View Full Version : New iPod Firmware out today (5th Gen)

Hands0n
4th December 2007, 09:51 PM
New firmware 1.2.3 is out - skipping 1.2.2 which apparently had a bug in it entitled "Songs and other content do not appear after updating to software version 1.2.2"

BEWARE though - some people are reporting that 1.2.2 has broken the ability to play bought AAC music from iTunes. Apparently it only plays a few seconds and then skips to the next track. What on earth are Apple up to? That crown seems to be slipping a bit!! :eek:

It is working okay on my 5Gen 80GB iPod so this may be limited.

The pundits will be having a field day at Apple's expense on the forums this week. They [Apple] cannot afford to get the iPod wrong, not even for a few days!

Mind how you go ;)

miffed
5th December 2007, 07:42 AM
What on earth are Apple up to? That crown seems to be slipping a bit!! :eek:

I am thinking the same about a number of things lately TBH

My relationship with Apple is barely 2 years old - I was blown away by the first Shuffle (my first apple product ) - the simplicity and sound quality really blew me away , "it just works" was the perfect slogan for why I became quckly drawn to the product line

One 5th Gen Video , one iMac , one macbook , one Touch & one iPhone later-
I am having problems with Leopard , I am having problems with the new Keyboard not being recognised on boot up , the guy I sold my Touch to is constantly nagging about the sound quality (a point I agree with - courtesy of the EU I am led to believe ! )
Not that Apple products are THAT bad , or indeed "bad" at all - Maybe it is just my honeymoon period is over & the spark has gone ? , but it seems that buying an Apple product now , is now different from buying a product from anyone else in terms of 'issues' you are likely to encounter
Again , not the end of the world - but a shame to be moving away from things "just working"

Ben
5th December 2007, 09:31 AM
I think to a certain extent the rules of early adoption apply.

If you go to any Apple forum, noteably even looking at posts from before the switch to Intel, there's a golden rule: NEVER buy 1st gen!

I used to think such posts were just blind generalisations, but I've come to take them as fact. It's one of the reasons I don't have an iPod touch, an iPhone or Leopard for that matter, and I actually waited for the third incarnation of the current MBP before buying.

The first MB's 'mooed' and had various other issues, the first MP's with the ATI card had overheating issues, early MBP's were plagued with screen issues and crackly audio outputs, and the new iMac's with the ATI card have again experienced some form of overheating/freezing issue that has only just been resolved. Then there's Leopard, which became 10.5.1 in the blink of an eye and has a few updates to go yet before it's Tiger-esque IMHO. I think it was the third or fourth gen iPod that actually captured the worlds imagination.

I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for Apple, but if you want it all to 'just work' then take off your early adopter hat and let the tech mature a little first :p

Hands0n
5th December 2007, 08:10 PM
I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for Apple, but if you want it all to 'just work' then take off your early adopter hat and let the tech mature a little first :p

Blimey Ben! You're wasting your breath there :D ;) I think our Miffed has got the Early Adopter bug worse than even any of us on here :D His gaff must be an Aladdin's Cave of IT stuff. Mine is bad enough.

But really - I have not shared Miffed's experience with the new/early IT. My iPod Touch is superb - lovin it. It does have a weak maximum volume courtesy of EU regulations. But the paradox is that the iPhone does not - it is ear-meltingly loud!! Gave me quite a shock when I tried it the other day. I think they've not modified it for EU regulations yet.

Leopard has been a resounding success on both the MBP and the Mac Mini. I have not yet put it on the Mac Pro - that can wait for when I have more time. I also have been using iLife 08 and iWork 08 - both of those are working well too.

So from an Early Adopters point of view, I share Ben's concerns, and one has to go into these things open eyed and prepared for the worst. But I do think that the experience is completely the opposite of Miffed's and also of a lot of those on the Apple forums. For the life of me I cannot even begin to suggest why that would be. Apart from the fact that I do not use any OS accelerators or suchlike, and bear in mind that I performed an OS Upgrade, by all accounts I should have had a poor experience.

But thinking about the iPod 5th Gen upgrade of the 85GB - going from 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 and introducing bugginess is just not on. This iPod is not new, it isn't the Classic, Apple have simply broken the firmware in some manner. They were better than this - and need to get back into the game, and quickly too.