View Full Version : Nokia N95 8GB Unboxing 1

Ben
27th October 2007, 12:25 PM
So that you know what to expect in the box when you purchase the Nokia N95 8GB, I took a selection of photos with the N73 as I opened it up.

First off, we've got the box itself. The exterior is clean and simple looking.

Inside there's a nice cardboard overlay with a cutout for the phone, covered by a piece of transparent plastic, to poke through. Much nicer than opening up to see a whole bunch of cables.

Pull the cover away, and everything else is revealed. I believe the internal layout of the box is quite different to the original N95, where I think the battery sat under the handset. Now it sits to the left of it. Also visible are the headphones and the inline remote.

Ben
27th October 2007, 12:30 PM
Beneath this layer of accessories is a further area in the bottom of the box, containing manuals, the charger and the audio/video cables.

The rear of the handset contains the only exterior Vodafone branding, in matching silver ink to the Nokia logo.

All in all the handset is well packaged and presented. The packaging itself lacks wow factor, but then almost every Nokia box always does. If Nokia want to encourage more unboxing practices of their handsets then they need to raise the bar for quality and design in their packaging. The user experience starts right at the box.

miffed
27th October 2007, 01:02 PM
TBH mate that is pretty much the same packaging arrangement that both my n95's had , nicer than the usual "chuck it in a box" approach

The branding looks pretty inoffensive (and probably easily enough to remove too ! ) - so thats a good thing
Nice to see the the stupid uncovered LCD of the original LCD has been covered too , making for a more robust device

What is the texture of the rear case like ? is it the same soft "non slip" plastic as the orginal ? I hated this to start with , but after a while I liked it and thought it as a good idea

I agree with you about the packaging being important , the last Nokia I bought that was well packaged was the 9210i communicator - this had real 'wow' factor , strong sturdy box & inserts , even the various manuals , discs etc seemed to come in sturdy "sub" boxes - This really hit home to me when I got an 9500 - which was in a flimsy , cheap , distorted box
But then this is not an exclusive problem to Nokia - I think the only handsets I have bought with excellent packaging are the Prada (obviously , the box is probably worth more than the phone ! ) and the (surprise surprise) motorola a1000
I do like my boxes though , most people I know simply rip them up and throw them away - so decent packaging may be wasted on the masses !

Hands0n
27th October 2007, 03:51 PM
I love the unboxing thing Ben - my only trouble is that I cannot wait long enough to do the pictures :D Note to self, must try harder next time I get a new toy^H^H^H appliance.

Hands0n
27th October 2007, 09:51 PM
I was over at Bluewater this afternoon and noticed that Vodafone are promoting the N95 8GB with the latest Spiderman movie pre-installed. Did you get that with your's Ben? How much memory does the movie take up? Where these are concerned 8GB isn't that much at all (as I found out with my 16GB iPod Touch which filled up with my current crop of must watch.

Ben
27th October 2007, 10:58 PM
It's 834402kb. Fantastic quality!

chagle
28th October 2007, 12:34 AM
Will you please stop doing this - I'm getting very jealous!! :-) Seeing pictures is making me sulk...! Talk about insult to injury LOL

When's T-Mobile going to have this? They are slow with new handsets me thinks!

Ben
28th October 2007, 10:41 AM
It's a Vodafone excusive at the moment I'm afraid, and I'd imagine it'll stay that way until at least after Christmas. I'd normally buy SIM Free, but I coudn't wait! :D

aidey6
4th November 2007, 10:16 AM
I have received this handset on an upgrade from Vodafone last wednesday and am liking it alot. ;)

(I took time out from owning a 3G handset after my N70 as nothing appealed to me for a while)

I am impressed with the speed at which it starts up when powering on, the camera setting options are pretty impressive for a phone. It may well stop me taking my digital camera out with me as often. (I wish they'd added an optical zoom though)

I was slightly surprised there was no bluetooth headset in there too. I guess I am bit greedy as my previous handset was the 8800 SE :p

I feel it's going to take me a while to suss out all the things this baby can do!!! :D

Is it me or do the file size, seem a bit small for a 5Meg picture, my mate took a picture with his E90 and it was about 429k, mine have varied from 414k to 578kb. I would have though they would be bigger (file size wise that is)

Hands0n
4th November 2007, 11:39 AM
The compression of the pictures is going to be as much to do with subject matter as the efficiencies of the jpeg encoder, yours might be a bit more efficient. The thing to look at is the image quality in comparison - camera optics aside the image taken on your N95 8GB should be comparable [at least] to the E90s if they're both 5Mpixel cameras.

The N95 8GB is a bit of a beast. Most phones don't compare that well with digital cameras, the latter of which have superior optics. The only cameraphones that I have found that truly compare with a digital camera are the Sony Ericsson Cybershot cameraphones. I have got a retired SE W900i that beats the pants off of any other manufacturer's cameraphone with standard optics. The only Nokia that has comparable optics is the N93 and its successor the N93i with Carl Zeiss lens and 3x Optical Zoom. Even being only (!) a 3.2Mpixel camera its image quality is superior to the N95 and, dare I say, the N95 8GB.

aidey6
4th November 2007, 12:17 PM
I think his E90 is 3.2Meg.

I am pleased with my choice of handset, (to think I was tempted by Apple iPhone earlierthis year) especially after reading http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2007/iphone-as-phone-en.shtml and watching the gadget show last monday when they did their rather funny iPhone vs N95 test ;)

Hands0n
4th November 2007, 04:37 PM
@aidey6 - Here are a few pix to compare the N95 (non-8GB) and the N93, the latter has the Carl Zeiss optics.

See the pix attached - Left to Right
1. N93 normal setting
2. N93 full optical zoom
3. N95 normal setting
4. N95 50% through digital zoom range

I think that the images speak for themselves :)

The Mullet of G
4th November 2007, 05:52 PM
@aidey6 - Here are a few pix to compare the N95 (non-8GB) and the N93, the latter has the Carl Zeiss optics.

See the pix attached - Left to Right
1. N93 normal setting
2. N93 full optical zoom
3. N95 normal setting
4. N95 50% through digital zoom range

I think that the images speak for themselves :)

both N95 and N93 have Carl Zeiss Optics. Optical zoom is definitely a good thing although those N93 images aren't the greatest, how is it on close up pics?

Hands0n
4th November 2007, 05:56 PM
All of these camerphones suffer from low light - and it was beginning to fade when I took these.

I don't like close up pics on any cameraphone, they typically don't like to get too far in and lose focus rapidly - even when they think they've focussed correctly!