View Full Version : Do you MP3?

gorilla
6th December 2007, 07:30 PM
A look back at the year (https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?p=25145#post25145) thread got me thinking about my own mobile habits.

I find myself using my N95 as my main digital music player, either listening to podcasts, albums, internet radio or plain old FM.

Having read this (https://talk3g.co.uk/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=93) article regarding bit rates

As the graph shows, most people could not tell the difference between 128kbps and 256kbps MP3 files: only 5% could.
This made me ponder what people who listen to music mainly on their mobiles, do?
I myself encode at a high bit rate, usually 256 or 320 using itunes, into MP3. I know I could do better, but memory is so cheap, I'm not arsed about file sizes.
I have very few files encoded in aac, and those that are, were created in itunes. I've not used nokia's music manger to encode files (any good?) and am pretty lazy :D

I also use pretty good ear phones (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-E2C-N-In-Ear-Headphones-Black/dp/B000E5GKW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1196969239&sr=1-2), which makes the whole experience that little bit better.

I suppose I should mention that I listen to trance, hardcore, general pop/rock and audio programming.

So, what do you guys do?

Hands0n
6th December 2007, 09:35 PM
I almost never use my handset/s for Music playing (a pair of N95s). Although they could probably do a good job, my concern is battery life on that device - its not good at the best of times.

So, for me, I use one of my iPods - although I do find that the battery life on the iPhone is strong enough to use it for a day's music and phone use - I'm never on it all of the time!

I'm with you on quality - I encode for 256kbps generally - although as the article says, a lot of people can't tell the difference with lower rates. The typical earphones are barely adequate anyway.

Ben
7th December 2007, 11:14 AM
The only handset I used as an MP3 player was the W900i. Not for more than a couple of months, though.

An iPod is just soooo much better.

I encode at 192kbps MP3 as I can't tell the difference between that and higher rates on MP3 players. I use Sennheiser in-ear headphones, they certainly kick the middle out of anything that ships with an iPod/Nokia.

gorilla
7th December 2007, 12:02 PM
I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I charge my phone everyday, regardless of usage and find the music capabilities of the N95 comparable to the ipod. The only downside is storage and battery life.

Ben
7th December 2007, 01:36 PM
I don't think you can beat the navigation/controls on the iPod. It's so quick and easy to get around a large collection of music and find what you want to listen to. Plus the iTunes software is just such a joy to use.

gorilla
7th December 2007, 09:24 PM
I've two ipods and love them. I like itunes as well.

BUT

I keep one ipod in the car (the 4g 40GB with my entire music collection!) and the other I use sparingly (2gb nano). What I love about the N95 is the fact it's always there. Convergence, yes, but as I listen to lots of podcasts, its just the shear ease of taking it out, updating the podcasts and listening. If I do the same on the ipods, its turn pc on, connect ipod, let it sync, unplug, then listen.

So its convenience for me. The 4g ipod has great music output, far superior to the nano and the N95, but it's a beast in comparison.

I also think the N95 is pretty easy to navigate. Sure you don't have the click wheel, but hey it's not that bad.

On a secondary thought, did anyone have a sony phone (before SE) that had the click wheel on the side? They were brilliant and I've never understood why they died out. Literally one touch access to everything, from sms to sound clips.

Did apple steal that idea?:p

Hands0n
7th December 2007, 09:28 PM
I have not found anything easier to administer my media collection (music, podcasts and mobile video) than iTunes and the iPods. Even Nokia's PC Suite pales by comparison.

Did apple steal that idea?

No, it didn't :)

gorilla
7th December 2007, 09:39 PM
Are you sure?

Ok, ipods are good.

BUT, if like me you only have a small memory card in your phone (2GB) I'm less likely to change the music on my phone regularly, hence its my current favourites on there. So, itunes to manage my music collection and the phone to listen to the current favourites.

If I'm at all honest, music is not that important to me, hence the small collection!

Since I got a pure bug a while back, I've fallen for good 'ole radio, which has lead me onto podcasts and even audiobooks...and it's hard to get them at decent quality.

So, does anyone use pay-for-downloads over their 3g connection? I download the odd track from 3, just becasue I get a £5 per month download included in my tariff.
Or do people buy CD's, purchase itunes or 'ahem' use other methods?

Hands0n
7th December 2007, 10:02 PM
Or do people buy CD's, purchase itunes or 'ahem' use other methods?

I am sure that I have absolutely no idea what you mean ;)

I run 6GB SD in my main N95 - it is quite hard to fill up - I intended it to hold my photo and video stuff. I think its got 12hours video capacity :D

I tend to buy my CDs and encode them into iTunes as soon as I get home. The CD then gets stashed in the loft with the others, ne'er to see the light of day again :D I also make use of iTunes free tracks that come out occasionally - there are some good indies out there, although much is not to my taste.

I podcast quite a bit myself - but all taken from iTunes. I quite like the Mac Pro podcast, and the BBCs Digital World poddy.

I have not used pay-for-downloads from anywhere - I think it is all a bit overpriced. The only thing I have been taking over the air has been podcasts via iTunes on the iPhone - a dead loss using EDGE, not that it works anyway.

Ben
8th December 2007, 12:24 AM
I had a Sony (J5? I dunno) with the scroll wheel on the side. Yes, I agree, it was fantastic. Unfortunately it was attached to a pile of...

Hands0n
8th December 2007, 01:27 AM
Didn't Blackberry take on the Scrollwheel - it certainly was on their earlier models.