View Full Version : 3G in France with a Nokia 6630

Denis_mynse
4th May 2005, 08:02 PM
Hello,
I am french ("personne n'est parfait" as we say in french).
Last week I have subscribed to a Vodafone/SFR 3G offer (3 hours for 49 Euros .. very expensive in France) with a Nokia 6630 handset.
My first impressions are very good, especially on video quality for TV.
I am not a "usual" Nokia user (I prefer Siemens) but the 6630 is easy to use and the "look and feel" is correct.
Because we don't have a new entrant in France (like "3" on the UK market), 3G is only at its early stages but after a short week of testing I think that TV and video could be real killer applications (much more than MMS).

What are your felling on TV over 3G

Thanks, Denis.

3g-g
4th May 2005, 08:20 PM
Denis! Bonjour et bienvenue à Talk3G, il est bon de vous de nous joindre!

Nous vous espérons bâton autour et continuons à s'ajouter à notre communauté internationale jamais croissante.

It's good to see that others within Europe are begining to take up 3G technology, I had read previously that the UK was running ahead of everyone with take up, however it hasn't been a rush for the new technology, just the cheap calls and handsets.

The UK take on 3G is slowly begining to take shape, I don't think any of the operators here are quite sure what to do with the technology other than get ringtones to us quicker. Video calling doesn't seem to be the killer ap and the UMTS networks still seem limited by their GSM counterparts, perhaps this is a deliberate move on the operators behalf. It's a shame that your SFR deal is so expensive, you would of thought that the operators would like a quick/high volume take up of their services, making it expensive is sure to limit this.

As far as TV on your mobile is concerned I just can't see why people will pay to watch things on such a small screen, it's a good idea in theory, but not one I think will work. The networks here have enough trouble trying to persuade users to download video at £2.50 (4 euros) for a 60second clip.

What type of content to SFR offer via their WAP portals? Do they have any incentives to make you want to use the technology, or do you just see the handset being used mainly for voice calls?

It's good of you to join us, we hope you stick around :)

G.