View Full Version : Common sense prevails - AT LAST !!!

miffed
6th November 2007, 06:02 PM
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/11/o2-scraps-limit.html

For the first time in British history .... ( :p )

Unlimited is actually going to MEAN unlimited !

Good news for iPhone customers - Shame o2 don't have a lot of coverage to back it up though :rolleyes:

that aside , I am pleased someone has finally done what OFCOM should have made them do ages ago ! , at the moment it is only the iPhone , but the ball is rolling .....

miffed
6th November 2007, 06:13 PM
Hmmm , Just been looking on o2's site & find this particularly interesting

http://www.o2.co.uk/assets/O2HybridNav/Static-files/iphone/iPhone-FAQs.html

Look at the paragraph "What if I fail the credit check?"

This suggests that £269 will indeed give you a iPhone ! So you could pay your £269 , get it unlocked /activated through "imaginative" means and use it !

I suppose there is the possibility that the could block your IMEI though

Ben
6th November 2007, 06:33 PM
Unlimited really can mean unlimited on EDGE. Still, I'd imagine they'll still be monitoring the situation very closely and contacting usage-heavy customers if there's VoIP, IM or large transfers. We'll see! :D Good news, though, definitely.

solo12002
6th November 2007, 07:04 PM
Unlimited is actually going to MEAN unlimited !

Yes just like their 3G network ! Nice to know that in parts of my town i get EDFE in the local hospital f@@k all anywere else. this will be another failure for o2, this should only of been taken on a 3g network.

I for one would not buy this mobile now to find that in 6/18 months at the most they have a 3G one out!

miffed
6th November 2007, 07:57 PM
TBH I am almost falling for it !

I'll be very surprised if I don't have a 2.5g iPhone by this time next week

Hands0n
6th November 2007, 09:00 PM
I'm staying well away from this. Defo no interest in a non-3G handset of that cost and obligation.

Would I buy one if it was 3G? Sure, if it wasn't on O2's network that does not have 3G here where the other four networks have 5 solid bars of the stuff!

Ben
6th November 2007, 11:34 PM
Mhm I'm with Hands0n a little here. I think we need to lock you up for a week or so, miffed, and hope this enthusiasm passes ;) We don't want another Prada situation developing now, do we!

gorilla
7th November 2007, 09:55 AM
This is not the time to buy into O2 or the iphone. Please refer to the title of this thread.

Common sense would tell anyone not to buy a new gadget for that sort of crazy money.

Any network could provide unlimited data over edge without much fear. I mean honestly, how much can the average punter download over an edge connection? (an unlimited amount, ha ha!:D)

At the rate Apple release new products, the current generation of iphones can only have another few months left, before a 3g version with bigger memory comes a knocking. Although, 3g isn't that important in the American market (is it?) so maybe Apple will not release a 3g model next?

Has there been any more talk about the French version? I'm thinking that it should be able to work with any sim i.e. if you're on holiday in France and pick one up, your UK sim should work automatically? And might not get bricked when itunes gets a hold of it.
Who knows, but good luck to all those people who purchase an iphone and activate it on O2. I feel your pain already;)

miffed
8th November 2007, 09:28 AM
I don't know - I don't like the idea of everyone else having shiny new iPhones and not me !
What would you say if I told you I have been using my Touch with T-mobile's HSDPA network over the last couple of days ? ;)

I reckon I could be happy with an HSDPA iPhone ....

:cool:

gorilla
8th November 2007, 09:48 AM
Well ahead of the launch there are lots of news stories. One says that you can't send an sms to multiple recipients. That can't be right? Oh and there was lots of other gripes, but the biggest was with the network, O2. Can you also not use your own headphones?

What I would say is that if you really want one, then get one, activate it on O2 and review it here. I'd be pretty interested to hear what edge is like on O2 (that's assuming you'll get edge). The thought of browsing the web with a non 3g phone sends shivers down my spine.

miffed
8th November 2007, 09:50 AM
The thought of browsing the web with a non 3g phone sends shivers down my spine.

I wouldn't be ! I'd be using HSDPA :)

Ben
8th November 2007, 10:16 AM
How does that work? Via a device that allows sharing via WiFi?

Mhm, I'm not sold :p Still, if you want to get one and then take a lorra pictures of it and put them on here for us to dribble over then I'm all for that!

miffed
8th November 2007, 10:51 AM
Yeah , there is a little app available for WM6 devices that simply turns the phone into a Wi-fi Router , and shares your HSDPA connection

Since I carry the Ameo about anyway , it may as well make itself useful !
But smaller devices such as the Tytn will do the same job

Hoping someone at fisher-price can knock up a similar app for S60 so I can use the e90 for the same purpose

This little app has made me none the wiser though when it comes to iPhones - at first I thought "wahey - now I am DEFINATELY going to get one" - but now I am thinking ,"why bother when I can do it all on the touch / ameo combination ? "

I still reckon I won't be able to walk past an Apple / CPW / o2 shop without shedding £270 though :(

gorilla
8th November 2007, 01:52 PM
So, is browsing on the itouch that good?

