View Full Version : LG KU 990 Viewty

3GScottishUser
18th December 2007, 09:36 AM
I have had mine about 2 weeks now and it's an amazing handset. I have seen versions of it now on 3, Vodafone and Orange and on each it looks quite different!

The 3 version which I have is pretty well laid out and all the data sevices have now been integrated into the easy to navigate hotkeys on the touchscreen. With a 1GB Internet browing facility at just £5 a month it's no surprise that 3 have taken the option to make sites outwith their Planet 3 a much more significant offering when browsing.

The Vodafone version also has integrated links and the one I used had the £7.50 Internet add-on in place. Vodafone Live! is the start point and they have chosen to place emphisis on value added services like their new unlimited music offering etc.

Orange's Viewty seems to be less dedicated to Internet use. It has Orange World available and links to Orange Photo and TV but sadly those are not a great deal when you have to shell out £1 per MB to use them!

I am still exploring after 2 weeks and am blown away with the imaging facilities on board. The camera is crisp and clear and detail is amazing. Video is simply stunning and everyone who sees it gasps when the playback is shown. I have made a couple of videocalls and those display well on the handset too as the screen switches to landscape mode to fit both images in comfortably.

Texters are well catered for and I like the idea of the paperclip to convert an SMS to an MMS by simply adding an attachment. This makes the phone more like a PC and those used to e-mail protocols will find sending more than texts a breeze. The handwriting recognition is good but I suspect it's novelty valve really. The QWERTY keyboard is great for texts with the stylus and for me faster than T9 when sending SMS.

I have dabbled with some other services on the Viewty. Skype works quite well and other applications are quick and easy to load and install. There appears to be a good selection of Java games available and many can be downloaded free from the Internet. The phone browser is one of the best I have used and Mini Opera once loaded can deliver good results when viewing on the small screen. I have tried Windows Live Messenger but it's fiddly and whilst useful I suspect it's more of a point of sale gimmick than a truly useful application due to the keyboard limitations. Yahoo Messenger has yet to be released for the Viewty.

I have installed a 2GB micro SD card and have loaded some music which was easy using the Micro SD card adaptor. The only annoying things about using the Viewty as a music player are the low volume output to the headphones and the headphone adaptor it'self. I hate the long cable with the big block of plastic to plug your mini jack phones into. A small corless adaptor would have been much neater.

Overall the Viewty is a handsome and capable handset and a worthy alternative to both the i-phone and the Nokia N95. It seems to lack very little in terms of functions apart from Wi-Fi access but this is becoming less important when networks provide reasonable cost access via 3G/HSDPA.

Hands0n
18th December 2007, 09:47 PM
Has has your adjustment to LG's UI been? Is it intuitive or quirky like its predecessor, the Prada.

Does the Viewty do eMail natively? Or is it webmail or nothing?

stevelfc1
24th February 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew how to adjust the time it takes the phone to go onto locked mode when not in use.

Maybe its becasue im still getting used to it and taking a bit longer doing things but it keeps locking too soon and is particulary annoying during a phone call where you need to use the key pad to select options! :mad:

Is there a function so I can only manually administer the lock button?

Other than that Im find the phone is great, PC software is easy enough to use although a little slow. I find I only really need the pen when using the internet, otherwise it is a great touch screen phone and camera in one.

Thanks

Trix
30th March 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi All

Got an LG Viewty on Wed and abolutley loving at. All the feats that you want are there, and its so self explanatory and easy to use :)

But, I have stumbled accross a problem, and not sure if its just me, or a general thing. I brought a mini sd on Fri so that I could store a good few hundered mp3 tracks on the phone, but once Id transfered the files from the laptop to the phone, most had lost their album/artist/track info, and went straigh into the 'unknown' file on the phone. Would make finding the one song you want to listen to, like finding a needle in a haystack.

I eventually gave in and read the phone manual and help section on the PC suite, which said you can only edit the track info while it is in the 'pc main library' part of the music manager, before it is tranfered to the phone.

So I opened the pc suite music manager again, looked in the main library, and all of my tracks had full album/artist/track info on every file. But as soon as I transfered them, and veiwed what was on the phone, everyone had changed to 'info unknown'

Its driving me mad

Is it just me, or is there really no way to organise your mp3's on this phone.

Anyway one who has used the music manager, you opinion would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Vicky

3g-g
31st March 2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Vicky,

I've not used the music manager or the PC suite with my Viewty, but I have transferred a few songs over to it via Bluetooth, just with file exchange. Everything I've sent over displays the full track info when being played back with the media player.

My experience with a few handset media players when sending music to the handset, and using the software they've supplied has usually been met with dire consequences. Have you tried attaching the phone to the PC, waiting till it finds it via USB, exploring the handset using the computer and just dumping all the songs you want onto the handset's memory card, just as if you were copying files within your PC to say a disk? I've found that's worked for me in the past, you don't lose any info from the tracks and everything is on the memory card for you to select as you want.

Let us know how you get on.