View Full Version : HSPDA is faster 3G - in theory (but where are the phones?)

Jon3G
3rd May 2005, 09:27 PM
By Guy Kewney, Newswireless.net
Published Monday 2nd May 2005 10:42 GMT
Smoke and mirrors are often cheaper than masts and cables; and the mobile carriers have found something that may keep their investors happy in high-speed downlink packet access or HSDPA. It makes 3G run faster, just by installing equipment in the server... but not this year, says Informa

The hype machine is in full swing for HSDPA, and only last week Novatel Wireless announced embedded wireless cards for laptops, using HSDPA. "The Expedite EU730 and Expedite EU740 are designed for easy integration into multiple laptop platforms and other mobile devices to provide wireless high-speed broadband access on HSDPA networks at speeds up to 1.8 Mbps," it said.

The reality is that these products won't be shipping any time soon; and phones will come even later.

"HSDPA will only become a reality in the mass market in 2006, due to the late arrival of enabled handsets," says the latest in Informa Telcoms & Media’s "Insight Report" series.

The report, "HSDPA Status Update" warns that "Many operators have already declared their intentions to launch HSDPA, a faster version of 3G (WCDMA) before the end of the year - but these launches are set to be confined to datacard users in 2005, with a lack of enabled handsets ruling out a launch to the mass market until mid-2006, at the earliest."

The sad story is strangely familiar: "After having to repeatedly delay the full commercial launch of their WCDMA networks in 2003 and 2004 due to a shortage of handsets, these same operators are going to endure an exact repeat of the situation when it comes to HSDPA,’ said John Everington, Senior Research Analyst at Informa.

The industry is talking a big fight for HSDPA - it has to. Shareholders in both networks and in handset companies, are counting on success in 3G soon; and HSDPA is a good excuse - for the time being. Informa isn't much impressed:

"Despite early predictions from Samsung, LG and NEC of handsets becoming available from the end of 2005, HSDPA-enabled handsets are only likely to appear commercially in large volumes from mid-2006 onwards, forcing operators to limit their launches to datacard users in the initial stages," Everington said.

Ironically, it looks as if the US will see earlier HSDPA, because the mobile data market there already has pretty good coverage from CDMA 2000 and EV-DO standards, and operator Cingular Wireless "is set to become the first major operator to launch HSDPA on its network in late 2005," claims Everington.

This comes after NTT DoCoMo announced several delays to its deployment plans, with the Japanese operator now forecast to launch HSDPA in the second half of 2006.

In Europe, O2 has already announce that it is committed to HSDPA, and has been pre-empting the decision by buying base stations which require only a software update to start running it. It has reported stellar performance on downloads during its Isle of Man trials which began earlier this year.

Informa Telcoms & Media’s HSDPA Status Update covers:

A summary of the advantages and capabilities of HSDPA technology
A detailed analysis of the different business cases being adopted by operators looking to roll out HSDPA, including case studies on Cingular, NTT DoCoMo, and O2
A vendor-by-vendor analysis of the HSDPA infrastructure market
A review of developments and challenges in the HSDPA handset market.
© NewsWireless.Net

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/02/hspda_market_forecasts/

getti
3rd May 2005, 11:09 PM
Both O2 and Orange have been testing HSPDA. Expect to see some phones by xmas

Jon3G
4th May 2005, 09:45 PM
THe speeds are just going to get very fast and will soon be competing with Home services. It will just be a matter of price compared to home ISP's.

I would def, get a Mobile 3G connection and bin my home ISP if it was fast enough and the price was right

Constantine
5th May 2005, 12:04 AM
I couldn't agree more.

However, there is a major obstacle. The short-sighted managers of the mobile networks. With the current pricing and the walled garden policy, there is no point in looking forward to new technologies. What's the point of having an ultra fast connection when you can not use it? Three's walled garden policy is at times just infuriating. As for the other four networks, their prices make mobile internet prohibitively expensive for the average user.

Friendly, Kostas.

Jon3G
5th May 2005, 10:05 AM
Well hopefully that will change when the networks realise that mobile workers would prefer a decent connection and may bin their home connection if the price was right

Ben
5th May 2005, 12:13 PM
I think things are certainly going to get faster before they get cheaper.

The usage just isn't going to come at the current prices though, as Kostas points out, so in the end sacrifices will have to be made to encourage uptake. Everything is going to have to be simplified ten times over at that, especially when it comes to using a handset as a modem, but improvements are also needed to applications like Agile Messenger to ensure they are practical to run on the handset 24x7 for messaging.

I'm not sure why everyone is whinging about HSDPA not coming into full force until 2006... everyone's claiming the second half of 2005 as the year of 3G, do we really need to go five times faster quite so soon? By all means roll out HSDPA upgrades, but don't rush products out to use it when consumers are only just getting to grips with being able to spend a few quid a second over 3G!

Innovations like EDGE would be a much better way of increasing data takeup in the short term - compatible handsets are being used by you and me right now!

Jon3G
5th May 2005, 07:56 PM
yes, I would use EDGE if it was available. But that again all depends on the price and yes I do agree its going to take a bit longer for people to get to grips with the new technolgys

3GScottishUser
5th May 2005, 10:28 PM
God help us if we have to rely on NEC to assist with the uptake of HSDPA devices.

Their form is'nt that great in terms of 3G ..... (606/808/313/616 etc etc)

This might be another development that is worth watching for a few months until some decent kit from respected manufacturers becomes available.