View Full Version : Keypad or Touchscreen?

Hands0n
18th November 2007, 12:52 AM
LG were first out of the stalls with its Prada, and now has the 3G Viewty on offer. Apple soon followed up with the iPhone. Nokia are about to release their touchscreen handset and, it seems that, the other manufacturers will follow suit in due course. Why is this? Perhaps in response to the iPhone's very unique approach, who knows for sure. But we are due to be inundated with all manner of interpretations of the new paradigm.

So my question to you all is a simple one. Keypad or Touchscreen? You choose, but do tell us why also.

3g-g
18th November 2007, 01:07 AM
Touchscreen for me, I think Apple have it topped at the moment by making theirs glass, however I'm finding the LG one very easy to use and particularly accurate and simple. No buttons means less to break through wear and tear and also more options for different functions displayed with a different graphic depending on what you're doing with the handset. Touchscreen, it's the future I tell you. Just like garlic bread.

miffed
18th November 2007, 08:03 AM
I love touchscreen devices , As you all probably know I am a big fan of WM devices -
BUT - I realise their flaws , and TBH I have never had a lot of confidence in a TOTAL touchscreen enviroment , I'd always want a hard "End Call" & "Volume" button - as you can pretty much rely on the touchscreen versions of these buttons to let you down from time to time
The first device that I felt I could trust totally was the Prada - (which has a "button support" too ) - and this appeared to be a turning point , with "hard" , accurate , usable touchscreens starting to become the norm rather than the exception
I find the iPhones touchscreen so good that I almost forget it is a touchscreen and almost think of the buttons as real !

So I vote touchscreen , but as long as they are implemented properly

Ben
18th November 2007, 12:32 PM
For now it's keypad for me, purely for texting. Touchscreen is definitely the way to go, particularly as Apple continue to perfect their impressive implementation.

Hands0n
18th November 2007, 02:02 PM
I love the HCI (UI) in the Apple iPod Touch and iPhone. My own personal jury is out at the moment. I realise some of the shortcomings of the touchscreen paradigm. They echo most every single touchscreen design ever implemented in any technology. It works, but can be clunky at times. So can this particular paradigm be carried off in a mobile phone handset? Time alone will tell - and maybe 2007/8 is the time for it to come to find its place.

But I also have a long experience and affinity with keyboards and keypads that provide some tactile feedback, to know that the [correct] key has been pressed.

It may be harder to convince buyers in my age demographic, the kids may take touchscreen on more readily. This will be an interesting time to watch.

bsrjl1
18th November 2007, 08:39 PM
Picked up a Vario 3 yesterday, which has the best of both worlds. Keyboard seems much better than that on the V2. You can do most things with the touch, then for serious typing pull out the keyboard & tap away.