View Full Version : Jesus phone empties American pockets

3g-g
4th November 2007, 11:15 PM
Ahh, welcome the world of GSM roaming America!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/03/new_att_international_data_plan_for_american_iphon e_owners/

The move follows countless complaints from American iPhoners who've ventured outside the country and returned home to sky-high wireless bills. After a trip to Mexico and a $2000 monthly bill, one character even slapped Apple with a class action lawsuit.

You see, the Jesus phone is setup to automatically poll the network for email messages, and if you're an American roaming outside the country, this can be rather expensive.

Ben
5th November 2007, 08:55 AM
Lol, oh dear oh dear. Well, the new tariffs are a start I suppose. I hate that roaming is such a cash cow that no network can afford to be truly competitive. It's unfortunate that everyone is going to tough this one out until regulation does the business - at least there are clear signs of that happening here in Europe.

Hands0n
5th November 2007, 06:43 PM
Thats the trouble with the Americans though - they are generally so insular that the mere thought of international travel, and thus roaming, is not at all high on their consciousness. To quote one ex-working colleage of mine from New York "Why do I need a passport when everything I need to see is here?" I retorted "What about the pyramids of Egypt then?" to which he replied "Oh, we got one of them in Vegas"

Yes. Quite.

gorilla
6th November 2007, 09:57 AM
My one and only time in the US was a stop over in LA. I got chatting to a few locals who were amazed that I was on holiday. (I was on the way to NZ) They just couldn't understand why anyone would go all that way.

I do feel for them however, as I'm sure Ben's recent experience highlights that we brits are as likely to get hit by high bills while roaming.