View Full Version : More Free Laptops, This Time With 3

Ben
10th January 2008, 07:34 AM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/news/2008/01/10/More-Free-Laptops-This-Time-With-3/p1

For your benefit then (and for the last time) I bring you news that a dealing is in the offing. This time it's Carphone Warehouse which is preparing to give a free Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop (above - which Andy reviewed favourably in August) to customers who sign up to 3's Mobile Broadband.

The package costs £35 per month for a 2.8Mbit connection with 3GB of monthly data allowance and also includes a free USB modem dongle and 200 text messages. Breaking its usual caveat of a 24 month contract, Carphone Warehouse is also going relatively easy on its customers by insisting only on an 18 month deal making the total cost £630 for a laptop and all that WiFi. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Naturally enough, as is typical for these headline grabbing antics, the free laptop offer will only last as long as stocks last (which is mostly likely half an hour before launch) so keep your eyes peeled for it popping up over the next few days.
Sounds pretty reasonable to me...

chaslam
10th January 2008, 07:49 AM
This article is interesting, as in my store we are about to start a similar deal on that same tariff, however the user gets a £300 voucher against a laptop in any PC world store. We are one of only 10 stores in the UK to have a vodafone stand, and the person who works at it wasnt to happy to say the least, but apparently they will be offering much a similar deal soon.
This is where the 3G data war really begins.

3GScottishUser
10th January 2008, 08:56 AM
I saw a similar article on the Mobile Today website about CPW giving free laptops with a 3 USB dongle deal but they are hardly free when what is on offer is actually £20 a month more than the package that 3 offer themselves minus the laptop!

It's the same 3GB allowance with a 200 SMS allowance for £35 a month with a 'free' laptop. 3 offer the USB dongle and 3GB a month for £15 a month!!

Hopefully folks will do their sums when they see this deal. £20 X 18 = £360 and that buys a good choice of Vista laptops these days!

Ben
10th January 2008, 09:12 AM
Well, they're using the same model as 'free' phones. We all know the phone isn't really free, Three are showing us as such with their funky price plans that vary depending on what phone you want. The Dell laptop is likely worth that £360.

3GScottishUser
10th January 2008, 09:16 AM
If the laptop has a decent spec and Vista Home premium then perhaps. One way of looking at the deal is that the deferred payment of the laptop is also 'intrest free'.

3 are pushing hard with marketing on buses etc suggesting folks could be browsing the net using their USB dongle whilst they travel. Nice idea and a great way of creating awareness but the coverage reality might prove a problem especially where I have seen some of those buses!! HSDPA one second and roaming on Orange the next!!

gorilla
10th January 2008, 09:22 AM
3GSU, I take your point, but for someone who can't afford to buy a laptop (assuming they have no home computer) this is cheap way to get one. Look upon it as a credit deal.

Edit, I had read the above recent posts!

Hopefully the network sharing deal with Tmobile will ensure that 3.5g is nationwide by 2009.

3GScottishUser
10th January 2008, 09:43 AM
Agreed for folks who have a need for a complete portable Internet package then this could prove an option.

The major issue that arises is when they unwrap their new laptop and plug in the dongle and can't get coverage when they use the service at their home. I have already found large resedential areas of Glasgow where 3 don't have any coverage of their own and whilst things may improve by 2009 it's unlikely anyone would be prepared to wait that long for a service.

I have had the Mobile Broadband £10 a month add-on for 6 weeks or so now and I am struggling to get value from it. This is primarily due to lack of coverage and I am now considering changing to mobile web at £5 a month and paying any small charges for laptop use as they arise.

miffed
10th January 2008, 09:47 AM
Interesting , the article says the laptop comes with a Three "dongle" - whereas the review suggests the Laptop is HSDPA enabled itself

Ben
10th January 2008, 12:10 PM
Dells are highly customisable. I'll eat my hat if the free laptop comes anywhere close to the spec reviewed by TR.