View Full Version : data calls

3g-g
31st March 2005, 02:57 PM
Just out of interest I wondered how data on the move would perform, the other day I got to try it.

Joining the M61 at Manchester the other day I started my 3g connection to my laptop, we moved onto the M62 then the M6 north to Scotland... Not once, and this is no word of a lie, did the connection fail. It handed into 2g GPRS and a few times into 3g as cells came and went, and it wasn't as though we were plodding along at slow speeds, this was a good 80mph all the way, I was impressed!

I was able to surf the net, log onto MSN, get my work email, the lot! If I could just have UMTS coverage all the way up and down the M6/M74 eh? :cool:

Ben
31st March 2005, 03:07 PM
I've been able to repeat your experiences on the motorways and main roads around the South East. The only hiccups I had was when I approached Canterbury, but there are still coverage issues here due to the very old buildings etc - planning permission must be a nightmare.

It's amazing how the connection can remain through so many switches. Using my iPAQ hooked up to my Z1010 works like a dream when I'm a passenger. Broadband (mixed with narrowband) speeds online while doing motorway speeds on the road really is a massive acheivement. The scary thought is that once Wi-MAX/HSDPA become commonplace we're going to have broadband Internet access almost everywhere!