View Full Version : Get your chops around this! (ultraportable Macbook)

Ben
3rd January 2008, 05:27 PM
Well, I've 'gone off' TrustedReviews a little lately because, well, since when have I needed a reason to go off something?

Anyway, they've got a picture up of what could, just could be the new Macbook: http://www.trustedreviews.com/apple/news/2008/01/03/Ultra-Portable-Mac-Pictured/p1

How much, and where do I queue?

Hands0n
3rd January 2008, 06:08 PM
Believe it or not ..... I am going to sit this one out :)

I think ..... :D

gorilla
3rd January 2008, 07:18 PM
Well as long as they don't touch the mini I'm happy. An ultra portable just doesn't do it for me. I can see the good points for having one, but I just don't need one.
Are you listening HandsOn...you don't need one!:p

This is one of these rumours that has merit, there is a big market for these small lappy's and if the price is right Apple will clean up (again). I wonder if it'll have a touch screen?

And now for another rumour (started by me here!) I believe Apple will not release a 3g iphone until the next round of spectrum has been sold off. That way they can launch an iphone on their own spectrum both here and in the USA.

Ok ok, it's a tad far fetched, but if google acquire apple like I read somewhere on the net, then they can launch the iphone on googles spectrum. :D

[I can't find it, but I think I read it in the Mirror! It's soo gonna happen]

gorilla
3rd January 2008, 08:23 PM
Rumours abound regarding my recent purchase, and here is a link (http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/macworld-transcripts-leaked/) to another!

Supposedly, transcripts for the Stevenote at Macworld this January have been leaked, though there are two of them, and they arequite a bit different. It is very likely that these are fake, though they do express what most Mac fans are wanting and expecting this Macworld.
Transcript number one lays out a Mac Mini update in the form of a Mac Nano, “a redesigned Mac Mini that is approximately half the height of its predecessor and in an anodized aluminum shell to match recent design changes in the Apple lineup.” The Mac Nano will be available in a 2.0 and 2.2 GHz version with 32 or 64 GB SSD, and the option to use a conventional hard drive, up to 160 GB, all 5400 rpm. The Nano will be shipping in February.

This would suit me, as I want a proper computer and not a scaled down version and the mini in its current guise fits the bill. But don't worry, I can still cancel my order!!!

Ben
3rd January 2008, 08:41 PM
You can return for a full refund for up to 14 days after receipt due to distance selling regs I think. My first mini was actually a lemon, but rather than mess around with replacements I simply returned it and started over. It only lived 48 hours, but I fell in love :D

I'm not sure about the Mac nano though. I'm sure it was rumoured last year as well... Not that it wouldn't be nice for the mini to get a redesign.

getti
3rd January 2008, 08:46 PM
I am just waiting for the new ultra-portable to be launched and il be 1st in line. Already have more than enough put back and still have money on my MacBook i can sell too

3g-g
4th January 2008, 01:18 PM
Have you seen this? http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/04/apple_docking_station_patent/

An iMac casing as a docking station for an Macbook to be slotted inside?

Nice!

gorilla
4th January 2008, 02:25 PM
Now that would be kinda cool.

Ben
4th January 2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, pretty great idea - you could jam some fans in the case to keep the thing cool then.

Hands0n
4th January 2008, 06:38 PM
I am really up a gumtree with this one.

I have the iPhone (and the iPod Touch) to give me ultra-portable web access on the move. Really, apart from one or two little things, I do not very often need actual processing horsepower on the move. When travelling I tend to like to relax (iPod) :cool: and work can wait (laptop/MacbookPro) until I get there.

Y'see, I have never been one of those chaps doing seven hours of lappy work :eek: on the morning plane to New York. I've been the geezer in the other seat quietly getting very pissed on the free hooch. :p