View Full Version : ‘Record sales’ for LG Viewty

3GScottishUser
22nd January 2008, 09:54 AM
LG claims the Viewty phone has delivered record sales for the company. The device, often pitched as a low-cost alternative to an iPhone, has notched up 550,000 sales worldwide after two and half months.

LG is also announcing a ‘Dark Silver’ version of the phone which will be on sale by the end of January 2008.

The LG Viewty launched in November last year and includes a five-megapixel camera and a three-inch touch-screen. The new ‘Dark Silver’ Viewty is similar to the black version but with a re-designed jog-wheel to make scrolling the menus easier, following consumer feedback.

LG expects the Viewty to continue to sell well, with up to 10,000 units leaving store shelves daily. More colour choices will also be available this year.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/LG_Viewty_sales_record.html

Ben
22nd January 2008, 10:42 AM
What do you think, 3GSU? Does the handset justify those impressive sales figures?

After the initial excitement over the features I've actually never been interested in this handset, to the extent that I've never even glimpsed a dummy model. Whatever the lure is of this handset, it's bouncing right off of me.

miffed
22nd January 2008, 01:39 PM
Simple

It tries to emulate the iPhone - Great !

It's not the iPhone - Even greater !

The "iPhone sucks" brigade are the biggest collective of sheep since people started buying Robbie Williams records , So the viewty is in the ideal position - i.e. as the iPhones closest rival , it is automatically the 'peoples hero'
I played with one and didn't get on TBH , after using the iPhone for a few weeks , I found myself really having to push hard on the viewty's screen to get "touches" to register - and the screen seemed a little on the narrow side
Oh , and plus Windows mobile devices are often criticised for having Styluses (Stylii ? ) - But on WM devices , these slot into the device and "dissappear" , fitting flushly into the casing
- Whereas , the Viewty's stylus is innovatively tied on with a piece of string :D: - Clever eh ? ;)

getti
22nd January 2008, 04:48 PM
Where i work they are flying out. The silver ones are well sweet too (not on sale yet) and i might pick 1 up

Hands0n
22nd January 2008, 07:31 PM
Whereas , the Viewty's stylus is innovatively tied on with a piece of string : - Clever eh ?

Oh FFS, don't even think of getting me started! :D

3GScottishUser
23rd January 2008, 09:06 AM
I think the Viewty has quite a lot going for it as a competitor to the i-phone.

Firstly its a 3G device and has HSDPA so its no slouch and can access data both on the screen and as a modem efficiently.

The touchscreen has some limitations but in general I have found it quite easy to use and the slight vibration to confirm the touch makes it pretty user friendly.

The Viewty's camera is the i-phone killer application. With 5MP and stunning 120FPS video the Viewty makes the i-phone's imaging look like a toy! The inclusion of video editing and Muvee allow you to make great videos on the handset and with one click of the send button they can be sent straight to Youbube! At last a piece of technology that allows folks to shoot some video and share it instantly without having to have a degree in computing!!

I have been impressed by the big LCD display and the Viewty's ability to cope with DiVX and other video formats when downloaded and as a music player it seems competent and has everything needed to store and organise a decent sized selection of songs.

Having had the Nokia N80 and now the Viewty I would say the latter has the more intuitive interface and I still enjoy using it well after the 'novelty value' has gone. I think it helps when you have access to a wide range of affordable services like Skype, Messenger, Internet Access etc, etc, to make full use of the handset's potential. Many high tech handsets are crippled not by firmware but by the sheer cost and non-availability of Internet based services.

Watch out for a sample pic or two...... I will be posting a couple in the next few days from the Viewty.

3g-g
24th January 2008, 01:46 AM
i just put a few minutes long 120fps video onto the computer there and it's a good 10MB in size, I'll cut it down to the points where it shows the high speed video at its best and get it on here, it's pretty impressive, for what's really just a mobile phone!

Hands0n
24th January 2008, 06:47 AM
LOL @ 120fps video - the human eye cannot resolve that speed. Great for doing post editing though, slo-mo and that kind of stuff... :cool: