View Full Version : N95 struggles to find itself (GPS locator removed from Nokia Maps in new firmware)

Ben
20th December 2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/20/nokia_firmware/

The Register are reporting that the latest N95 firmware actually removes the ability to use Nokia Maps to find where you're currently located. The feature has now become 'premium', meaning you have to pay for it.

The latest firmware for the Nokia N95 offers many new features and much better memory management, and is free to download - but it also takes away the tracking feature from Nokia Maps, which the company now claims was a limited-time promotional offer.

The ability to track your current position is a fairly basic function of GPS software, a "you are here" indicator which updates as you move; such a feature used to be present on the free Nokia Maps application. But after upgrading the firmware that feature has vanished, and those contacting Nokia to complain are being told that they'll have to upgrade to the premium version of the application to re-enable the feature.
Click here to find out more!

Since Nokia started allowing customers to upgrade handset firmware themselves the facility has generally been welcomed, fixing numerous bugs and rewarding early adopters with greater stability and new features. However, the process also gives Nokia the opportunity to remove features which were previously free.

There are, of course, plenty of alternative GPS software packages available for the N95, but the idea that Nokia can change things without warning has got some users worried about what feature they might decide to make "premium" next.

Upgrading firmware on a Nokia is always a tortuous process. Installing version 2 on our N95 here in the office resulted in a third of the installed applications disappearing, another third remaining but unable to run, and only the remaining third unaffected. Still, this is a distinct improvement on last time, when several applications required new activation keys.

Nokia would like users to look at their mobile phone as a desktop-equivalent, but even Microsoft would balk at removing without warning a feature through Windows Update, and then offering that same feature as a product. There may not be many users complaining about the removal of tracking from Nokia Maps - it's a little-used feature - but the concept of features being removed without warning is something that should worry every smartphone user.
What the hell are Nokia playing at? That's absolutely ridiculous! They can't just take away features that were on the phone when you bought it, surely?

FWIW, the N95 8GB can locate itself on Nokia's maps software.

gorilla
20th December 2007, 12:01 PM
Especially when google have a similar service on google maps.

Nokia should give more stuff away for free on their "premium" handsets. If they gave customers full access to nokia maps, many people would have a real alternative to their exisiting GPS systems and they would probably attract more customers. As it is, how much revenue can they generate from this service?

miffed
20th December 2007, 01:26 PM
LOL @ Nokia maps :D

Tried it , hated it , went back to Tomtom after a week !

I think the whole thing is simply a novely so Nokia can say "look ! this phone has GPS " - but as far as being usable ? My experience was that it couldn't be farther from it !

Hands0n
20th December 2007, 07:43 PM
Nokia maps? Google maps? Give me the latter any day. If I simply have to use maps on my mobile then Google it is - and accurate enough too.

Sorry Nokia, in the face of competition, way to go ......... not! A classic case of misreading the market utterly.

Ben
20th December 2007, 09:38 PM
Can Google Maps use the phones GPS to get a location, though? I don't think the version on my N95 8GB can, but then I think I heard maybe the feature is available in the new beta? :S

The only saving grace of Nokia Maps on my N95 8GB is precisely the feature they just cut from the N95!

Hands0n
21st December 2007, 01:02 AM
Can Google Maps use the phones GPS to get a location, though? I don't think the version on my N95 8GB can, but then I think I heard maybe the feature is available in the new beta? :S

Yes, I used it not so long ago while mobile. Once Google Maps is loaded press the "0" button and it will use the N95's GPS to get a fix on where you are and display it. Also you can use it to plot a route and it will display on the screen as well as follow your progress. It works very well. Not quite Tom Tom on a larger screen, but great if you've nothing else. No voice prompts though.

See the attachments - these were both taken a few minutes ago using the GPS to spot my location as above.