View Full Version : Nokia grabs 40% of phone market for first time

Ben
25th January 2008, 01:01 AM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/24/sa_q4_phone_figures/

According to market watcher Strategy Analytics, Apple shifted 2.3m iPhones worldwide during Q4 2007. That's just ten per cent of the 23.7m handsets fifth-placed LG sold in the period. Sony Ericsson managed 30.8m units, Motorola 40.9m and Samsung 46.4m phones. Nokia sold a staggering 133.5m mobiles.

That left the Finnish phone giant with a 40.2 per cent market share, the highest in its history. Samsung took 14 per cent, Motorola 12.3 per cent, Sony Ericsson 9.3 per cent and LG 7.1 per cent.
If you'd told me a few years back when all the Nokia clones were filling the stores that Nokia's market share in 2008 would be higher than ever I'd have laughed in your face.

Bravo, Nokia. The good phones are few and far between, but damn, flooding the market with a million different variations on the humble mobile seems to have worked out rather nicely.

miffed
25th January 2008, 08:12 AM
Eh ? my brain hurts !!

I thought we established yesterday that Motorola were "dying" - yet here they are thriving in third place ? :confused:

Interesting though , I suppose - to try and compare figures (on equal terms) of a company that has been in the mobile (retail) market since 1982 and has 54 "current" models on its site (which it revolves on an almost monthly basis - with a company that has only just it second quarter in the industry , and has ONE product to sell !

Ben
25th January 2008, 09:29 AM
Oh no, Moto are dying all right, but they've still got a lot further to fall before they hit the floor and then go straight through it and into the basement.