View Full Version : Asus Eee PC laptop 4GB

gorilla
12th November 2007, 08:56 PM
Taken from the Sunday Times (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article2842607.ece) 11/11/07:

Ultra-portable laptops are usually pricy so many people opt for a cut-down device for web browsing or e-mail such as the Nokia N810. However, this extraordinary Asus machine is a fully fledged laptop that weighs 2lb and will barely dent your wallet. The low price is due to a modest processor and limited memory but that did not hold back its performance as it is supplied with the Linux operating system, which requires far less capacity and processing power than Windows (the maker claims it will run either). Don’t worry about unfamiliarity of Linux. The Eee PC was easy to operate and comes with the excellent Firefox browser and OpenOffice for handling office documents. There is no hard drive. Instead, it has 4GB of built-in flash memory and you can add more via an SD card or a USB pen drive. The Asus has built-in wi-fi and a 3G Sim-card adaptor costs another £35. In tests this rugged laptop proved responsive for everyday tasks and the battery lasted around 3hr. The 7in screen and keypad are both decent, albeit cramped for serious editing. That said, this low-cost product blows the market wide open.

And another review here: Reg Hardware (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/06/06/asus_shows_wee_eee_pc/)

This seems to be a decent gadget for those looking to surf while watching the tele or send the odd email. For about £200 (http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=271708&source=3) quid as well as far as I can tell. OK, it's not a proper laptop, but it will meet most peoples requirements and you can even slap in your 3g sim to make it truly mobile. Add on an external USB hard drive and bobs your uncle! Ok with the extra's it's more like £300, but still!
Could this be a good christmas present for somebody?

3g-g
12th November 2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I saw this on eBuyer this evening, £219 or so, looks pretty cool!

Ideal for students I'd of thought, no doubt it'll drop to an even cheaper price in the next few weeks... I could be tempted!

Ben
12th November 2007, 10:59 PM
An interesting device to be sure. I'd certainly like to play with one, if only to get a better idea of who might actually find such a device useful.

hecatae
13th November 2007, 07:54 AM
the most expensive version has removable RAM, you can upgrade it to 1GB, and some rumours suggest you could replace the 4GB SSD with a 32GB SSD

3g-g
13th November 2007, 08:30 AM
I'd like to consider buying the wife one, but I just don't know how she'd cope with Linux and Open Office, it was a strain enough getting over to Mac... and even that was on the proviso that I bought MS Office for it!

If it could just have XP on it...

gorilla
13th November 2007, 09:33 AM
It's supposed to be able to run windows. Whether you'd want to is another matter, given the specs.
I'm looking at it as more of an internet tablet, something to use in the kitchen when you're waiting on dinner etc.

miffed
13th November 2007, 11:20 AM
Hmm , Much as I like the concept , I think the price is just too close to that of a standard laptop ( I remember seeing a Fujistu siemens for £239 in PC world last year ? )
If it had been a tad cheaper (£180) then I reckon it would do better - but I'd like to see one in the flesh , the combo a tiny form factor and being able to put a 3G sim in it may just tip things for me !

chaslam
13th November 2007, 05:35 PM
In PCW we have a Packard Bell in for xmas. Got a 7" screen, runs windows XP Home (Our only XP machine we sell now) and it has a webcam, 30GB HDD, 1GB RAM, and its designed to be used holding it in 2 hands.

Only thing is its a little more expensive: http://www.pcworld.co.uk:80/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0969378937.119497505 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeaddmhikkfgmcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=622061&category_oid=-27757

(picture and more specs here: http://www.packardbell.co.uk/products/notebooks/easynote-xs/easynote-xs20-006---coming-soon/productsheet-PC02F00501-1256.html)

Its interesting. I spent about 10 mins playing with one when it was quiet the other day, and the only down thing about it is the screen is just to small and the resolution isnt the greatest, but it has a DVI out, so if you have another screen it would be a great little thing to just put on the side and use. Also has bluetooth and wifi built in, so you can use your home network and all your bluetooth things like mice and keyboard. Worth taking a look at if your interesting in an ultra-portable.

3g-g
16th November 2007, 01:17 PM
Could this be the ultimate laptop?!?!

This guy has erased Linux and managed to get Leopard running on it... then realised it wasn't that good, so has opted for Tiger!

