View Full Version : What should I do ? (iPhone)

miffed
9th November 2007, 09:40 PM
I am pretty sure I am going to get an iPhone tomorrow (stock permitting !)

I am not sure whether to go the whole hog and get an o2 Contract - or simple buy the thing , wait for the Hackers to do their magic and use it on T-mobile ? (and risk having it bricked by a software update )

What do ya reckon ?

@NickyColman
9th November 2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Miffed, i had the same dilemma a few weeks ago and decided to go with Hack & unlock!

I got mine imported from the US and overall its brilliant.

There are a few issues tho. YouTube doesnt work due to the method that was used to unlock it, and the stability of Safari leaves a lot to be desired.

I love my iPhone, but it is beginning to dawn on me that im always going to have the Safari crashes and no updates due to it being unlocked.

If O2 had done some more competitive tariffs with more texts, then there would be no question of what i would have done! But £35 for 200 texts and mins is almost as crippling as the software crashes and bugs.

If you can survive on the tariff O2 is offering then i would say DO IT! But if your going to get it, only to be scared off by prohibitive pricing, then maybe the Hack is the way to go!

miffed
9th November 2007, 10:06 PM
I usually carry two phones , and have a lot of minutes . texts etc on other contracts so I can get away with the measly o2 offerings
I can afford the £35 PM , but would also be pleased to save myself £35 pm if I could unlock the thing properly !

TBH I am swaying towards getting the o2 contract - at least then the Visual voicemail etc will work properly , and , as you point out , at least it will be optimised in regards of latest software etc

3g-g
9th November 2007, 10:11 PM
I think neither my friend.

I think you should resist. I played with one for a few hours when I was in the US, I was going to purchase and hack... and in the store it all seemed so good, till I noticed we were on WiFi. A quick venture onto EDGE and the handset is nothing but a glorified text message sender with an iPod on the side, you can just disregard the internet completely when on GSM.

Don't get me wrong, it's a superb piece of engineering, lovely to look at and so slick... and using a Mac as you do I'm sure you'd be hooked, but try to resist, go and play, walk away and think, go back and play again, walk away and think again. That's what I did, and realised it probably wasn't worth it!

Buy an iPod touch to get over your frustrations!

@NickyColman
9th November 2007, 10:22 PM
3g-g has a point! Maybe u shud have a play with one in the store, go away, think about it, then go back. You will be then able to asses how much you want the device!! If its all you've ever wanted and more then get it on O2. If you are prepared to own it a few months before wanting iPhone 2 or a new handset, then get it unlocked. That way you wont have made such a massive investment.

miffed
9th November 2007, 10:25 PM
I think neither my friend.

Buy an iPod touch to get over your frustrations!

Got one mate ! thats what led me to this point ;)

Been using it on T-mobiles HSDPA network (via a shared WIFI connection on my other phone ) This is documented in the "AT LAST !" thread

3g-g
9th November 2007, 10:33 PM
Got one mate ! thats what led me to this point ;)

Been using it on T-mobiles HSDPA network (via a shared WIFI connection on my other phone ) This is documented in the "AT LAST !" thread

miffed you have issues man! An iPod touch and you want an iPhone?!

I'm sure you'll be impressed by the phone... then massively let down by O2, I just don't think it's worth it.

I say this, but I know there'll be a post from you tomorrow saying you've bought one!

Hands0n
10th November 2007, 12:22 AM
I voted "Get another contract" - but not as a recommendation to buy the iPhone, I would strongly caution against at this time. For all of the reasons that I've said elsewhere, the iPhone in 3G-land is going to disappoint bitterly, particularly as you have now got used to HSDPA.

It may be that you'll get over it by continuing to use your snazzy WiFi-to-HSDPA link. But that is cheating, you are not using O2 at all. The only thing you are going to get out of the O2 deal is going to be the Visual Voicemail. Is it really worth the £295 plus £35pcm? Will you get good use out of the "free" access to The Cloud? Questions, questions......

No doubt about it - the Apple/O2 spin on why the iPhone does not need 3G is rubbish. That a battery-economical 3G handset cannot be built is equally nonsense. The Chinese did it with the Amoi (3 Skypephone) - and that is a first-generation device from that company. Perhaps Apple's next iPhone should be built by Amoi? :D

Mate, the advise is stay away. Live to buy another day :)

miffed
10th November 2007, 08:28 AM
Something that is really starting to bug me is the media blabbing on about how ridiculously expensive the iPhone & Contract is

So here is a little test

I'd like you to price me up -

A Nokia N95 8GB
200 minutes & 200 texts
Unlimited data (I'll even accept a FUP - although BIM the o2 deal is truly unlimited )
"The cloud" unlimited hotspot access

