View Full Version : Apple Airport trouble !

miffed
4th December 2007, 12:46 PM
As mentioned in another thread , I had some problems with my Sky router - I solved the problems with a software update (from t'internet ) - which seemed to work well , but it also has highlighted another problem
You see . I thought that the Windows devices not connecting was causing the whole network to collapse - but now the XP devices are connecting OK (thanks to the update) ...My macs are still dropping their connections ever few minutes
I was in denial about this ,what with macs being rock solid and problem free , but yesterday I did an experiment by switching off all but one of my devices at a time - all of them clung to the network flawlessly - except the iMac , and then the macbook - which dropped it every few minutes , then would only reconnect if I switched airport off , then on again - it would then reconnect for a couple of pages , then drop again
A quick search on the net suggests lost of people are suffering from similar probs , but no solutions exist at present :confused:

.... Just a hunch , but I bet no one else is having such problems , and most of you lot probably get Steve Jobs turning up on your doorstep with a bunch of flowers everytime you switch Airport on ? ;):D

Ben
4th December 2007, 01:04 PM
:D

I do actually get Airport dropouts at home with my (evil) wireless router. The Mac mini stays on for several hours before dropping the connection, as does the MacBook Pro.

When the connection drops the airport icon goes from black lines to grey lines. I click it, select my WLAN again, and everything springs back to life.

It only happens with the (evil) wireless router. Other WAP's haven't caused the problem.

So, yeah, maybe you've got some sort of compatibility issue going on. Best ideas at a solution are:
1) Try a different WiFi channel on the router
2) Try different WiFi encryption on the router (WPA2 > WPA > WEP)
3) Ditch the router and get a new one :p

miffed
4th December 2007, 03:39 PM
Best ideas at a solution are:
1) Try a different WiFi channel on the router
2) Try different WiFi encryption on the router (WPA2 > WPA > WEP)
3) Ditch the router and get a new one :p

All tried , all the same result - I honestly thought a new router would solve it :mad:
going to reinstall tiger tomorrow :eek:

Ben
4th December 2007, 04:49 PM
You didn't have the problem with Tiger? Also, you have a new router? Or just new firmware?

miffed
4th December 2007, 05:25 PM
yes , no problem before Leopard - or at least not to this degree . the connection would drop (to all devices ) occasionally - but not specifically to the macs and nothing else

So admittedly there were router issues -but I think these were solved with flash of the router - the other devices seem to stay connected 100% of the time now , the macs seemed better for a couple of days , but have got progressively worse
My final resolve was to buy a new router, this arrived this morning ( by which point I had pretty much ruled out the existing router being faulty) but I set it up anyway , and sure enough - it didn't change a thing !

So yes , no real prblems with Tiger , new router , and new firmware on the old router !

Ben
4th December 2007, 05:54 PM
That sucks! :(

Wires, baby, yeah!

miffed
4th December 2007, 06:21 PM
yeah , maybe wires .... wires or tiger ? .... I am secretly clinging to the hope that maybe a clean install of leopard may help , but I am doubtful

I am trying to get my mate to bring his MBP around - just to settle my mind on this , but he is working pretty much 24 / 7 at the moment

Hands0n
4th December 2007, 07:13 PM
.... Just a hunch , but I bet no one else is having such problems , and most of you lot probably get Steve Jobs turning up on your doorstep with a bunch of flowers everytime you switch Airport on ? ;):D

Errr, on this occasion I have shared your experience. It drove me to the brink of insanity - I nearly went to PC World to buy a Netgear or Linksys!!

The Apple forums are buzzing about this - it is maddening to be sure. I found a clue in one of the more obscure forums - and that was to downgrade the Firmware in the AEBS to 7.2 or lower. The current version is 7.2.1 - see the attachments.

You can use the "Upgrade Firmware" button to downgrade to 7.2. I do not know where to get lower versions (if you find out please let me know). But 7.2 is so much more stable than 7.2.1 - in fact since downgrading I have not had a single instance of lock up or reset on the AEBS.

Be aware, every time you load up the Airport Utility.app you will be prompted to upgrade to 7.2.1 - DONT :D

Piccies below... Let me know how you get on.

Edit: Oh bugger, I just realised, you are on a Sky router and not an AEBS :( Ignore all of this post which I am leaving here for posterity :)