View Full Version : Ofcom spectrum consultation angers O2 and Vodafone

3GScottishUser
20th January 2008, 11:39 AM
O2 and Vodafone have reacted with anger to Ofcom’s consultation on reclaiming some of the spectrum the two operators use for their 2G services, and auctioning it off to competing operators to use for 3G services.

The regulator argues that the industry would benefit more from using the 900MHz spectrum for 3G instead of 2G.

The two operators, however, claim that in the consultation Ofcom has grossly underestimated the cost Vodafone and O2 would incur and overestimated the benefits.

If the operators are forced to give up the spectrum they would have to migrate a large number of 2G customers to their 3G networks. As a result they would need to increase the capacity of the 3G network and upgrade customers’ handsets.

O2 says it would have to build 7,000 new towers, and estimates the total cost to the industry to be £13 billion. The operator says it would have to reduce 3G prices to get customer to move to the faster network. This, O2 says, would force all other operators to decrease their prices and result in a loss of profits for the industry as a whole.

Although all operators are pushing their customers to move to their 3G networks, the time frame Ofcom is suggesting is unrealistic, O2’s spokesman says. The regulator is hoping to auction off the frequency by 2010.

Vodafone, meanwhile, has come up with an alternative proposal, urging the regulator to consider other technologies. ‘We believe that a less interventionist approach is appropriate with operators exploring spectrum trading, leasing, sharing, national roaming or use of substitute technology, such as WiMax,’ Vodafone responded.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/Ofcom_spectrum_consultation_angers_O2_Vodafone.htm l

Ben
21st January 2008, 09:19 AM
I can see where O2 and Vodafone are coming from, despite my desire to see 3G in the 900MHz band.

Personally, I think the best solution would be to allow the use of 3G and other technologies within existing licences, so 900MHz and 1800MHz. The licence owners should also be able to resell spectrum to other companies, even if that means the government put a dedicated levy on profits made from those sales.

I don't think encroaching on the UK's excellent GSM 900 services by regulation is necessary yet. Give the networks the freedom first, and only take action if the market can't make the changes on its own.