View Full Version : Getting a Mac to let go of a disc

miffed
12th December 2007, 03:00 PM
Following my recent troubles , I decide to try a clean install of Leopard before returning to Tiger
The installation appeared to be going well , then it failed - telling me my install media was damaged (so what was the point of verifying it then ? just wasting my time eh ? )
OK , so give me the disc back then you pile of white perpex coated -overpriced -laptop on a stand !! , but of course it won't - because the retards at Apple only had to make their keyboard compatible with a handful of devices , but they couldn't even manage that - ergo the eject key doesn't work on boot up , nor do any key combinations that may help to eject it

Anyone got any ideas ? - before I try it with an axe ?

The Mullet of G
12th December 2007, 04:29 PM
Not sure if this will be of any use, but on PC drives there is a small hole in the front bezel, if you stick a pin into the hole it will manually eject the drive tray, I expect Apple will have something fairly similar if not the same.

Hands0n
12th December 2007, 07:50 PM
I know this may be a silly question but ... have you tried holding the disk eject button on the keyboard for several seconds?

miffed
12th December 2007, 10:18 PM
I know this may be a silly question but ... have you tried holding the disk eject button on the keyboard for several seconds?

Yep , It is all down to Apple's silly idea with the new keyboards - Fortunately I managed to get hold of an old one this evening and have ejected my disc !

miffed
12th December 2007, 10:30 PM
...Just finished my clean leopard install , and it won't connect to the wireless network AT ALL !! ...So starting to wonder if it is a harware problem on the iMac ? - Currently installing Tiger to put my mind at rest :)

Hands0n
12th December 2007, 10:58 PM
Yep , It is all down to Apple's silly idea with the new keyboards

Eh? I don't get it!! What have Apple done with the new keyboards Isn't there an Eject button on them? How weird is that then .... how are you supposed to Eject?

miffed
12th December 2007, 11:08 PM
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1079899&tstart=0

Seems the keyboards are not recognised on boot up

Ben's works fine though ;)

miffed
12th December 2007, 11:11 PM
Ah , thats interesting !

Been running Tiger for about 5 minutes - connected instantly - no drop outs at all (yet)
How bizzare !

Hands0n
12th December 2007, 11:32 PM
Hmmm, you're cursed :D I have Leopard on two machines, one cabled one 802.11n and they are both 100% Weird or what? It feels strange coming back to Tiger on the Mac Pro.

miffed
13th December 2007, 08:30 AM
Hmmm, you're cursed :D I have Leopard on two machines, one cabled one 802.11n and they are both 100% Weird or what? It feels strange coming back to Tiger on the Mac Pro.

I agree totally ! I think I am cursed !!

Here it my timeline -

1) Use Tiger on iMac & Macbook - Absolutely no problems of a wireless nature (to speak of)

2) Install Leopard on Macbook , start getting the odd drop out - put it down to the router

3) Install Leopard on Imac - continuous drop outs on both macs - Try new firmware for existing router & new router - seems to have solved some of the more lengthy dropouts - but these ones appeared to affect ALL devices (Wii , iPhone etc)

4) Fresh install of Leopard on iMac - would not connect to Wireless network AT ALL !!

5) Install Tiger on iMac - Hey presto ! all working 100% , no drop outs on the iMac or the Macbook , which is still running Turkey , sorry , Leopard

.. This suggests to me , that the problems lie in the compatibility between Leopard and the iMac , I was starting to think it was hardware related when the second leopard install would not work at all , but I think the fact that it all works 100% under Tiger suggest that it IS a software problem
I am going to put Leopard on my little shelf , and try it again in 6 months time !

miffed
13th December 2007, 01:05 PM
:D

Just finished loading Tiger up with all my apps , files etc

Cannot fault it so far -

I am one happy Tiger user now !

Ben
13th December 2007, 04:38 PM
We're going to have to start keeping you in the dark about the latest and greatest products and services, you know!

It's good that Tiger's working again... totally sucks that Leopard didn't play nicely. I'm totally not touching Leopard for another few months either - while I'm 99% certain that there's a much better chance of it working for me than it did for you (LoL!) I'm more than happy to wait for it to mature given that Tiger is such an awesome OS!

At least it's not like the XP-Vista situation... I'm sure most Windows users would love to upgrade away from (ancient) XP, I know I did a few years back when I was coming to the end of my tether.

miffed
13th December 2007, 06:40 PM
I know damn well Leopard will work for you ! (and everyone else on here!) ..... I am cursed :(

The funny thing is , as you say , Tiger is still a great OS , and I feel no sadnesss in having to go back to it - I am even consdiring putting it back on the Macbook too - although strangely , since putting Tiger on the iMac it has behaved itself nicely
A brief look around the net suggest a couple of thing

1) that unresolved wireless issues with leopard are VERY common & still unacknowledged / unresolved by Apple

and (very worryingly!)

2) Apple also introduced the same problems to Tiger in 10.4.10 !!
...and there are no reports that 10.4.11 solved them :eek:

....If it happens .. I promise I am going to cry ! (again :p )

chagle
13th December 2007, 10:07 PM
..... I've been running Leopard from day one and loving it! :-) My Tiger CDs are coasters now..! :D