View Full Version : Man uses mobe as modem, rings up £27k phone bill

Hands0n
28th December 2007, 07:03 AM
This is a simply ridiculous tale of woe. If it is at all possible for such things to happen then Vodafone (and all of the other operators) must be immediately legislated to provide a very distinct and unmistakable financial health warning. OFCOM should intervene and the bill should be written off by Vodafone. Shame on them for even attempting to bill a private individual such a huge amount.

Now, one could argue in Vodafone's defence that the Customer should have read the Ts & Cs. That if he was intelligent to use the handset as a modem in the first place that he should have had the savvy to read the contract properly. And I might indeed sympathise with that view, but don't in this instance. That is because of the sheer scale of the charges. It is indefensible of Vodafone to say that their systems only picked it up after a considerable charge had already been incurred. If they are going to make such ridiculous and punitive charges then their systems should be capable of tracking overuse and be capable of warning the Customer. Not drive someone into bankruptcy as a punitive gesture and warning to others.

What really galls me about this entire story is Vodafone's comment "Few customers exceed the fair usage. But it seems clear Ian has run up these charges legitimately,".

Many of us here would not be caught out - but we should consider ourselves the fortunate and well-experienced ones. The mass population will not have much of an inkling of the background to this story, that the mobile operators typically charge stupendous amounts for using their networks for data. In this respect Vodafone is a capital offender second only to Orange and [perhaps] O2.

Shame on Vodafone unless they deal with this humanely. But I firmly believe that it is well beyond time for the mobops to be legislated against as clearly they cannot and will not do this voluntarily. Not while they see data as a cash cow.

Ian Simpson, a factory worker from Darlington, Yorkshire downloaded TV programmes onto his laptop using his mobile phone as a modem - and racked up charges of £27,322 in just one month. He says he may go bankrupt unless Vodafone "takes a sensible approach" to his bill.

Simpson thought he had an all-you can eat deal for unlimited web use and "probably" downloaded 20-30 TV shows and four albums. But his £41.50 per month contract maxed out at 120 megabytes of downloads per month, enough for most users, Vodafone says. "Few customers exceed the fair usage. But it seems clear Ian has run up these charges legitimately," a spokesman told The Mirror.

So Simpson was on the wrong package and cannot be accused of acting intelligently in this matter. But his phone bill illustrates the outrageous expense of mobile data - downloads were priced at up to £18 per minute.

Warning bells should have sounded sooner at Vodafone, which cut Simpson off four weeks into his download spree. In its defence, Voda told The Mirror that "the intensity of Ian's downloading was such that by the time our systems flagged anything up he had already racked up a massive bill".

The company will "try to come to some sympathetic arrangement" with Simpson. And it advises its customers to "never use a mobile as a modem".

This month, a Canadian man ran up an $85,000 bill, for also using his mobe as a PC modem. Bell Canada showed mercy and reduced charges to $3,243, which it based on "the best data plan available for using cellphones as a modem".

Article Source: The Register (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/27/massive_vodafone_uk_mobile_data_bill/)

miffed
28th December 2007, 09:38 AM
£27,000 eh ? A small price to pay for Vodafones excellent latency ! :D:p

Come on Vodafone !! - Surely you could have given the guy a call / SMS to tell him that he had exceeded the FUP ? - Of course , most operators would simply notify, warn, and not charge for the 'violation'

In a funny way , cases like this are a good thing , as heightened public awareness is likely to lead to some kind of SAY WHAT YOU BLOODY MEAN !! ruling being declared - Look at the trouble Ben got into a few months back ? - If a guy with as much Interest , knowledge and awareness such as Ben can get caught out by data pricing , then what chance does your average Joe Public have ? ..... NO CHANCE !!

O2 have set the ball rolling with PROPER all you can eat data , allbeit on a 2.5g device - but the o2 HSDPA network has snuk up on us around here - When the 3G iphone comes out (on whatever network) - then I'd guess this will also come with proper "all you can eat" 3G - this will be a "put up or shut up" time for all the other networks - and my guess is , all of them but T-mobile will choose "Shut up" :(

Ben
28th December 2007, 12:51 PM
Why did his account allow £27k of usage? I've heard of folk hitting 'credit limits' at about £80 and being asked to make a payment before they can use the phone again... why is there no upper cap on accounts generated by a formula based on average usage?

It may sound a little big-brotherish, but surely it's the only responsible thing to do? If a customers average spend is about £50 a month then surely a cap of £200 before at least a notification is triggered wouldn't be unreasonable?

Despite my own situation having had subtle differences, this sounds like another good example of Vodafone billing madness to me.

Vodafone should do what Bell did and restate the costs as if they had been run up using their 3G Broadband tariff - at the very least.

Please, somebody find out who makes up Vodafone's insane pricing schemes and insert a brain through their earholes before they manage to alienate anyone else.

Hands0n
28th December 2007, 01:50 PM
I chatted with the wife about this over breakfast. She who knows nothing about anything to do with mobile technology. Her comment was that if Vodafone's sysetms are capable billing such huge amounts why are they not equally capable of either warning or suspending data usage when the [artificial] cap has been reached!

