View Full Version : Intel Delaying Quad-Core Penryn Launch

Ben
20th December 2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/cpu-memory/news/2007/12/20/Intel-Delaying-Quad-Core-Penryn-Launch/p1

I apologise to those of you sick of the apparent constant raining on AMD's parade which has gone on recently, but this news could well sound like yet another dig at Intel's nemesis - that's just the way the cookie crumbles right now. The news to which I refer comes, via DigiTimes and from several motherboard manufacturers and indicated that Intel will not be launching new Penryn chips on the 20th of January as previously expected but will now be delayed until there is more competition from AMD.

The CPUs in question are the 2.5GHz Q9300, 2.66GHz Q9450 and 2.83GHz Q9550 which you might guess sit just above the current quad-core chip of choice the 65nm 2.4GHz Q6600. Considering that chip beats anything AMD currently has to offer and the next chip up, the Q6700 is almost double the price, it would be counter-productive for Intel to release a new range of faster and almost certainly cheaper processors until the competition can actually complete.

AMD's current plans indicate that higher end models of the quad-core Phenom range and tri-core variants should be available late into Q3 next year, so Intel will doubtless arrange its low-end 45nm launch to coincide. While this may well help Intel's bottom line, it's less of a good move for consumers who have put off buying systems to wait for the new Penryns to arrive as they will now have to wait that much longer.
I'm sorry, but in the words of Kyle's mom, "What what WHAT!"

Sure, a strong, competitive AMD is what everybody wants given Intel's already overbearing market share, but if this news about delaying new parts until there's some competition is true then it's bad bad baad.

AMD's recent demise is no fault of Intel's. It's not Intel's job to make sure it doesn't beat AMD into too much of a pulp. It's Intel's job to keep pushing the envelope, and to keep advancing the computer.

What we've got at the moment, then, is the opposite of competition. Negative competition. What's the point in that?

Personally I hope this is just misguided speculation.... but who knows.

Hands0n
20th December 2007, 07:41 PM
I believe that someone somewhere will say that this is "market forces". I agree, is entirely pooey.