View Full Version : iPhone Competition - What is it & Where is it?

Hands0n
17th December 2007, 11:52 PM
Right then. It seems forever that we have had iPhone fever. Now that the device is here there is mixed opinion and much said about the device. For sure, what Apple have done is redefine the UI for the Smartphone. But what of the competition?

Some we know have responded already. LG with the Prada and now the excellent 3G/HSDPA Viewty are out of the stocks. Others, like Samsung and Nokia, have promises and pre-production models to show off, but not yet in the high street. And so it is reasonable to expect that 2008 will be the year of "Touch". Or will it?

The analysts are quite bearish about the new paradigm. They do not seem to have much confidence that this is what the public want. But are they right? After all, what do they really know about the likes and wants of you and I? To me, they are like film critics - I have yet to read a review that I have subsequently agreed with having seen the film. Perhaps it is just me, but I do not think so.

As I pondered on these thoughts I got to wondering what you all think? Are you the Touchy-Feely type :D Is the touchscreen UI where you want to be? Or are you quite happy with losing half of the front panel to mechanical buttons, or have a handset that slides open to almost double its original size?

Also, what do you know of the new touchscreen devices on their way to us? All seem to be 3G - some with HSDPA. What about WiFi? Share your info with us here. Help those that are spurning the iPhone find out what the alternatives are today and anticipated for early 2008.

What would you like Santa to pop into your stocking this year? :)

gorilla
18th December 2007, 08:37 AM
Well I wont be buying the current version of the iphone. I'm lead to believe that the next gen iphone will be out in 2008 i.e. 3g / masses of storage etc, but it could be dec 08, so not any time soon. (from one of the podcasts on twit.tv)

As for touch, well I can see the benefits - bigger screen ease of use etc, but I'm not convinced on the typing capabilities. I'm sure it's just something to get used to.

The bigger screen is important, but battery life needs to be improved.

Ben
18th December 2007, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty much where gorilla is.

I'm not convinced that tapping on a screen will ever make an efficient way of typing, but for all other manipulation the iPhone/iPod touch is a dream.

2008 should make for an exciting year, whether or not it's the 2nd gen iPhone that comes out on top.

miffed
18th December 2007, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty much where gorilla is.

I'm not convinced that tapping on a screen will ever make an efficient way of typing, but for all other manipulation the iPhone/iPod touch is a dream.

I don't know , I initially felt the same , although I was happy to make do - but I think the "Auto correction / suggestion " feature of the iPhone is something that really does improve the more you use the iPhone ,and it seems far more advanced than anything I have used on a phone or any other device - the first few weeks I found it annoying and a bit of a hinderance , but after a few weeks , not only do you get used to cancelling suggestions , but it quickly seems to learn your unusual words etc
I can type on the Iphone as fast as I can on any other full keyboard device now , and certainly faster than any T9 / numeric keyboard device
I think it is one of those things you have to get used to though