View Full Version : Get MMS on your iPhone

Hands0n
23rd November 2007, 10:04 PM
It is a lot of sodding around. Someone sends you an MMS, you get a text message from O2 telling you to go to a weblink. Okay, it works, but it is a lot of messing around with links, phone numbers and passwords.

Inevitably someone has come up with a neat solution - it looks like us iPhone users will have to get used to WebApps - and a rather neat MMS viewer is here at http://www.iapps.co.uk

A single click from a stored bookmark will take you to all your received MMS. Not sure how long it keeps them for, but I've got a few over the past few days and there they are. :)

miffed
24th November 2007, 08:23 AM
I remember reading a response from Apple , where they say somthing along the lines of "All the problems raised so far can be sorted with a software update" - While I doubt that means a 3G radio will get switched on ;) , I suspect that MMS could be easily catered for
I have read a couple of workarounds - sending MMS to a number specific email address is one that looked interesting , but I it doesn't look like it works on o2 at least , not sure whether that applies to all UK networks , The theory is if you send an email to [email protected] (or whatever) that it will be received as an MMS on said number
I think the iPhone's omission of MMS is based on the fact that it is so EASY to email from your iPhone , which would be great if all your mates had iphones too !
I think expecting the world to change from MMS to mobile email is a little ambitious though !

Hands0n
24th November 2007, 08:59 AM
yes it is completely presumptuous of Apple. I think they got out what they could in the time they had. That they pulled resource from Leopard development is telling. But what they have delivered is as short on requirement as it is exciting. What we have is a first-generation product that needs more work. I only hope that Apple do the right thing by all of us 2,000,000 early adopters worldwide. To do otherwise would be a betrayal.

That said, it is a rather excellent tool given its shortcomings. The Dev community will do for the iPhone what they have done for Symbian next year when the Dev kit is released. The iPhone is where Symbian was in its first year of life. We need to be mindful of that in my opinion.

Edit:

I have read a couple of workarounds - sending MMS to a number specific email address is one that looked interesting , but I it doesn't look like it works on o2 at least , not sure whether that applies to all UK networks , The theory is if you send an email to [email protected] (or whatever) that it will be received as an MMS on said number

From what I can find out from T-Mobile, this is a timed facility. If you receive an MMS link that you follow up you can then respond to it within 24 hours. Appended to the link is a serial number that authenticates the reply. Without this you cannot unsolicited send to a mobile with that eMail address form. It may have worked in the past but it doesn't now.

rossmck
25th November 2007, 02:07 PM
Inevitably someone has come up with a neat solution - it looks like us iPhone users will have to get used to WebApps - and a rather neat MMS viewer is here at http://www.iapps.co.uk

A single click from a stored bookmark will take you to all your received MMS. Not sure how long it keeps them for, but I've got a few over the past few days and there they are. :)

It's not iapps.co.uk that stores them, it's O2, and they're kept for 30 days from date of sending apparantly... none of mine have disappeared yet though :)

There's also now a link which lets you eMail the MMS to your iPhone, letting you keep it for longer that way :)

Hands0n
25th November 2007, 02:22 PM
Hi Rossmck - welcome to Talk3G, and thanks for your efforts with iapps.co.uk. I'm sure it'll become very popular as the word spreads. It certainly made retrieving MMS to my iPhone completely trivial.

floppy
14th March 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi All...

I'm on o2 (monthly contract) using the iPhone (but not the iPhone tariff).

I have installed SwirlyMMS and managed to send but it fails to receive the 'fetch' MMS texts... ok, so i know this is a known issue... My question in this thread is how can i receive them? I have looked at the iapps.co.uk link but the problem is this... i never get a text telling me i have received a MMS (so i cant use the iapps link.

Is there a reason why i wouldnt get this text from o2?

I've plugged my sim into a different phone to get the 'waiting' texts which SwirlyMMS tells me are waiting to be fetched but the other phoen doesnt detect them...

How can i get o2 to send me the 'u have a MMS waiting' text which includes a PIN???
\\

Any help appreciated.

Floppy