View Full Version : More Value on SIM Only and Contract tariffs

Hands0n
31st January 2008, 07:13 PM
To relate a Customer Service experience of a few moments ago this evening.

SIM-only, 30 day contract
My young lad (13) is on a £15pm Vodafone 30-day contract SIM-only deal which gave him 200 mins and 100 texts. It was not unusual for him to go over the text allowance by a bit (and once by a large amount) and so the £15 could become £20 or higher. I was not really happy with the situation and had started looking around for better value.

Last night I was on the O2 website during the hiatus about the new iPhone tariffs (another thread on T3G) when I bumped into O2 SIMplicity, their 30-day SIM-only for £15 that offered 200mins and 400 texts, ideal for the lad. And so it was that tonight I was going to can his Vodafone SIM-only and replace it with a new O2 deal. But that all changed during a short visit to Bluewater this afternoon. Walking past the Vodafone store I nearly tripped over my shoelaces when I saw their new 30-day SIM-only offer ... £15, 150 mins and 500 texts. That would suit him down to the ground.

It took a few minutes on the phone with Vodafone to get the 30-day contract changed to the new tariff. Fortunately the contracts start on the 1st of each month so my timing is ideal too. 500 texts will suit the lad down to the ground, even when he is in lurve :)

Pay Monthly Contract
Next up it was the wife's turn. She was on an £25pm 18-month contract providing 150 mins + 10% with 100 texts, Stop the Clock and Passport. We called Vodafone to try and get her the new £25 with 225 mins and 250 texts, but they wouldn't let her have it because it is for new customers only. But undeterred, the Vodafone CS went deeper into the system and found a nice little set of terms for us and set her up with 150+50% (225 mins) plus 250 texts, STC and Passport for the same £25. Sorted.

It can be very nice to do the biz with Vodafone. I've said it before, the helpfulness of the CSRs go a long way to making one feel slightly valued. As opposed to some networks that encourage you to leave in a huff and go to another network!

Unfortunatley T3G's forum only allows me to give a single thumbs up on the title when it really deserves Two Thumbs :D Big slap on the back Vodafone. Y'all done good again.

Ben
31st January 2008, 08:57 PM
Good stuff, it's a promising sign that they've managed to retain your business in the face of such fierce competition. Their 'Promotions' team has helped me twice to snag deals that I, technically speaking, wasn't eligible for - and I've spoken to more really good staff than bad eggs.

Hands0n
31st January 2008, 09:50 PM
Heh, I didn't even get as far as the Promotions team - I got this sorted out with the first person I spoke with (191 option 2, 1) :) Gotta love it when things just work so smoothly and effectively.