View Full Version : My £1,700.73 Bill from Vodafone (data charges abroad)

Ben
31st October 2007, 04:26 PM
Well, this is the Customer Experiences section for Vodafone so, yet again, I'm going to share another of my experiences with all of you lovely people.

My business bill dropped through the office letterbox this morning. I still hadn't been charged for my usage when I popped over to Spain the other month, so I was expecting it to finally hit. Not quite as hard as it did, though.

A little background. Before I set off for my 6 days in Spain a couple of months ago I rang Vodafone's 'Business Teams' to check roaming was enabled and confirm pricing. I was told in no uncertain terms that on my Mobile Broadband tariff it would cost £8.50+VAT a day. There's a FUP of 50MB. So, for my 6 days access it'd cost just £51.00, a more than acceptable figure for business.

While in Spain the experience was fantastic. The rock solid HSDPA connection was fast in terms of latency and bandwidth and, via my VPN, it really was a 'work from work'.

My bill, then, comprises of the following:
Mobile Broadband £25 x2 (I only took one account with me)
Usage charges £1397.43
+VAT

What I was expecting was:
Mobile Broadband £25 x2
Usage charges £51 (£8.50x6)
+VAT

I called Vodafone knowing that some serious mistakes had been made. I feared that I hadn't been given the 'full picture' on the pricing before I left, but knew that the figure Vodafone had arrived at was impossible.

The Vodafone agent was helpful. He didn't really talk me through the charges in a way I could understand, but was liaising with a supervisor.

Vodafone identified that actually, for reasons I don't understand, I had been charged for every megabyte. So, a quick recalculation and they had my bill down by £600 or so. "Ok... but that's still not right" was my response.

Further investigation found that I'd used just over 300MB in Spain. At 50MB/day that'd be about right. However, that's not how things had worked out.

As the sessions are per-24 hours, I'd actually only qualified for four £8.50 sessions. That left over 100MB of data that I had been charged for, automatically, in a 'capped' fashion rather than a 'FUP' one.

The agent emphasised with the fact that I didn't know this and after another recalculation my bill was £337. "Ok... but that's still not right".

I said that I was prepared to pay £101+VAT, that's my 6 days at £8.50 covering the 300MB and my line rentals.

A few more calculations later and the total came back as £50+VAT, basically removing all of the Spain charges including the daily fee. I acknowledged that if I were to use the tariff abroad again in future I would be held to a strict 50MB/24h policy with immediate charges should I go over (we can argue whether that's a FUP or not later, boys and girls), and we were agreed. That's assuming, of course, that they'd actually charge correctly for the £8.50 sessions - they didn't even manage to do that!

So, I'm happy now, essentially having had Spain for free in exchange for 20 minutes of stress.

This is just another example of how the UK's most robust (IMHO) and trusted (by businesses) network has fallen down on billing. Vodafone absolutely suck at billing. Every time they implement a new advanced billing scheme, like STC or Free Weekends, something goes wrong and customers are charged incorrectly. I have to commend Vodafone on their excellent CS, despite the experience being a little confusing, though I hate to think how much somebody would have paid if they didn't stand their ground and have the same (semi-)technical understanding as I do.

Taking your Vodafone Mobile Broadband contract abroad? Expecting to pay £8.50 a day? Take my advice: Call Vodafone before you go abroad. Get them to tell you all of the charges and note your account. Take the agents name. Whenever you connect while abroad, make a note of the time and be extremely careful that you do not use in excess of 50MB in 24 hours. I strongly recommend noting down the dates and times when you connect, you'll probably need to call CS on your return to straighten out your bill!

I think I'm going to hit the staff room with a bottle of Kalms. Thanks for reading!

miffed
31st October 2007, 05:30 PM
£1,700 for 6 days ? ....sounds like Vodafone have dropped the price a bit since I last used them used them for data ;) ...I see that 'better latency' comes at a price ;)

No , but seriously now - I'm glad you got that sorted ammicably , as this is not the sort of overcharge you want to put down to experience !

Ben
31st October 2007, 05:38 PM
I should add that when I previously discussed the FUP for data use, albeit in the context of within the UK, I was told that Vodafone would never apply extra charges without first giving me the chance to reduce my usage. Obviously that same sanity doesn't apply if you're using data abroad.

