View Full Version : HP IPAQ 6515 on Three UK

rabthree
1st February 2008, 04:39 PM
Hi every one,

I bought a Three simcard to use on my HP IPAQ 6515 which is a PDA or Pocket PC.
My main interest is to use the mobile broadband from three.

It did work on my HP for the first 02 days and now i can't even get the GSM signal like there is no coverage which no true because i can still use the sim on my Nokia 7600 and there is plenty of signal.

When i run a GSM diagonistic software on the HP, it show that the sim coulldn't register with the three network even doesn't give any error.

I phoned the THREE technical team and they say there is no thing wrong with the sim bacause it does work on Nokia. But how come it was perfectly working on my HP and now is not.
Any simlair sinario or any sugetions.

thanks boys and girls.

rab

solo12002
1st February 2008, 05:49 PM
This is easy to resolve, your question that is:

Your HP IPAQ 6515 is a Integrated quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE phone, and its my guess that Three have blocked you from using your sim card in a non 3g device.

Ben
1st February 2008, 06:34 PM
Welcome to Talk3G!

Yup, solo12002 is spot on. Your handset has been blocked because it doesn't support 3G, and Three are a 3G network.

Yes, Three do have roaming agreements with Orange, and previously O2, for GSM, but they don't let you use it exclusively. It costs them too much.

rabthree
2nd February 2008, 07:28 PM
Welcome to Talk3G!

Yup, solo12002 is spot on. Your handset has been blocked because it doesn't support 3G, and Three are a 3G network.

Yes, Three do have roaming agreements with Orange, and previously O2, for GSM, but they don't let you use it exclusively. It costs them too much.

My HP IPAQ does support 3 G network.
Good thing, it is working now. I don't have any explanation, i guess these devices got a mind of their own some times.
Thanks for showing interest.

rabthree
2nd February 2008, 07:34 PM
:p
Welcome to Talk3G!

Yeah, it may be the case because it shows some times orange but for some for unknown raisons now it is working. I am glad it is now but for how long I don't know.
Thank you very much

Ben
2nd February 2008, 07:48 PM
Well, may it last for as long as it lasts. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support 3G!

Hands0n
3rd February 2008, 12:39 AM
The HP iPAQ 6515 is not a 3G device - it is a Quad Band EDGE capable handset only (see here (http://www.3gwirelesstech.com/3gphones/hp-ipaq-6515/) ) which is why 3 cut it off after a couple of days. It will only connect to a valid 2G/2.5G signal which means Orange or O2 if using a 3 USIM.

Expect the iPAQ 6515 to get cut off again pretty soon. Even if not permanently you will no doubt find that 3 will detect it each time you go back to it and will cut it off. I suspect that you only got the SIM working again because you used it in a 3G-capable handset which allowed you to sign on again to 3's own 3G network. It will let you drop back to 2G when out of coverage, but like the others have said, as soon as it is detected that you are using 2G in a 3G area they'll bump you off of the network again.

rabthree
5th February 2008, 05:40 PM
It looks to me that I am using Orange network with three simcard.
It may that Orange and Three have an agrement of some kind.
It does work so far with GPRS but I can only use MSN massenger for POCKET PC and Internet Explorer go for ever with out bringing up any web page.
Thanks to you all

rab;)

Ben
5th February 2008, 06:07 PM
Yes, Orange currently provide Three's GSM connectivity, but roaming on Orange is expensive for Three (compared to you using their own network) which is why it's highly likely that your handset will be blocked.

Enjoy it, though!

gorilla
6th February 2008, 12:03 PM
Back in the days I had my 6680, I use to lock it to GSM for months at a time due to the 3g network being so poor. I never had a problem, but I suspect that was because every now and again I would switch to 3g.

Nowadays, I'm rarely off 3g thanks to three's great coverage!

Ben
6th February 2008, 12:41 PM
I think it probably has something to do with the device IMEI as well... it would probably make the 'aliens' easier to identify.

rabthree
6th February 2008, 01:36 PM
I think it probably has something to do with the device IMEI as well... it would probably make the 'aliens' easier to identify.

I thought about the IMEI number so when I complain to Three technical people, they said , they can only block Three mobile phone only. I don't think it is true. What do u think?
:confused:

Ben
6th February 2008, 02:22 PM
I think they were confused with blocking due to loss/theft.

IMEI restrictions of 2G-only handsets or other non-allowable devices is entirely possible but would be done at a higher, technical level - CS or the stores are unlikely to have any knowledge of it.