View Full Version : TV on your mobile - sooner than you thought

3GScottishUser
5th May 2005, 10:55 AM
from Tech Digest (05/05/2004):

O2, along with Nokia and NTL, might be trialling digital TV for mobile phones in Oxfordshire this summer, but there are whispers that it might not be the first network to offer TV via a mobile. Orange, which has a TV via 3G service in France with viewers able to see up to 20 channels, is rumoured to be considering a summer launch for the service in the UK, while Vodafone, which offers analogue TV via mobiles in Japan is mulling over an Autumn launch. For more info check out this excellent feature by Richard Wray in today's Guardian which outlines where the networks are with TV over 3G.

http://www.techdigest.tv/2005/05/orange_and_voda.html

@NickyColman
5th May 2005, 01:00 PM
That would be a great feature to have on your handset! Many, i beleive, would appreciate it! It wouldnt be my prefered choice but if i was out of the house and away from a tv it would be a great asset to have!

What does everyone else think? Good? Bad?

Ben
5th May 2005, 03:33 PM
I'd totally use it, even in my house! In bed I'd so rather sit in totally random positions with my mobile than sit up and watch TV. As has been said, the proximity to a mobile screen means that, in comparison to how far away you sit from a normal TV, it's the perfect viewing size for even prolonged viewing. + I could take it anywhere and never miss the programmes I love. Kick ass :D

@NickyColman
5th May 2005, 05:16 PM
I could imagine mobile Tv becoming particularly popular with fans of shows like Big Brother and other reality shows...along with live sport and music concerts!

Hopefully, broadcasters wont feel the need to include adverts and so forth as that would just ruin the experience!

Jon3G
5th May 2005, 08:02 PM
I would not mind having it, However the bandwidth would cost alot

3GScottishUser
5th May 2005, 10:23 PM
I suspect the bandwidth issue might have to be solved and made reasonable in terms of price with WiMax technology threatning the UMTS franchise. Networks are going to have to provide more for less to compete with alternatives that have more bandwidth and less regulation.

Setting aside the temporary phoney telco war (where a 5th mobile network entrant is struggling to aquire customers in a saturated market) the consumer looks set to be the big winner in the next couple of years.

Jon3G
6th May 2005, 12:37 PM
I cant agree more, just imagine the bandwidth that would be used. The orange 1000MB would be used very quickly