View Full Version : EDGE coverage

miffed
15th November 2007, 08:06 AM
After hearing figures of 30% coverage , I gave up on the idea of seeing EDGE coverage on my iPhone anywhere outsiide of major cities
...So imagine my surprise while in a little town in Kent (Herne Bay) - I noticed the little 'E' symbol appear
Unfortunately , was not in a position to be able to test it out properly but I got to watch a youtube video & ran a DSL reports speed test
The first thing I noted , was that the "youtube" video you watch over WIFI is NOT the same quality you get over EDGE - watching the Videos on wifi , TBH they look BETTER on the iPhone than the home computer ! - but over EDGE they are of VERY poor quality - which is a shame

The speedtest showed a measly 89kbps :( better than GPRS but hardly worth it IMO - the only thing I will say is after I did the test the E symbol dissappeared , so I don't know if I was on the edge of the coverage

A bit disappointing , - but TBH I had never really expected much from EDGE and don't intend to use it unless I have to

But I am wondering about this EDGE coverage , When o2 said 30% , was it a case of "Underpromise , Overdeliver" ?

3g-g
15th November 2007, 09:36 AM
Was the 30% to be geographical or population coverage?

30% geographical would be a fair-ish chunk, but if it's population it's pathetic!

gorilla
15th November 2007, 10:06 AM
We learned all about edge in my history class at school. Fascinating how mobile networks used to operate :D

Ben
15th November 2007, 10:07 AM
I don't think I've ever heard a network talk in geographical terms, so I think we can assume the latter. That is unless Christmas has come early! ;)

Grats on your 89kbps, miffed!

miffed
15th November 2007, 10:58 AM
Grats on your 89kbps, miffed!

LOL , pathetic isn't it ? :D Really is hardly worth the bother IMO

Thank the lord for HSDPA !

solo12002
15th November 2007, 06:40 PM
" Thank the lord for HSDPA ! "

But not on o2 lol:p

Hands0n
15th November 2007, 07:06 PM
" Thank the lord for HSDPA ! "

But not on o2 lol:p

Certainly not! They cannot even manage regular 3G. Definitely a network example of Brewers Droop :p

@Miffed - 'ave yer found any Cloud to play with yet? Wossit like?

solo12002
15th November 2007, 08:35 PM
@Miffed - 'ave yer found any Cloud to play with yet? Wossit like

best thing about buying iphone in winter, loads of clouds about ! lol