moving. The faster and further you move the more accurate this technique can be. If you stop moving then the GPS can still work out your precise position but cannot give you a bearing. You also need to be within sight of the satellites so, for example, a GPS based differential compass would not work in a cave.

And so back to the Magnetic Compass.

GPS manufacturers recognise that whilst a differential compass is fine most of the time, users still like the security of a magnetic compass. The traditional magnetic compass has been fitted with electronic sensors and bundled into some of the GPS devices. This is what is meant when a GPS is advertised with an electronic compass. It costs a little more but allows you to take bearings when stationary or out of sight of the satellites.

Full article: http://www.tracklogs.co.uk/cgi-bin/publ/user.cgi?obj=support&mod=kbase&view=15885925

Ben
11th November 2007, 05:08 PM
So it can orient the map according to the direction of travel? I need to have more of a play I think, try and figure out what was going on.

Edit: I'm not talking about during voice direction here, btw.

gorilla
11th November 2007, 05:32 PM
Doesn't the N95 8Gb have a more powerful battey in it? I thought I read that somewhere.

I'm glad you've found the new version to be better, however, I do think that the original N95 (you had) didn't do your comparison justice. It seemed a bit flaky to me! That said, I'm not convinced about the N95. Yes it's a good phone, but there's just something about it. I'm going to give my E65 another run out this week.

Ben
11th November 2007, 09:54 PM
It does indeed, 1200 mAh vs the old 950 mAh. I've made a few references to the increase in battery capacity during the comparison.

The N95 I was sent is definitely well used. Unless WOM World are quite crazy I doubt there is anything wrong with it besides being an early (I assume) handset off of the production line.

Still, I, a sucker for having the 'latest and the greatest', resisted the original N95. There is indeed 'just something about it' to use your words gorilla.

I am very pleased to say, though, that while the Nokia N95 8GB also has 'something about it' this is no longer a negative thing. I don't view it with the same suspicion as I did with the original. Best of all, it paves the way for some remarkable future S60 smartphones from Nokia in 2008, making me optimistic where the N95 made me pessimistically think that the platform may have peaked.

miffed
16th November 2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=158600

Blimey Charlie !

I know its Expansys , and I am not saying the N95 8GB is not a great phone , worth a high price ...

But £645 ??? Come on ! it's still an N95 at the end of the day !

The Mullet of G
16th November 2007, 12:08 PM

Blimey Charlie !

I know its Expansys , and I am not saying the N95 8GB is not a great phone , worth a high price ...

Thats about par for Expansys, the original N95 was over £700 on Expansys at one point.

Ben
16th November 2007, 12:28 PM
They're unbelievable they really are. They may have an extensive catalogue but all too often they're complete rip-off merchants.

I've always had good prices and service from The Order (http://www.theorder.co.uk/simfree/offline/deals/Nokia/N95%208GB). £494 is a lot of money, but the N95 8GB is worth it.

It's £550 on Vodafone PAYG in-store. Better to buy SIM-Free!

miffed
16th November 2007, 12:48 PM
I'd pay £500 (hypothetically speaking) - but £650 is simply too much for a device like this
I expected this kind of price for the E90 - as the Communicator fraternity are always happy to pay over the odds for handset that is different from the norm ,
Although having said that , I do realise the N95i (as I'd rather call it :D ) outspecs the E90 ,
Maybe I'm just getting old !

Hands0n
16th November 2007, 10:32 PM
Expansys are just insane! And yet they were selling hose BT keyboards for less than half price of anywhere else!! Go figure :eek:

The Mullet of G
17th November 2007, 10:05 AM
I usually only look at Expansys so I can laugh at there prices, and so far they've never let me down. :D

aidey6
17th November 2007, 11:26 AM

Blimey Charlie !

£645?! I am going to be paying less than £500 (Including handset) on a 12month contract for mine.

Ben
17th November 2007, 11:33 AM
Hehe, nice! Yeah, Expansys are loony rip-off merchants. Mine comes in at £650, that's 18 months, though. Given that I've never used a handset for longer than 10 months though I can imagine me bearing the cost of another handset SIM-Free by summer. Not from Expansys, though ;)

miffed
19th November 2007, 02:00 PM

Down to £604 now ! - Look like Expansys operate a "screw the early adopter" policy
I realise they were expensive for top notch mobiles , Just didn't quite realise to what level !

Funny , because when I was looking at UMPC's they seem to have the best prices on the net , same with some smartphones - looks like they go for a huge markup on release to make their profits , then when the markwet catches uo , they drop their prices to a more competive level

....The Swines !

Ben
26th November 2007, 10:23 AM
Well, I'm pleased to say that my replacement N95 8GB (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4754) (original (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4748)) has a slightly nicer slide mechanism than the first one I had - there's a bit less friction, making it feel a bit better.

The buttons also feel great.

One thing I had noticed - my last N95 8GB had started to get marks on the back. God knows how, I keep the thing in an iPod sock. But marks there were. It wasn't really obvious until I had it lying next to the replacement.

miffed
14th December 2007, 09:35 PM
Expansys REALLY are all over the place with these prices - I looked the other day , and the 8GB had come to a sensible £504 , then yesterday it was £489
Then , today I noticed it is back up to £549 !

What are they playing at ? their prices really are a lottery !