I can feel my wallet twitching already! ;)

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/11/16/man_installs_osx_on_eee_pc/

An enterprising Eee PC user has managed to install Apple's Mac OS X 10.5, aka Leopard, onto his tiny laptop - though he quickly saw the error of his ways and replaced the OS with the previous version, Tiger.

The Mullet of G
17th November 2007, 10:47 AM
Running OS X on anything other than Apple hardware has its draw backs, I've had Leopard running on my PC for weeks and its little more than a play thing due to lack of drivers etc, Tiger had much better driver support but still felt like a half finished project, getting everything working was fun but actually using it as an OS was a dull experience.

The Asus Eee PC seems like a good thing at first glance, upon closer inspection however its just a small laptop with poor specification, with laptop prices tumbling its hard to see why anyone would pay £200 for a small form factor laptop with a 900Mhz Celeron and 4gig of HD space, it wouldn't be so bad if it boasted great battery life but it isn't really any better than a full size laptop.

Ben
17th November 2007, 11:19 AM
Indeed, better battery life and a larger display and I'd be there. Fortunately there's a version with a bigger screen on the way (hopefully it will replace those ugly speaker grills in the screen) though I doubt it'll do much for battery life. Gotta love that there's 3G in there.

As for an OS X ultraportable, well, I don't think I'd go down the Eee PC route for the reasons Mullet outlines. An Apple is hardware+software. One or the other isn't that impressive, IMHO. If you're going to have Apple then you have to go the whole hog. Fortunately there is, once again, increased chatter about a smaller MacBook Pro. If it comes to pass I think I'd find it hard not to buy one...

The Eee PC and similar 'super crappy' spec machines are of quite limited use. Where the Eee PC wins over the Packard Bell etc is that it's intended as an appliance. It's not intended as something you modify and install your own stuff on - everything needed for carrying out its intended tasks is already there - and as it's Linux it's actually going to run on such minimal hardware without being unbearable.

miffed
30th November 2007, 03:27 PM
Well ...
... On my way to work today , I noticed they had these in stock at a little computer shop in my town ...... And I have the day off work tomorrow

...I expect you can see where this is leading :D

I have to say the device looks better in the flesh - the pictures really don't do it justice !
I will pick mine up as soon as the shop opens in the morning - and report back with photos

miffed
2nd December 2007, 09:23 AM
Wow ! , what a pleasant little toy this is !

First thing I did was put 2gb of RAM in it & Installed XP - went smoothly , worked great ! but then I ran windows update and it neary killed it ! - iit started whining that there was no memory left - Now , I don't know a lot about how computers / memory work - but I am pretty good at junior school maths -
...so , how does an XP installation (1.3gb) + 90mb in programs and some other bits and pieces = 4GB ? where did my other 2GB odd go ? -
Well if windows is going to mess around like this they can forget it ! so I reverted to the default Linux - which is pretty good tbh !
This is REALLY easy to get on with - and ideal for anyone who is wants to use a computer but doesn;t have a clue how
My wife loves it , and has threatened to steal it from me !!

Will get some pics up in a bit

Ben
2nd December 2007, 12:30 PM
Oo good stuff! Has this one got 3G? I'm not sure if they're available yet/easy to get hold of as I don't think it's standard.

miffed
3rd December 2007, 06:21 PM
No 3G , although I am considering getting Three's PAYG modem for this device
ATM I am using my Ameo as a wifi access point ( the ommision of bluetooth is a little baffling ) - and it works amazingly ! a nice strong steady connection -
I have had a little flirt with XP ,and a briefer flirt with OS X , but by far the best option was to hack (very easily) my way out of the easy interface and open up the full linux desktop - which looks a bit like XP
This is very nippy , and along with the HSDPA connection , you feel like you are using a 'proper' computer , despite the tiny size (and price for that matter)
Will definately get around to putting the pics up soon , been a bit preoccupied lately:D

hecatae
4th December 2007, 10:38 PM
Toys R Us have stock of these.

Left xandros on the one I've got, enabled full desktop mode, it's got firefox and thunderbird already installed.

if you install xp you have to remove the paging file, as it's a solid state disk that is soldered into the unit.

a paging file, like a swap file will dramatically reduce the life of the SSD.

hecatae
4th February 2008, 09:52 PM
I've managed to get windows 2000 professional on the lil e pc.

Runs really fast, and as win2k support does not expire til 2010 it's ideal.