View Full Version : 3G iPhone is coming!

3g-g
19th November 2007, 04:43 PM
In May 2008! So don't get too excited, there's a wee while to wait yet.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/19/3g_iphone/

It comes as no surprise that Apple is working on a 3G version of its handset, and May 2008 sounds like a reasonable time frame for such a device to be launched - barring technical problems. The real question is how the addition of 3G will impact the price and battery life.

6 months for a 3G iPhone, I know I'll be tempted... only if it's unbelievably well specd, 'till then I'll sit tight. One thing from that article I noticed was the percentage of revenue Apple are looking for from the operators. Is the iPhone such a seller that it's worthwhile for the operators to hand that much cash over? Surely that's not sustainable for Apple to keep looking for that much of a cut? If I was a network operator I think I'd be telling Apple where to shove it!

Ben
19th November 2007, 05:14 PM
If the iPhone can turn a load of talkers and texters into a load of browsers, emailers and music downloaders then 30% will be somewhat of a bargain ;)

Assuming the new iPhone has HSDPA I think that'll be enough for me to buy one next year. Not on O2, though. Lol, no chance. Not without a massive 3G rollout.

getti
19th November 2007, 06:33 PM
If it comes out over here and u can get WITHOUT O2 then i will get one for sure

Hands0n
19th November 2007, 08:05 PM
YEa, I said all that about O2 too .... but the handset got me regardless :o

A 3G iPhone will be something to hold and behold - but O2's 3G network is more of a notwork from my direct experience and that of others that I have spoken with. Maybe there is enough time after they've finished rolling out EDGE for them to dig a bit deeper into the coffers and put out the 3G network that they never got around to finishing. Don't go by their coverage maps, they are pure works of fiction - I'd say illegal even!

But I think Ben has hit the nail on the head rather accurately. I'm wondering if there is a share-back for O2 out of sales on iTunes. Nothing is said, but only O2 and Apple will know the finer detail in the contract. There must be something in it for O2 otherwise why bother? If they truly bought into the contract with Apple because they thought the iPhone would turn their fortunes around - with that Apple rake of the take - they'd have had to have been on some very illegal drugs at the time.

3g-g
19th November 2007, 08:42 PM
When a 3G iPhone hits the shops it'll do so in France, where it's illegal for the operators to lock handsets... so, a quick nip to Paris on the Eurostar come May 2008 could mean returning with an officially unlocked iPhone courtesy of the French! Vive le France! :)

whatleydude
20th November 2007, 12:49 AM
Brilliant.

Up there with other great 'Headline News' such as:

"SUN SCHEDULED TO RISE FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!"

and

"BEAR FOUND DEFACATING IN WOODED AREA"

Ahem.

;)

miffed
20th November 2007, 11:25 AM
That suits me fine !

6 months is about right for me - I'll be due a new handset then :D

Wonder how it will work ? Officially or unofficially ?

Would I be able to buy the new iPhone , put my old iPhone sim straight in (although I feel that would be pointless on o2 , as they aren't very good at 3G )
or .... if the above is not allowed officially , would I unoffially be able to activate by "under the counter" means and use my old iPhone sim without unlocking ?

Will have to wait and see I suppose !

gorilla
20th November 2007, 11:48 AM
Oh the cynicism that's rife amongst you lot. :D

Do O2 subsidise the iphone like they do with (probably) every other handset? If not then, they are getting a significant return on a premium tariff. Lets not forget that this tariff is not good value. Forget about cloud and all you can eat data. Talk and text is limited on the iphone tariff, and the cloud deal, will be a worth only a few quid a month to them (from each user). O2 must be increasing their margins here.

On another point, yes the iphone will evolve. This is not a surprise or a rumour, but fact. Time will tell when it finally hits our pockets, err the street, but as sure as the sun rises, there will be another iphone, or two or three before 2009.

How many ipods have we had since 2001?

What's surprising still is the O2 deal. Yes O2 are a good gsm network, so the current iphone sits well there, but do O2 get a 3g version? Surely Apple will know that a 3g iphone on O2 will bomb and that would damage Apples reputation.

I would have thought Vodafone would be the ideal place for a 3g iphone, their customers are well used to getting ripped off:D

Hands0n
20th November 2007, 07:09 PM
..... and he calls us cynical :D