If anyone comes back with all the above - a lower monthly cost & a cheaper price for the N95 8GB than o2 offer this & the iPhone for (£269 & £35 pm) I will personally buy them a box of Jaffa Cakes ;)

See how close you can get ! .... just for a bit of fun

3GScottishUser
10th November 2007, 08:53 AM
Phones4U currently offer:

FREE Nokia N95 8GB Black
£50 Auto Cashback
750 minutes a month
250 texts a month
Unlimited Landline Minutes
Unlimited mobile internet
FREE Delivery

£45/Month X18 = Total £809.50 after £50 Cashback

i-phone = £269.00 + 18 X £35 = Total £899.00

Looks like a lot more airtime and a lot better spec handset for a lower price.

gorilla
10th November 2007, 10:05 AM
You seem pretty set on getting one. I say hack and unlock. It'll never be truly bricked and I'm sure that the hackers will always be fairly close behind Apple. Just don't upgrade the firmware until you know you can reverse engineer it.

miffed
10th November 2007, 10:41 AM
Well , all comments taken and digested ..... ;)

...Just got back from o2 Canterbury , and am about to start setting things up

:D

Thanks for the comments :D

Ben
10th November 2007, 10:43 AM
Lmao, talk about a pointless exercise! It was fun, though ;)

Plenty of stock everywhere? Don't forget the unboxing photos!

miffed
10th November 2007, 11:46 AM
Lmao, talk about a pointless exercise! It was fun, though ;)

Plenty of stock everywhere? Don't forget the unboxing photos!

LOL , yeah , I rushed into the shop and blurted out "Have you got any left? " and the guy behind the counter just gave me a funny look

"iPhones ?" I said , gesturing to the cardboard cut out hanging around his neck

" Oh ! , yeah , loads of them " he said - do you want to have a look..."

"No , I'll just take one thanks" I replied , which seemed to catch him by surprise "

In and out in about two minutes

I get the impression the launch wasn't the mad rush they were expecting
Now , I am not sure if I am missing some strange artistic statement here - but I was expecting to see demo iPhones on aluminium and glass display podiums or something similar. What I saw in the o2 shop , was two large screens with iPhone screen videos playing demonstrating the features (good) - and in the middle or the room (absolutely no exxageration or theatrical licence I promise you ) - a sort of bench , made out of rough cut 4" x 2" timber nailed together , with about 10 iPhones on docks around the edge - :confused:
I initially thought this was some kind of makeshift bench ,knocked up in a hurry by o2 staff to get them out of a problem - but as I walked past CPW I noticed they had the same set up !

As for the unboxing -- um , in all the excitiment I forgot to take photos :o I'll reconstruct the unboxing and take some ! (sorry!)

I have gone the "legit" route - setting up the contract via itunes was absolutely amazing - so simple & quick ! far more pleasant than standing around in the shop for what always seems to be hours !

Will report back with photos :)

@NickyColman
10th November 2007, 12:53 PM
I noticed the same Miffed, in my local O2 store they just had a massive bench, that looked like it was set up for a buffet, with a O2 blue sheet across it with the iCal icon with 9th Nov on it. There was a series of leaflets but not quite the display and fanfare i expected !!

You enjoying the phone so far? Sorry, sorry ! iPhone!

miffed
10th November 2007, 01:28 PM
loving it mate ! :D

Hands0n
10th November 2007, 04:02 PM
Good on yer mate - but I'm worried you'll be bored rigid before the 18 months is out. That it is a formidable device with a superb HCI (UI) is without doubt. But the lack of 3G and th measly 200 mins and 200 texts for £35pcm does the propostion in for me. Quite obviously for lots of other people too. The lack of queues outside well-stocked shops is an echo of the Sony PS3 launch where people stayed away in their droves.

The Register has a few comments from people who've done like me for now .... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/09/iphone_roundup/comments/

Right - thats enough raining on Miffed's parade - get that camera out geezer, and give us the spiel on how you're finding the handset and network.

miffed
10th November 2007, 04:54 PM
Phones4U currently offer:

FREE Nokia N95 8GB Black
£50 Auto Cashback
750 minutes a month
250 texts a month
Unlimited Landline Minutes
Unlimited mobile internet
FREE Delivery

£45/Month X18 = Total £809.50 after £50 Cashback

i-phone = £269.00 + 18 X £35 = Total £899.00

Looks like a lot more airtime and a lot better spec handset for a lower price.

I'll sort your Jaffa Cakes out :o

TBH I looked on Vodafones site (I thought it was still exclusive ! ) and what I said worked out by their standards

But I stand corrected !

Hands0n
10th November 2007, 05:50 PM
I sincerely hope that you are doing all of this Talk3G'ing via your new Dog and Bone :D