View Full Version : LG KU990 "Viewty" unboxing

3g-g
9th November 2007, 11:02 PM
Ok, Ok, so I think unboxing is incredibly geeky, however, I absolutely love opening up the boxes on new toys, and this was no exception. Handsets, particularly the top of the range ones are going to town on their packaging, and LG have made no exception for the KU990. Here's what I snapped with my Sony Ericsson w880i.

First of all the box, hard black cardboard in construction an unsecured lid lifts to reveal a second layer, with a pop-up handset between the outer box and the second layer. On the top of the thinner second layer are specs of the LG; 5.0Mpx camera with auto and manual focus, ISO800 capability with playback at 120fps with DivX capability and inbuilt image stabilizing.

Under again reveals the handset, covered with a hard plastic case and with each of the surfaces covered in protective sticky plastic covers. I noticed immediately that no accessories are left on their own to move about the box, each one, the charger, headset, USB cable and manual each have their own little black cardboard box. It all looks very nice indeed, in fact, the most cared for mobile phone handset packaging I've ever seen!

I've just started playing and we've got through our first proper charge, so I'll get some feedback and pictures from the 5Mpix beastie on here soon!

Hands0n
10th November 2007, 12:28 AM
Nice unboxing mate :) I'll be very interested to know how the new LG works and how you get on with their version of the touchscreen HCI (UI). I checked out the Prada and it left quite a bit to be desired. Then I got hold of the iPod Touch and found out what a touchscreen HCI is all about (well done Apple).

But I read that the Viewty has got it done quite a bit better. You'll not be alone on the forum. 3GSU has gone and bagged himself one from 3 - well he will have when they deliver.

Looking forward to the 5Mpxl pix.

3g-g
10th November 2007, 12:46 AM
Just as a teaser, here's a pic on the 3Mpix mode, I was trying to save memory prior to the addition of a 2Gb Micro SD card so we're not even touching the realms of the higher quality. This was a macro shot, 3Mpix on fine shoot mode.

Anyway, it's just a close up of my bottle of beer as I sat watching the TV. I think you'll agree it's a lovely clear crisp shot of something so close. Once I'm out and about proper I'll get some comparable images between the LG and my SE perhaps.

:)

Ben
10th November 2007, 01:10 AM
Damn, if that's not an iPhone box then I don't know what is! Thanks for the pictures, 3g-g!

Hands0n
10th November 2007, 09:22 AM
Just as a teaser, here's a pic on the 3Mpix mode,.......

Does the Viewty sport RAW (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml) image mode?

The only problem I have with all of these 5Mpixel camera phones is that they do not have a RAW shooting mode. All of them compress to JPEG (JPG) which is a lossy compression, thus robbing the picture of the full capability of the imaging chip. Contrast that with most high-quality digital cameras which do have RAW mode.

The difference is that in RAW you get the full benefit (as much as can be) of the imaging chip's resolution, the lens quality plays a factor in this too. Thus with a RAW image you are more able to make quality enlargements and manipulate the image. Whereas with JPEG the lossy compression means that image enlargements (typically used when cropping) start to lose their integrity fairly quickly.

It does not take very long in the developments of these camera phones for the imaging chip to exceed the quality capabilities of JPEG - not a challenge when the chips were 1 or 2 Mpixel.

3g-g
10th November 2007, 04:10 PM
Damn, if that's not an iPhone box then I don't know what is! Thanks for the pictures, 3g-g!

I completely agree, it's very iPhone-esq! However, they really are pushing it more as a camera more than anything else, which is what made me buy it. I can text, call, video-call, be a HSDPA modem, play MP3 and send email too, don't get me wrong, but when you open the box you could be fooled for thinking it's a camera.

3g-g
10th November 2007, 04:11 PM
Does the Viewty sport RAW (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/u-raw-files.shtml) image mode?

I'm not sure, I don't think so, but I've not really had the chance to play with the camera properly yet. I'll get back to you! :)

Ben
12th November 2007, 01:05 AM
How are you getting along with the interface? I'm guessing it wouldn't feel too mature, because at the end of the day it isn't, but is it intuitive? Have LG managed to build on the Prada?

miffed
12th November 2007, 08:52 AM
Definately looks like a winner

The thing that has struck me about the iPhone, is how reliable and accurate the touchscreen is , I have used touchscreen devices since the XDA - and the problem with them (even right up to the ameo I currently use) - is that the buttons don't work 100% of the time - OK they work *most* of the time , but I certainly wouldn't bet my life on them doing what they are supposed to !
Whereas the Iphone seems 100% accurate in this respect - I note that the Prada was pretty good too

How does the Viewty fare in this respect ? I notice that is has hard call begin / end buttons , which is also a good thing , sometimes my Ameo won't recognise the "call end" screen button , and there is nothing you can do about it !!

gorilla
12th November 2007, 09:40 AM
and the problem with them (even right up to the ameo I currently use) - is that the buttons don't work 100% of the time - OK they work *most* of the time , but I certainly wouldn't bet my life on them doing what they are supposed to !