Ben
8th November 2007, 04:25 PM
It's full on Safari on a real touch screen with multi-touch. It's that good!

Don't take my word for it, though! http://www.trustedreviews.com/apple/review/2007/11/08/Apple-iPhone/p1

miffed
8th November 2007, 05:01 PM
in a word, yes ! it really is that good
hard to explain , but the whole UI is simply a joy to use , I'd never have believed that viewing full size web pages on a relatively small screen could be so natural and pleasant
Absolutely everythnig you do on the touch makes you thiink 'wow , thats slick !' - even entering a password into it !
As for text input -absolutey perfect - you simply tap the field and you are in total control - puts every other smart device I have ever used to shame iin a major way .
So , the only bad thing about the iPhone is the slow connection speed [lets forget that I have an HSDPA access point in my other pocket for now]
So I'll throw up this analogy-
The iphones UI is so far ahead of anything else , that I woulld say , if the iphone is OSX leopard - then S60 & WM are windows 95 - What would you rather use on a day to day basis? a W95 machine with a broadband connection , or a Leopard machine on Dial-up ?
(of course , i'll have leopard on a broadband connection , which makes the whole thing far more bearable , but not everyone has an AP in their pocket)

@NickyColman
8th November 2007, 10:46 PM
Gotta agree with Miffed there!! The Safari browser on the iPhone is second to none!! Its literally a slimmed down version of its Mac equivalent!! Its SO easy to use and the idea of 'fingering' your way round pages feels so natural!

Ive had a few crashes on my iPhone when using Safari, but its been on extremely intensive web pages. Good thing is, if and wheb it does crash, Safari opens right where it left off so its not all bad!!

Hands0n
8th November 2007, 11:49 PM
What would you say if I told you I have been using my Touch with T-mobile's HSDPA network over the last couple of days ? ;)

:cool:

I would say "How?" as it does not sport Bluetooth!

Cummon, spill the beans!

Ben
9th November 2007, 12:28 AM
He's using an ap to share wifi on Windows Mobile, details are a few posts up. That's certainly one way of doing things. Certainly an early adopters way!

miffed
9th November 2007, 07:31 AM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=332360

The WM app is here , although it all looks very intensive , it really is simply a case of install and use.
Downside is , you have to carry an extra around , which I do anyway -but others may see that as a problem
AFAIK any 3G WM Wifi device will do - If anyone wanted to buy themselves a "portable access point , then HTC Universal can be picked up for little more than £100 on eBay , or a Tytn for a few quid more (£140 ? ) would give you a pretty small HSDPA point !
I realise this is not an Ideal work around for the masses , but keep in mind I'd have had the Ameo about my person anyway , so it is no big deal

miffed
9th November 2007, 09:58 AM
Room for one more ?

gorilla
9th November 2007, 10:35 AM
I had to laugh at that. One of them told a national newspaper that even if the iphone only lived up to half its promises it would still save him carrying round an ipod, phone, address book and something else (can't remember). He's a 22 year old student.

Can I just point out (not that you'll need reminding) but my last 3 phones have all done the above. Does this imply that Apple users are...not the brightest bunch?:D

Maybe that was uncalled for, after all we have Apple users here. :p

Anyway, the sun, that great british establishment has an article on the iphone. Their reporter didn't like it because, get this, it's internet is crap.

Now take a moment to digest that.

He clarifies his position by then stating that the internet is crap because you have to use wifi. No you don't. We'll you do if want to view any website today, because the iphone uses edge.

So there you go. The official iphone review by the sun. I suggest you thumb back to page 3 which has a nice article on...:o

Ben
9th November 2007, 10:38 AM
It's always nice when The Sun reminds us that it really is an intelligent paper for intelligent people...

Surely there wont be stock shortages for the launch... I think the US was pretty well stocked.

miffed
9th November 2007, 01:43 PM
*plugs ears* LA LA LA LA LA LA ! :D

Now where did I put that Credit card ? ( annoyingly , I have the cash on me at the moment , but apparantly that isn't good enough :confused: )

gorilla
9th November 2007, 02:24 PM
Just out of interest, will this now be your primary phone?

Hands0n
9th November 2007, 08:06 PM
Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........ Staying away ........

I am not going anywhere near Bluewater for the next few weeks! :D

No, really, until a 3G iPhone comes out on a network that isn't O2 I'll be plodding along on my Symbian N95.

miffed
9th November 2007, 09:13 PM
Staying away for tonight - (not through choice though :mad: )

Will venture into town first thing tomorrow AM to see is O2 or CPW have any left - If they do I'll have one :D

miffed
9th November 2007, 09:14 PM
Just out of interest, will this now be your primary phone?

Yep , one of em ! as I usually carry two phone I'll not be missing any features (MMS / Video calling etc )

Hands0n
10th November 2007, 12:13 AM
...... see if O2 or CPW have any left - If they do I'll have one :D

If the newscasts are anything to go by I suspect that you will have your choice of a number of suppliers. They certainly weren't shifting like they were in the USA. But then we're more discerning over 'ere.