Quite.

My own thoughts are that, in the light of this example, Vodafone [for one] should be commanded by OFCOM to suspend all private individual mobile data services until adequate and demonstrable safeguards are put into place to protect the customer.

That Vodafone can place a customer of theirs in a situation whereby he/she are facing bankruptcy is inexcusable on their part.

miffed
28th December 2007, 02:03 PM
I hope this really does bring all this into the light !

IMO this story demonstrates two things

1) Vodafones FUP is not a fair use policy at all , it is a limit - so they have no business AT ALL using the word "unlimited"

and

2) The limit of 120mb is obviously far too low !

MORPH
29th December 2007, 08:33 AM
What IS the best (and cheapest!) way to connect wirelessly to the internet (other than free wi-fi)? I was going to use my mobile as a modem too, but O2 said it's highly unrecommended, as has been proven by this guy!

chagle
29th December 2007, 08:57 AM
I use my phone as a modem on my Laptop but got ADSL for home. It's handy when you're out and about...

I'm with T-Mobile and subscribe to their Web N' Walk Plus which (I believe) gives you 3GB.

It's perfect!

Looking at the Vodafone website, they don't really give you much of an allowance for data, in fact from what I've seen it's around £7.50 for a couple of hundred MB (not GB)? Is this so? Are Vodafone still in the dark ages? Isn't it about time they caught up? [but I could be wrong here]

As for O2, I'm not sure. Do they really have a decent 3G network :-)

Recommend T-Mobile all the way. I've had no experience with Three, so can't really comment.

Hands0n
29th December 2007, 09:39 AM
What IS the best (and cheapest!) way to connect wirelessly to the internet (other than free wi-fi)? I was going to use my mobile as a modem too, but O2 said it's highly unrecommended, as has been proven by this guy!

In terms of value for money, and at today's standing, the two best offers for Mobile Data are

T-Mobile Web N Walk Plus = £12.50 for 3GB
3 Add Broadband Plus = £15.00 for 3GB

The other three (Vodafone, O2 and Orange) are not worth considering as their plans are either feeble (i.e. Vodafone's 120MB for £7.50 and of course a right royal kicking if you go one MB over and above, as witnessed by the story on this thread). O2 and Orange, in that order, charge punitive fees for having the audacity to use their mobile data and so are to be resisted at all times.

Even as late as 2007 moving into 2008 the Mobile Data situation is obscure and fraught with [financial] danger. That any mobile network operator could cause the financial ruination of an individual is sickening. Mobile Data as much as Cigarettes needs to have a big and bold health warning. But all of the operators bury the penalties, if any, within the small print that [they clearly know] nobody reads (I do, but thats another story altogether :) ). It is long past the time that the UK regulators need to pay a tight focus on Mobile Data and regulate these unwilling immovable mobile network operators into playing fair. At the moment they do not, and there will be repeated tales such as the above - if not quite as dramatic but equally devastating to the individual.

Golden Rule for anyone considering mobile data - Do Not Use Mobile Data ad-hoc and without a subscribed-to mobile data package from your network operator. Do Not Use Mobile Data when roaming abroad unless you are 105% certain that you know exactly what the costs are going to be.

miffed
29th December 2007, 10:51 AM
I use Web & Walk (Standard) for £7.50 a month , I have used this very heavily and have not heard a peep from T-mobile , I am sure I have broken the T&C many times , using the handset as a modem regularly -but not had so much as a warning
(In my defence, I have tried to apply the W&W plus upgrade via "my t-mobile" every month for the last 6 months !! - every time it acknowledges the upgrade , but when my billing cycle comes around I am back on W&W standard ! - I have started printing out the acknowledgements now just in case ! )

I also am using Three's £5 unlimited web add on thing , in a broadband modem , this appears to be giving me 1GB per month - only on PAYG so If they cut me off it's no biggy !

And then there is the "truly unlimited" o2 iPhone - although racking up more than a few 100MB on 2.5GB would be difficult I suspect !

Vodafone and Orange's attitude definately seems to be "If you can't beat them , then don't even bother trying" - I think their message is - If you MUST have data , then we'll supply it , but we will screw you for it.

Ben
29th December 2007, 12:45 PM
The 'best' way to get mobile data is a USB modem. Coupled with their data only SIM's, all of the networks that offer them do so with tariffs that equal or are preferable to anything available as an add-on to a normal tariff.

Why networks would want to keep data hungry customers separate from regular customers isn't clear to me. Perhaps it makes the network easier to manage in cases of severe congestion? Perhaps it purely makes bean counting easier? The networks do have the slight annoyance that modem capabilities are bundled with handsets like games are bundled with the Nintendo Wii, giving them little control over whether customers make use of the facility or not. Until recently, 'golden data' hasn't actually been about data at all, it has been about small portals selling premium 'data' content like ringtones. However, now we've moved to a real wireless-data age it's hard to understand why companies like Vodafone don't simply offer their 'Mobile Broadband' tariffs as add-ons to regular tariffs where customers request them.