That sounds like my N95. Predictive text is, well not quite predictable :D and when I compare that to the keypad (that's what mobiles used to have before touch screens;) ) on the E65, which is fantastic, I feel really let down by the N95.

Ben
12th November 2007, 10:31 AM
That sounds like my N95. Predictive text is, well not quite predictable :D and when I compare that to the keypad (that's what mobiles used to have before touch screens;) ) on the E65, which is fantastic, I feel really let down by the N95.
Despite my comments about predictive I've started using it on my N95 8GB after the discussion on here about the problems with the old N95. I'm (very) pleased to say I haven't had a single problem with it, though I hate to admit that, yes, I probably am slightly quicker on the predictive than the old fashioned way :p

So yes, I think failing to recognise button presses in predictive is yet another thing that has been fixed in the N95 8GB :D

Hands0n
12th November 2007, 10:36 AM
That keypress problem only surfaced in V12 firmware for the N95. V11 firmware was fine - Nokia broke it! :(

3g-g
12th November 2007, 10:47 AM
Right,

I've had a couple of days playing with the LG, and I have to say I really am enjoying it. Like miffed, my only real touch screen experience prior to this was in the form of Windows mobile devices, which weren't particularly touchy!

I can't comment on the Prada, but I have played with the iPhone so I can make some slight comparison to that.

The UI is very slick, no lag and extremely simple, which is what makes it very usable. From the main screen you have 4 touch options at the bottom of the screen, the main menu, SMS, keypad for dialing and your contacts. The SMS, dialing and contacts are self explanatory so I'll mention the main menu option. Pressing it makes the 4 buttons zip off the bottom of the screen and the main menu zips in from the left, once in there you only have 4 screens to choose from for all the handset settings, so you're completely unable to get lost within a maze of options and sub options. There's always a back button in the bottom right of the screen should you wish to navigate back to where you've came. I'm finding it pretty intuitive, everything is where you'd expect it to be, there aren't any surprise hiding places for that one option you've been searching for while pulling your hair out! One other thing Orange have done, which I think is quite helpful but I'm not really using is, a shortcut icon to Bluetooth, the photo album, and a few other things you might want to find quickly, but I'd rather use the main menu thanks! As I've said, pressing any one of the buttons on the screen nips into the next option below nice and smoothly. Don't get me wrong, this isn't OS X, but I am rather impressed!

One of the things I do like over the iPhone (as they're being compared in every blog/magazine/review) is the SMS function. LG haven't plumped for a full QWERTY layout, instead they just display a normal handset keyboard layout as I'm used to. It works perfectly, T9 seems to recognise a lot of the words I've had to make other handsets learn and LG have added a nice wee touch with tactile feedback, so, when you press a key the handset vibrates ever so slightly giving you the feeling of something being pressed. I think it's a superb little addition as I can imagine it'd take a number of people a good while to get used to no feedback from a touch screen.

The handset itself is quite petite, a lot smaller and lighter than a N95 considering the same quality of camera, but I accept there's a lot more you can do with the N95 than this! I feel the handset itself is probably quite fragile, I'm sure it'd survive a drop, but not many! I may have to invest in some sort of protective cover me thinks!

Once we've been playing for a few days I'll get some more thoughts about battery life and some pictures from the camera up.

G

Hands0n
12th November 2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the writeup G. Can I ask a question about the robustness of the LG? I have a Prada which is now, thankfully, back in its box awaiting my deciding what to actually do with it (eBay is an option). The thing I most noticed was how very fragile the handset's surfaces were.

It is legend already on the Prada forums that the leather case LG supplies is quite capable of inducing scratches on the front and back of the handset. Mine has done that with little use, vertical lines that can only have been made by the edges of the folded-in leather! FFS, how can any handset be made so scratchable that even soft leather will score it?

So, have things improved with the Viewty? Or is it, like the Prada before it, as soft a material as the inner side of a maidens thigh?

3g-g
12th November 2007, 06:43 PM
Well, there's no supplied cover, so perhaps that's an indication of a more robust screen. It did come with one of those sticky plastic LCD covers in the box, I've not put it on as I'm not keen on them, I think they look crap TBH! It spent all weekend in my pocket, at a party and generally moving about and all seems ok, no marks as yet... but it is that soft plastic screen, similar to a PDA. I'm sure it would be much better in a glass form as Apple seem to have figured out. Ask me again in a few weeks and we'll see how it's bearing up!