View Full Version : My new toy !

miffed
25th January 2008, 10:56 AM
Just messing around really , but - I had sorted myself out some cash to put towards the new Macbook air (which I no longer want )

So ...the sensible thing would be to put the money in the bank , right ?
Nah ! - I simply had to find a new gadget to buy !

So , I looked around - I have a current obsession with UMPC's , but I simpy won't buy an HTC shift now on principle ,as the launch date has been put off & put off (fine HTC , you want to be like that you can keep it ! )

So anyway , Heres what I found to spend my spare cash on :)

http://www.expansys.com/zoompic.aspx?type=item&i=129271

It really does seem to be the ultimate on portability , and makes the eee look like a huge waste of space in comparison !
It gets a bit warm , and the screen is a little dull , but it is one of these high contrast jobby's , so you get the impression it is crap , but then when you use is in bright sunlight you realise it is fine !
I set it up , installed AV , windows updates etc , did a bit of surfing - then decided to install XP pro :rolleyes: - It is currently running Tablet edition , - but I remember my Advent u1a's performance improved 10 fold when I installed standard XP on it ! - the Tablet stuff seems to slow it down dramtically
...So just going through the install now ! - I made a point of getting hold of all the dirvers beforehand to be safe :D

I really like it ! as a toy it's great , and I'd consider getting one of the newer models now (there is one with built in HSDPA ! )

Ben
25th January 2008, 12:31 PM
Wow, I've always loved the thought of an OQO. Grats!

miffed
25th January 2008, 12:42 PM
Cheers !

The "metal" quality of this device it great , really feels robust

The keyboard is a bit weird ,sort buttons with a membrane overlay - but is is REALLY easy to use , best of any mobile device I think , with thumbpad to the right of the keyboard and Left/right click buttons to the left , it feels really natural when you are using the "two thumbs" approach to operation

Also , you'd think the screen would be too small to even use , but it is surprising how well you get on with it

This is one of those purchases that I thought was a good Idea , but now I want the "new" model !

Ben
25th January 2008, 01:20 PM
I hear you there, integrated HSDPA would be a great addition if nothing else. The OQO model e2 does look cool... but IMHO the original still looks the best!

Hands0n
25th January 2008, 07:12 PM
Very nice. I was just reading about the OQO the other day - I wouldn't jump until the HSDPA one came out .... But very nice it looks.

miffed
26th January 2008, 10:05 AM
It's funny , I have shown the OQO to a couple of mates , and they all said the same thing - it looks like a Mac ! - Which , TBH I could not see myself , OK so it has a mac-esque power button , with a pulsating white power light when in standby , and the battery has a button on it with 4 LED's that act as a level meter , and of course , there it a nice metal finish
But it certainly doesn't look like the mac's I am familiar with

Then , lo and behold , I stumble upon this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OQO

Turn out the OQO is the project of the former TiBook team from Apple !
made by Apple engineers because Apple refused to make it

Seem a shame to be running windows on it ! - but then because of the Transmeta Crusoe CPU It doesn't look like OS X is an option - maybe I should look at the linux options ?

miffed
27th January 2008, 10:52 AM
I must say this transflective screen stuff is interesting - never encountered it before
when using the device in normal conditions , the screen brightness is 'adequate' at best , but you have the feeling that , if the sun crept over your shoulder, you'd be buggered
The truth is , move the unit into direct sunlight , and the screen becomes even more readable !! - very strange - you can even kill the backlight altogether and sit in direct sunlight and use the machine quite happpily, safe in the knowledge that you are conserving battery power !
of course , a simply brighter diplay would look nicer on your desk -but for an (adventurously) battery powered device that is designed to be used on the fly - I think it is brilliant !

Ben
27th January 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm sure my old iPAQs had transflective screens... at least they claimed to have transflective screens, it was all lies IMHO :D Glad to hear the one on the OQO works as intended, even if it does mean the screen is dull using the backlight. Last summer I was trying to play on a Nintendo DS outside - you just can't, for all I could see it might as well have been switched off. Portable devices need indoor/outdoor displays, IMHO.

Hands0n
27th January 2008, 06:06 PM
.....you can even kill the backlight altogether and sit in direct sunlight and use the machine quite happpily.....

What?!! :confused: Amazing!!! :eek: Even in Britain? :cool: Cor :rolleyes:

You mean that OQO have actually managed to bend the laws of physics and produce "direct sunlight" in Blighty?

Feck, damned clever if you ask me :p