View Full Version : iPhone Update 1.1.3

miffed
15th January 2008, 09:49 PM
My heart stopped for a minute there !

The update process seemed to go OK - I got a message , telling me how to move icons up and set up new home screens - then I noticed I had no signal !
Looking into it , my iPhone had reverted to a non activated state :eek:

Plugging it into iTunes made no difference , it just sort of sat there :(

So I gave it a reboot , and it asked to be plugged into iTunes , where it immedietely "reactivated" itself ....Whew !

All the new features are in place - moving the icons around is easy , and adding shortcuts to webpages and clips is a doddle - plus setting up a second homepage with and putting all the bits I dont use onto it was childs play - much neater !
Maps is improved to , the interface is slicker , the way you can lift the corner of a map up to reveal options is cool ,
Also a locate feature has been added - this works by Cellular mast and wifi hotspot triangulation - seems to work quite well too - although I am not sure if the wifi bit is actually up and running yet (skyhook? ) seems pretty accurate though considering :)

Hands0n
15th January 2008, 10:13 PM
Wow! A few nice surprises in there .... There is scant information on the web but the "Important Information" panel of the upgrade says that the new features include (other than bug fixes) the following

New Maps application
- Find location
- Improved UI
Send SMS text messages to multiple recipients
Customise Home Screen
- Rearrange icons
- Add Safari bookmarks to the Home Screen
- Create up to 9 Home Screen pages
IMAP support for Gmail
Support for iTunes Store movie rentals
Enhanced Video Player
- Chapters
- Subtitles
- Alternate language tracks
Lyrics support in iPod

Now the scary bit ..... Will it remember all of my settings? I've got loads in there. Fingers crossed that Apple will strut it's usual stuff :D

gorilla
15th January 2008, 10:14 PM
Also a locate feature has been added
So you've finally caught up with google maps on the N95!!!!!

Edit:
Well my response was meant to be the first reply to the OP, but having read the above, I'll stand by my comment :-)

Hands0n
15th January 2008, 10:41 PM
Google Maps on the N95 rocks :)

Google Maps on the iPhone is bloody good, even without "locate".

To hell with all of that though - I just wanted to be able to send SMS to multiple reciptients.

7 minutes and the iPhone is just booting up from its firmware update to 1.1.3.

8 minutes and its pretty much job done. A nice message "iPhone is activated" has come up - probably all to do with the new lockdown algorithms.

In typical Apple fashion, the new firmware is doing a bit of friendly hand-holding

Edit Home screen
To rearrange icons, touch and hold any icon until it starts to wiggle, then drag icons to desired locations.
Drag an icon to the far right to create additional Home screens.
Press the Home button when done.

How very nice of Apple :D

Into SMS - and its kept all of my message content! SMS on the iPhone is still arranged as Chat. But you can create a new message and address it to several recipients. This shows up as a pair of heads in the Text Messages screen. If one of the recipients replies a new chat "thread" is created. I suppose thats fair enough.

Google Maps looks nice. The locate works reasonably accurately, I think it is slightly off by a small distance, but nothing much if you was wondering where the heck you were on a cold dark wet and windy night ..... errr, pretty much like tonight!

The Safari browser is as good as ever. But a nice touch is the ability to save a page to the Home Screen. I've created a "page 2" on which some of my favourite websites are located. It is nice to see them visually. One touch launches Safari and you're in and reading the page. How easy can that be? Nice one Apple.

Finally, the enhanced Video Player app looks and feels the same. On screen there is now a Chapters button, I do not have anything to test the other features.

Overall - If I had to give a one-word summary of the iPhone firmware 1.1.3 it would be "Quicker". The entire handset function just seems to be that noticeable bit quicker moving form app to app.

And finally, the best bit for the last .... The new version of the firmware enables 3G on the iPhone!!! :eek:

Well, no, it doesn't, I just made that bit up.

NB: Warning** - If you've jailbroken and unlocked your iPhone (I haven't) then 1.1.3 will lock it up nice and tight again.