View Full Version : O2 Sim-only, more excellent value

Hands0n
29th January 2008, 08:51 PM
Possibly in line with what has been going on with their contract tariffs that start on 1 Feb (see other thread in this section) I have noticed that O2's SIM-only deal has suddenly got a bit good!

Just looking at their £15 30-day SIM-only deal (Simplicity) http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simonly the deal gives 200 mins, 400 texts and unlimited calls to other O2 numbers! Yes, unlimited - FUP applies, but that cuts in at 2,000 mins.

If you are "a bit of a texter" then another £10 gets you "Unlimited O2" can be set to include 2,000 texts to any other network!! Noone gives 2,000 texts away for a tenner (yet).

Unlimited O2
Unlimited O2 benefits are available when you stay on an eligible tariff. Fair usage policy applies above 2000 UK minutes to O2 mobiles or 2000 UK texts to any UK network.

I notice also that O2 have re-introduced Videocalling at standard rate, which may promote use of this underutilised technology.

3. UK video calls
Handset dependent. Video calls are priced identically to voice calls and are included in your minute allowances.

Let it be said, I am no O2 fan. In fact I have quite a dislike of their network - the 3G of which is about as feeble as a candle flame in a force 9 gale. But if you are going for core business (calls and texts, thats what its all about) then O2 are certainly barking up the right tree. If they can sort out their network coverage (2G as well as 3G) and return to being as available and reliable as Cellnet were, they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

getti
29th January 2008, 09:14 PM
If you are "a bit of a texter" then another £10 gets you "Unlimited O2" can be set to include 2,000 texts to any other network!! Noone gives 2,000 texts away for a tenner (yet).

3 have since Mix & Match in November. Add Text 2000 costs £10 but is not advertised you have to ask for it

Hands0n
29th January 2008, 09:22 PM
3 have since Mix & Match in November. Add Text 2000 costs £10 but is not advertised you have to ask for it

Good old 3 :rolleyes: I stand by my words .... ".... Noone gives 2,000 texts away for a tenner (yet)...".

Hiding it away from public view does not count ....... :p But I won't take it away from 3, thats a nice bit of business (once you know about it).

Next up, I expect to see a true Unlimited data package from one of the incumbents. Oh, hang on a minute, I've got one on my iPhone [just that it isn't on 3G, yet].

Gawd, this is making me sound like a right old O2 Fanbois :D

solo12002
29th January 2008, 09:32 PM
Oh this is great. Sorry did someone asy 02 had a 3g network?

Not in most of Northern Ireland, O2 is Fing useless, years behind here, no point in offering things like video calling and limited data access if you cant get access full stop.

Hands0n
29th January 2008, 11:52 PM
Hmm, not sure what O2 are up to. If they promote more business on a network that cannot cope with what it has already they are going to head for a lot of illwill and bad press. There is too much competition out there for them to be able to afford that. I wonder, then, if O2 are not quietly working in the background to meet any demand that such tariffs are likely to promote. Because all of a sudden, O2 have gone from being very lacklustre in the tariff department to providing some real toe-to-toe competition with its rivals.

For iPhone users, at least, the new allowances coupled with the unlimited [albeit EDGE and WiFi] data are compelling. But I don't think it will do anything to halt or slow down the unlocking of iPhones for use on other networks.

Edit: This latest by O2 now leaves Vodafone and Orange with very meagre tariffs by comparison, and for data they trail in the dust left by the three leads (T-Mobile, 3 and now O2). One has to wonder what the response will be.

jenhenry
1st July 2009, 10:52 AM
O2 have some great offers now for their sim only contracts. I get 150 minutes and 300 texts for only £10 per month :) (http://www.uksimdeals.co.uk ) I love the new sim only contracts because they work on a 30 day contract rather than 12 months like the old ones. Heres the link if anyone is interested - http://shop.o2.co.uk/sim-only-simplicity