View Full Version : Need to know which phone to buy - UK - France

steve9025
11th December 2007, 04:40 AM
An American is visiting me. I want to send her a mobile (probably 2G PAYG? Maybe 3G PAYG?) which she can use when she gets here (UK) to contact me. Ideally, she'll also be able to use it in France when we're on holiday.

It would be really great if she could also use it in the US, but by no means necessary. It needs to have I'd guess about £25-50 of credit on it already. Can you find me one on eBay? :D

Hands0n
11th December 2007, 06:44 AM
You haven't said how much you want to spend.

For here and France you probably won't do much better than T-Mobile for PAYG rates (2G or 3G are the same). International Roaming charges are capped now by EU regulation and so much cheaper than earlier in the year.

As for handset - if it is simply for calls you can get them for as cheap as £11 a pop these days (the Nokia 1100 iirc). Some are even free if there is sufficient credit applied at purchase.

I sounds like you need a throwaway solution so look to the bottom of the range for cheapness.

Ben
11th December 2007, 10:56 AM
If you want a phone that will work back in the USA then try asking in Phones4U and Carphone Warehouse. If you explain the situation they will probably be able to find you a PAYG handset that comes with a SIM card and, therefore, a nice subsidy, but is unlocked. Just make sure it supports the bands you need.

Otherwise definitely grab an ubercheap Nokia on one of the GSM networks (Orange, Vodafone, T-Mobile, O2).