The most insane thing of all is that, with Vodafone's networks the length and breadth of Europe, it's not costing them a great deal more for one of their subscribers to use data in any country. I thought the £8.50/24h pricing was a breakthrough, and it is, but realistically there's not enough live reporting (ie data usage, time session started, time session will expire) or flexibility to make the otherwise innovative tariff a practical reality.

Vodafone need to revisit this one. There's NO WAY that they can claim this:
"Mobile Broadband customers can connect in the following countries and pay just £8.50 for 24 hours of data access." (link (http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template11&pageID=BS_0029&tabIndex=2))
and this:
"Usage is subject to a fair usage policy of 50MB per 24 hours."
When what they really mean is this:
"Usage is subject to a cap of 50MB per 24 hour session. Any usage over 50MB in a 24 hour session will be charged at £x.xx/MB."

Still not sure why I had the whole Spain charge removed - I was quite happy to pay for what I believed my charges should have been - but I'm grateful to them and will accept it as some sort of compensation for the inconvenience and, I guess, as an admission that the pricing structure is ridiculous.

Hands0n
31st October 2007, 05:54 PM
I think that Vodafone spotted something and decided to get you off of the phone as quickly as possible :D

3g-g
31st October 2007, 09:33 PM
£1700 eh? Dear Lord I'd of had a heart attack right there and then.

I'll give Vodafone their dues, sorting it out in 20 minutes is good going, and I think when you've a really very poor billing system in place you need the best of CS to resolve things, and it looks as if they still have that. However, it should never have even come to the phone call in the first place!

It's a shame that it's still going on, there was a fair bit of coverage a while ago about their billing issues, which I thought they'd resolved... apparently not.

I'm sure El Reg would love to hear your story of how Voda managed to reduce £1700 to £50 + VAT! ;)

Ben
31st October 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm sure they would! I think I'll wait until after my direct debit date before I share this story too widely, but I don't mind if anyone else tips them off either. It has been far too long since the last £xxxx data bill story. I never thought in a million years it'd happen to me.

gorilla
31st October 2007, 11:08 PM
Was that one of those pesky english speaking call centres based in England? They'll always give you bother!

Ben
2nd November 2007, 06:10 PM
I love my Business Teams I do ;)

Just called again, balance on account is £58.75 so it looks like the correction took place correctly. The DD isn't for another 10 days so, in theory, that will also collect the correct amount.

Mad world.

The Mullet of G
3rd November 2007, 11:19 AM
Thats a pretty hefty bill, I reckon I would have filtered my breakfast through the seat of my trousers upon reading that one. Glad to hear you got it sorted out and then some, but like you say if it wasn't for you being quite well versed on the subject matter you could have ended up paying a fortune. Jolly good job that man. :D

hecatae
3rd November 2007, 10:14 PM
I think that Vodafone spotted something and decided to get you off of the phone as quickly as possible :D

As in taking them to court for that would be fun, plus legal expenses, could have made a bit of money.

Ben
4th November 2007, 10:45 PM
Mhm good points. Oh well, they've completely mitigated any threat of that from me. It's all very sad really, the promotion/offer/tariff has the potential to be fantastic. :(

Ben
12th November 2007, 05:07 PM
Update: The DD came out, £58.75. Happy days!

Hands0n
12th November 2007, 05:15 PM
Reeeeezult! :D Excellent that Vodfone followed it up correctly, nice one. You have to hand it to those chaps at Vodafone, they aren't half bad at resolving issues like this. Leaves a nice aftertaste :)

3g-g
12th November 2007, 06:46 PM
What on earth would you have done if the DD had been the original 1700 bucks!?

I perish the thought! :)

Ben
12th November 2007, 11:08 PM
LoL, gotten a bit shouty on the blower I would have thought.

Vodafone are currently promoting mobile broadband for consumers (£30/mo due to the VAT). Despite being more expensive than similar offerings, it really is very robust and I don't think the monthly rental is prohibitive. What worries me is that as consumers start to snap these up there'll be more frequent instances of this gross overcharging. My head would have been less cool if the £1,700 bill had been on my personal contract linked to my current account!